BREAKING NEWS - Sheffield Wednesday Embargo LIFTED

24 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

How does he come to that conclusion ?

The list the EFL released for teams under an embargo didn't include us did it ?

he hasn’t given an explanation he’s just saying that is what he is led to believe from the club. Perhaps a punishment for the late wages and late accounts even though they have now been handed in. 

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

he hasn’t given an explanation he’s just saying that is what he is led to believe from the club. Perhaps a punishment for the late wages and late accounts even though they have now been handed in. 

For there to be a punishment, there would have to be a regulation we have breached and as we weren't on the sanction list, don't see how the EFL could impose anything. 

Maybe we are at our wage limit (75% of expected revenue). Either needs a player sale or Chansiri to donate some money for transfer fees. Not an impossible workaround I suspect if we wanted to

We can't sign players for fees but we can sign free agents. We could do that when in an embargo so what's actually changed.

We couldn't sign loan players before if a loan fee was demanded and I suspect that is still the case. Most decent players going out on loan will probably command a fee, so quite frankly we're unlikely to get five or six decent players if indeed any at all.

Could well be another season screwed up before a ball is kicked to go alongside last season. How not to run a club!

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

We can't sign players for fees but we can sign free agents. We could do that when in an embargo so what's actually changed.

We couldn't sign loan players before if a loan fee was demanded and I suspect that is still the case. Most decent players going out on loan will probably command a fee, so quite frankly we're unlikely to get five or six decent players if indeed any at all.

Could well be another season screwed up before a ball is kicked to go alongside last season. How not to run a club!

I'll bet ya, we can and do!! 

3 hours ago, Junglejay said:

No, I mean that Derby, like others, including Wednesday, rolled the dice and opted to gamble on a promotion charge, which outright wasn't sustainable.  However, it was done with a view to sticking two fingers up at FFP and paying what would effectively be a small fine whilst in the promised land of the Premier League.  It clearly didn't work for either of us and this forced both clubs to go down the route of creative/clever accounting, or looking for loopholes to cover losses.

You've rightly mentioned we all suffer as fans but it still stands that if neither club had tried to cheat the system in the first place, we wouldn't be in the current financial mess we both find ourselves in - I'm afraid that this simply doesn't happen by accident.  

ok I see where you are coming from. You might be right but I think our spending spree was pure incompetence. MM kept sacking managers - mclaren, Clement, Pearson, mclaren again - and each time the new manager was invited to bring in the players he wanted. The ceo was sacked for “lack of fiduciary control”. That’s when I think the penny dropped, but it was too late. The damage was done.

When Frank came in, he was allowed to start spending again and bring in Mount, tomori and Wilson - that was our deliberate dash for the line funded by the secret sale of Pride Park, which was concealed from the fans. No-one stood up to Mel and said “hang on a minute you mad bugger, you’re going to get us into the 💩 here”. Frank admitted that he knew nothing about ffp when he arrived. 

it’s been a huge learning curve for all clubs, but it seems ridiculous to be still trying to apply penalties and points deductions for errors made six years ago by an owner who wants out. It’s water under the bridge. Our wages have since plummeted from £40m to £14m. All the crap we bought has been released on frees - apart from Lawrence. We are now almost a model sustainable club, developing our own players through the academy and spending nowt. Wages are well below income. What we need now is a proper coach and manager and to get back to rebuilding our soiled reputation. 

3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

We dont have to get the EFL's permission to sign free players, let them set the maximum wages we can offer, and do stuff like justify why we are signing another goalkeeper when we have four on the books.

Embargoed clubs have to do all those things.

Edited by owlinexile