BREAKING NEWS - Sheffield Wednesday Embargo LIFTED

2 hours ago, striker said:

Good summary. If Chansiri is as wealthy as he says he is, a modest financial donation (compared to what he's wasted to date) gives us a good chance of promotion and with some forward planning, a squad which could develop through the Championship, while not bound by championship FFP regulations meaning not trying to buy lots of players on promotion, falling foul of FFP again. 

Now is a good time to reign in wages, but also invest in and develop some good young talent, given L1 regulations are maybe more flexible.

Yep without wanting to be too similar to our six fingered neighbours, it would be great if we could try and sign up players aged under 24, on league 1 wages. For example I’d happily let Dunkley go to Ipswich if it means signing McCart from St Johnstone as we’d be bringing in a younger player with potential.  

Let’s just hope our owner and recruitment team feel the same.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yep without wanting to be too similar to our six fingered neighbours, it would be great if we could try and sign up players aged under 24, on league 1 wages. For example I’d happily let Dunkley go to Ipswich if it means signing McCart from St Johnstone as we’d be bringing in a younger player with potential.  

Let’s just hope our owner and recruitment team feel the same.  

Agree. That deal you mentioned, essentially swapping Dunkley for McCart, would be good business. 

The economics of a sustainable club are selling at the right time and investing in the next up and coming player. Can't do it all at once, it's a process over several windows and needs long term planning. Not Chansiri's strength planning, so hope Moore, Dooley and the recruitment team can be the ones to finally educate him. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheff74 said:

Can anyone clarify what the playing staff paybill restrictions are now for League 1 and what we are likely to have to play with?  Wasn't it set at the higher of £2.5 million, or 60% of the clubs turnover?

If the latter applies to us, then presumably we are looking at around £11m, from a turnover of around £20m?  But surely we have to fund other outgoing from that, such as rent for the ground etc, and we still have one or 2 relatively high earners on the books for this level.

Are we going to need to sell before we can bring in any quality?

Help an old chap out here please....!

Well for starter our turnover won't be anywhere near 20 million this year, not with loss of TV money, reduced gates etc. I would suggest somewhere between 12 to 15 million max, but even on those figures should give us a wage budget of 7.2 to 9  million which means we should be able to compete with anyone else.

Question is (as always with any team) will we get the right signings to do the job?

Also, given the shenanigans over wages last season even if we approach the right players, would they even want to come?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

So, so less famous that you don't even know their name? lol

Yes 😅 In my defence it is hard to remember every player we got linked with in last 25 years 😂

12 minutes ago, malek said:

Yes 😅 In my defence it is hard to remember every player we got linked with in last 25 years 😂

Plus it was an irresistible punt at an open goal! lol

2 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Derby and Reading both in violation of FFP? Plus Derby seemed to have a lot more in addition.

Seeing as we got a 12 point deduction it will be interesting what punishment others get, particularly Derby who seem to have broken most rules including feeding a gremlin after midnight. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Derby and Reading both in violation of FFP? Plus Derby seemed to have a lot more in addition.

Unlike us Derby got plenty of young talent to sell and to bring them out of financial trouble. 

1 minute ago, malek said:

Unlike us Derby got plenty of young talent to sell and to bring them out of financial trouble. 

I think if they could get decent money for some of there young talent. Mel would have flogged them by now. So that can pay the clubs bills instead of him.

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Reading about to sell a player for 8 million. Will help them a lot. 

It will and same with Derby if they manage to sell any players. But it don't stop the points deductions does it and helps them now.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

It will and same with Derby if they manage to sell any players. But it don't stop the points deductions does it and helps them now.

Yeah I don’t think you can “cheat” or “gain an advantage” over a 3 year period and then when caught out say, okay we’ll sell some players now so we don’t get punished.  The player sales will go into the future years FFP consideration I’d have thought 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yeah I don’t think you can “cheat” or “gain an advantage” over a 3 year period and then when caught out say, okay we’ll sell some players now so we don’t get punished.  The player sales will go into the future years FFP consideration I’d have thought 

Exactly. It just goes some way to satisfying the EFL and helping them get out of the embargo. But a points deduction will be heading there way.