New Keepers and Strikers

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Our success this season will depend upon finding some.

What are your expectations?

I doubt we'll get new keepers.  The two have been deemed, rightly or wrongly, to be good enough to be Championship level.  

Surely we are due another striker even if we don't lose any.  Squad is so bare, we'll be signing at least another 6, especially now we've been given the green light to spend big money.

100% we need a 40 game proper striker.

Paterson and Windass, if they stay, are reasonable attacking midfielders, but if they are our strikers we are doomed. 

I hope we don’t buy/loan half-arsed bits ‘n pieces forwards like last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

We need one keeper, not keepers. Dawson or Wildsmith are fine for half a dozen games as injury cover, but absolutely disastrous as first choice.

IF they are disastrous as first choices then  surely there  not good enough to play whether 1 , 6, or 10 games .........you have to have 2 who are capable of playing  at the level we are at..

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

100% we need a 40 game proper striker.

Paterson and Windass, if they stay, are reasonable attacking midfielders, but if they are our strikers we are doomed. 

I hope we don’t buy/loan half-arsed bits ‘n pieces forwards like last year. 

We will be fine because we don't have Monk here the bloke that signed a winger that had score 4 goals in 3 seasons (75 appearances) and called him a striker (Kachunga)

This season there are so many players available even now, instead of signing players we don't need the recruitment is very simple, or should be, 2 strikers that for the last 2 season have played games up front and scored goals, a left back with league experience preferably either league one of championship - which makes not keeping Penney seem such a strange decision. We do not have a single right footer right sided midfielder at the club, so at least one is needed. Then if finance allow an experience keeper. Then if we lose a player such as Borner, Windass, Bannan they are replaced like for like, if we go younger and promising I don't mind as they will likely be cheaper.

We also need to look at every player that is 1 year or less in contract by the time we reach January the players we are keeping need resigning to longer deals the rest need selling in January as we cannot allows millions in players to leave on frees next summer at the very least we save on the wages. Sheffield Wednesday needs to start being run as a business that has numerous source of income not just one. (the fans)

We also need to make sure this season we run the club properly as I suspect we could have issues the following season when the ground sale profit year drops off the 3 year rolling calculation if that is how they do it in league 1?

• Like 2

Would be good to try and beat Ipswich to the loan signing of Sam Cosgrove, as he'd score a decent amount in League 1...even if Windass goes and we get cash and Cosgrove on loan.

Think Charlton have picked up the best goalkeeping freebie from Portsmouth, and if a other keeper comes in will probably be a loan....Josh Griffiths still hasn't gone anywhere on loan, so perhaps we might finally be able to get that done. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

We will be fine because we don't have Monk here the bloke that signed a winger that had score 4 goals in 3 seasons (75 appearances) and called him a striker (Kachunga)

This season there are so many players available even now, instead of signing players we don't need the recruitment is very simple, or should be, 2 strikers that for the last 2 season have played games up front and scored goals, a left back with league experience preferably either league one of championship - which makes not keeping Penney seem such a strange decision. We do not have a single right footer right sided midfielder at the club, so at least one is needed. Then if finance allow an experience keeper. Then if we lose a player such as Borner, Windass, Bannan they are replaced like for like, if we go younger and promising I don't mind as they will likely be cheaper.

We also need to look at every player that is 1 year or less in contract by the time we reach January the players we are keeping need resigning to longer deals the rest need selling in January as we cannot allows millions in players to leave on frees next summer at the very least we save on the wages. Sheffield Wednesday needs to start being run as a business that has numerous source of income not just one. (the fans)

We also need to make sure this season we run the club properly as I suspect we could have issues the following season when the ground sale profit year drops off the 3 year rolling calculation if that is how they do it in league 1?

You sir have hot the nail on the head.

My question would be though, how much of the above will actually happen ??

• Like 1

Since our recent recruitment policy ( last 3 seasons or so) has been a slow motion car crash, I'm not hopeful that DM can turn it into a sensible policy over night.

That assumes he really has been given control.