Darren Moore on losing Shaw and Urghoghide

“We wish them well going forward… They’re two great boys and two good, young players. There’s work to be done with their development. But in terms of potential. I think they’re both wonderful.

“Celtic have made two wonderful signings and there’s much more to come from both of them. They’ve got a lot to offer to Celtic.

“We were anxious to keep them both. But once you get that side of the year, after January, it’s very difficult for you to strike deals.

Players of their magnitude, you don’t let them get to that side of their contract. Had I been at the club a lot earlier then that wouldn’t have happened.

“I tried to keep Osaze in the building. But the boy had already made up his mind by the time I came in. I got it and I understood it, as disappointing as it was. I tried as hard as I could.

“But it was especially difficult for me because no sooner had I come in then I picked up COVID. That forced me away from things for a period and I didn’t really get the chance to get hold of Osaze.

“They are both good lads and we wish them well in their new adventures at Celtic. Hopefully, they’ll both be good additions for the football club.”

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Players of their magnitude, you don’t let them get to that side of their contract. Had I been at the club a lot earlier then that wouldn’t have happened.

Do we read from this that DM has some control over players contracts and future signings? Hope so. Cant blame the lads for leaving, its been a horrendous time for all involved with SWFC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briggowl said:

Do we read from this that DM has some control over players contracts and future signings? Hope so. Cant blame the lads for leaving, its been a horrendous time for all involved with SWFC

I hope so

It would be one of the biggest changes we could make

Let a manager sign / retain / sell players for a bit and see how we get on instead of the advisors and chairman doing it etc

Give it a go

I reckon it could work in so many different ways

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

from Osaze

"He admits Wednesday skipper Barry Bannan helped to sell him on a switch to Parkhead this summer."

Cheers Bazza? really tells you something then your skipper is telling your youngsters to jump ship 🙂

don't blame him though 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, briggowl said:

No. We read into that that DC was a moron for letting it get that far. But we all know that

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Won't that simply be because he knew he was leaving?

Maybe but how badly did we need him to battle for the cause in our appalling midfield? On the bench numerous times and rarely brought on. Meanwhile BB punted the ball upfield, Reach danced away from the action, Andre Green fluttered around, Pelupessy was too slow to get into the game and others like Windass and Paterson had no idea how to play in midfield. 

31 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

from Osaze

"He admits Wednesday skipper Barry Bannan helped to sell him on a switch to Parkhead this summer."

Cheers Bazza? really tells you something then your skipper is telling your youngsters to jump ship 🙂

don't blame him though 

BB is a very strange type of club and team captain. 

1 minute ago, victorturner said:

Maybe but how badly did we need him to battle for the cause in our appalling midfield? On the bench numerous times and rarely brought on. Meanwhile BB punted the ball upfield, Reach danced away from the action, Andre Green fluttered around, Pelupessy was too slow to get into the game and others like Windass and Paterson had no idea how to play in midfield. 

I was only speculating - could be all kinds of reasons Shaw didn't get much of a look in (maybe even his over eager temperament too?)

Owlstalk Shop

Interesting that he said it would have been different if he'd been at the club earlier. This seems to suggest previous managers/staff weren't diligent/didn't value the two enough/weren't focussed enough on younger players and contracts. Suggests maybe that he's forged a better relationship with DC than his predecessors and has a wider remit.

• Like 2

It's probably not helped with the revolving door with the amount of managers we have had. Hopefully Darren will be here to set up a decent foundation and make sure we tie down players with potential early so we don't lose them for next to nothing. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

and I didn’t really get the chance to get hold of Osaze.

“They are both good lads and we wish them well in their new adventures at Celtic. Hopefully, they’ll both be good additions for the football club.”

Mobile phones, great invention.

And

image.png.904599338f92cb0ab426270157d94f9b.png.be09e4061356fa0fa4fc16fe5332a0cb.png

• Like 1