BREAKING NEWS - Sheffield Wednesday Embargo LIFTED

9 hours ago, Junglejay said:

Yeah because the EFL were over the moon with that decision, they're only biding their time to come down on Derby with their resubmitted accounts.  I'm well aware we've got no right to take the moral high ground with financial matters but Derby knew full well what they were doing.  

if by that you mean that they were deliberately cheating and concealing the fact, then no, I don’t think they were.

if you mean they thought they were being clever and finding a loophole then yes.

the only glimmer of hope is that derby submitted to the disciplinary committee details of what the accounts would show if they had used “straight line amortisation”. I wouldn’t have thought that they would do that if the results showed that we had failed. Who knows mate. My prediction was that we would fail ffp so we’ll just have to wait another 5 or 6 weeks to find out.

I’m just a fan same as you lot are. We suffer because of what our owners do or fail to do. It makes no difference whether we like it or not. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think if they could get decent money for some of there young talent. Mel would have flogged them by now. So that can pay the clubs bills instead of him.

Or he expects more for them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Or he expects more for them. 

Probably right. But one thing we do know is Mel Morris don't want to be footing the bills for Derby anymore and is desperate to sell the club. So even 3 million for a player maybe worth 5m you would think would have been out the door to get Mel 3m back in his pocket. 

I think its maybe like us with Windass. Teams are smelling blood and making ridiculously low offers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Probably right. But one thing we do know is Mel Morris don't want to be footing the bills for Derby anymore and is desperate to sell the club. So even 3 million for a player maybe worth 5m you would think would have been out the door to get Mel 3m back in his pocket. 

I think its maybe like us with Windass. Teams are smelling blood and making ridiculously low offers.

i will be surprised if we don’t lose Jason knight or Lee Buchanan before the end of the transfer window. you’re right that clubs will probably try to get a Rowett-style bargain. Championship clubs have got no dosh so it will probably be to a Premier League club. 
you are also right that MM has cut off the money supply. Someone quoted him a year ago as saying he would spend what he had to to stop the club going into administration “and not a penny more”.

47 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

if by that you mean that they were deliberately cheating and concealing the fact, then no, I don’t think they were.

if you mean they thought they were being clever and finding a loophole then yes.

the only glimmer of hope is that derby submitted to the disciplinary committee details of what the accounts would show if they had used “straight line amortisation”. I wouldn’t have thought that they would do that if the results showed that we had failed. Who knows mate. My prediction was that we would fail ffp so we’ll just have to wait another 5 or 6 weeks to find out.

I’m just a fan same as you lot are. We suffer because of what our owners do or fail to do. It makes no difference whether we like it or not. 

Your last paragraph is spot on..so true

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raminpeace said:

i will be surprised if we don’t lose Jason knight or Lee Buchanan before the end of the transfer window. you’re right that clubs will probably try to get a Rowett-style bargain. Championship clubs have got no dosh so it will probably be to a Premier League club. 
you are also right that MM has cut off the money supply. Someone quoted him a year ago as saying he would spend what he had to to stop the club going into administration “and not a penny more”.

Exactly and any offer whatsoever to put money back in his pocket he will take. More than likely the first offer.   You will probably end up losing about 15m worth of talent for about 4m.

9 hours ago, malek said:

Yes, we were linked with Dani who played for Mallorca and signed with Barcelona after getting linked with us.

We got linked with Michael Mols, Henrik Larsson and Paraguay or Chile striker who's name I can't remember.

I have another random blast from the past - Moises Garcia Leon in 1997. Reports were we actually signed him from Leganes, I remember seeing it on teletext before school too (Sure fee was £2m but found a report saying we paid £100k). Appears it never actually happened.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, sMacLean said:

I have another random blast from the past - Moises Garcia Leon in 1997. Reports were we actually signed him from Leganes, I remember seeing it on teletext before school too (Sure fee was £2m but found a report saying we paid £100k). Appears it never actually happened.

I believe I remember this one. was that striker supposed to be top scorer in 2'nd tire of Spanish football ? If that's him it looks like we signed him just to promptly send him back, but as I remember quoted fee was either 500k or 750k.

Btw. Unsure, but it is possible that South American striker we got linked with was Aristides Rojas, he fits the bill but I can't be sure.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dom confirms we can’t pay fees for players and can only sign free transfers and loans. 

In which case, we should only sell players if:

A. We need the funds for cash flow or FFP. 
B. We can reinvest that transfer money/wages

Otherwise what’s the point? It’d just weaken our squad without the ability to strengthen!

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dom confirms we can’t pay fees for players and can only sign free transfers and loans. 

How does he come to that conclusion ?

The list the EFL released for teams under an embargo didn't include us did it ?

21 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

No, I mean that Derby, like others, including Wednesday, rolled the dice and opted to gamble on a promotion charge, which outright wasn't sustainable.  However, it was done with a view to sticking two fingers up at FFP and paying what would effectively be a small fine whilst in the promised land of the Premier League.  It clearly didn't work for either of us and this forced both clubs to go down the route of creative/clever accounting, or looking for loopholes to cover losses.

You've rightly mentioned we all suffer as fans but it still stands that if neither club had tried to cheat the system in the first place, we wouldn't be in the current financial mess we both find ourselves in - I'm afraid that this simply doesn't happen by accident.  

• Like 1