Today's line up

1 hour ago, malek said:

If we wanted to see how one of Galvin, Waldock or Hagan would fit into our team than it would be logical to play them in team with other first team players. 

We didn't tried any of them, but just threw reserves on the pitch to give them run out and know nothing that we didn't know before this game. 

Again I'm putting in an example as everything written here seems to be taken for granted. If we continue like this in Pre season, if Luongo get injured we wont know who can step up to replace him. If Windass get sold we wont know if Hagan can do the job, etc...

Mate it's the first game of the pre season against a team who played 3rd string players. We'd have learnt little either way. Friendly games are fitness tests only, especially this early.

The later matches such as the one against Barnsley and Wrexham for eg then I agree, thats where you test your youngster's with the first team in a game where the other side will do the same. It's way too early in pre season to think of anything but fitness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

So a first friendly back isnt about fitness and assesing players?

What should it be about?

How are we assesing them? What did we found out we didn't know before?! 

I can’t be the only one who wants to see if Galvin can be genuine option at left back. How can we do that if he got meshed together with 10 other U-23's... 

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Mate it's the first game of the pre season against a team who played 3rd string players. We'd have learnt little either way. Friendly games are fitness tests only, especially this early.

The later matches such as the one against Barnsley and Wrexham for eg then I agree, thats where you test your youngster's with the first team in a game where the other side will do the same. It's way too early in pre season to think of anything but fitness.

That is a notion I can stand behind. Glad that you read my post well and tried to get my point. 

8 hours ago, debram said:

I would have thought so too but one that cant match/beat a second tier/youngster Celtic side, scary.

Maybe, but it wasn’t really a proper match, with the strange time periods and a lot of substitutions.  Plus it was the very first game of pre-season, I expect Moore asked them to be careful and not pull anything.  Saturday against Chester might be more meaningful.  

I’ll always remember as a league 1 team we once beat Newcastle in pre-season who were champions league chasing, and I thought “wow we must have a great team, we just beat Newcastle!” We then finished in one of our lowest league placings in our history. i learnt that pre-season results and performances can mean diddly squat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Maybe, but it wasn’t really a proper match, with the strange time periods and a lot of substitutions.  Plus it was the very first game of pre-season, I expect Moore asked them to be careful and not pull anything.  Saturday against Chester might be more meaningful.  

I’ll always remember as a league 1 team we once beat Newcastle in pre-season who were champions league chasing, and I thought “wow we must have a great team, we just beat Newcastle!” We then finished in one of our lowest league placings in our history. i learnt that pre-season results and performances can mean diddly squat. 

You certainly have a point there. 

On 08/07/2021 at 09:09, debram said:

I would have thought so too but one that cant match/beat a second tier/youngster Celtic side, scary.

Dont know if its true but someone told me that little winger is a first team player now and another Jimmy Johnstone ?  and the 1 who scored the 3rd goal was their record signing  ?eduardo.

On 07/07/2021 at 14:27, malek said:

When we got left without half a team and unable to sign anyone we got fed poo that next season youth will get chance, we will look to develop talent at the club, etc...

But as soon as we could put together experienced 11 none of youngsters can start even in a friendly game.

Why starting likes of Borner who are desperate to leave (not that he is the only one).

No wander that we are in such a deep poo with our backward way of thinking.

It is strange. Additionally, Dele Bashiru ought not to be continuing as  a sub on the  bench.