Contract Lengths

So now it finally looks as though we have paid our players, the out of contract players have left and we can actually start preparing for next year.

BUT, as we need to learn our lessons from the past we can now start preparing beyond that. So my question is does anyone have a definitive list of who is out of contract next season? I know @YesWeCrann has reported Windass is out but we have a 1 year option which effectively gives us 2 years and puts us in a stronger position to negotiate either selling or offering a new deal. But what about the rest? Who’s out next year and who should we be trying to tie down now to avoid the mistakes of the past ??

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So from the list above we need to get Iorfa tied down !! 

why would Iorfa or any of those players want to sign an extension given what they've seen and been through in the past 2 years 

I love questions like this. It let's me put my stock answer. 

They are generally several sheets of A4 paper. 

In recent cases it's been 1 sheet. 

"You agree to play for Sheffield Wednesday when I deem you have earned your place. It doesn't mean that I will pay you. 

Signed............ Player

Signed...... D Chansiri

Dated....... 5/6/2019.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So now it finally looks as though we have paid our players, the out of contract players have left and we can actually start preparing for next year.

BUT, as we need to learn our lessons from the past we can now start preparing beyond that. So my question is does anyone have a definitive list of who is out of contract next season? I know @YesWeCrann has reported Windass is out but we have a 1 year option which effectively gives us 2 years and puts us in a stronger position to negotiate either selling or offering a new deal. But what about the rest? Who’s out next year and who should we be trying to tie down now to avoid the mistakes of the past ??

We have 2 or 3 players left in contract at all age levels. As most of the youth players under 18 and above only 1 year deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grassy knoll said:

How is Patterson only 1 year older than Dawson and wildsmith ?….

He had a very tough paper round in Scotland the wind and rain aged him. The stress sent him prematurely grey.😁😁😁

• Haha 2

Factors at play                                  Urogihide                                                 Shaw

Health and fitness.                          early injuries                                         lack of appearances  

Skill & Form.                                     good performance level                     average performance level    

Commitment.                                   little                                                          little  

Player expectations.                        too high                                                  too high

Club expectations.                           slow to act                                              little pitch time

Outcome                                             Big Loss                                                  May shine in inferior league

General comments                           The £350K would have been closer to £800K had they both gone to Leeds.  

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, room0035 said:

We have 2 or 3 players left in contract at all age levels. As most of the youth players under 18 and above only 1 year deals.

This was the point i was making in the original post and why we should be getting a plan in place for the longer term.

We cant keep restarting the team year on year if were expecting to get anywhere.

16 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This was the point i was making in the original post and why we should be getting a plan in place for the longer term.

We cant keep restarting the team year on year if were expecting to get anywhere.

If the coaches cannot see which youth players are going to progress and which aren't then we should be having a clear out and get some competent coaches in because, the likes of haslam and his team are just as at fault for not getting young talent on longer deals.

Urhoghide and Shaw in contracts this season would have meant a few million in fees not £350k.

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I imagine that there are frantic discussions at the highest levels of Wednesday leadership as to whether we should offer one year contracts to those expiring, or just the standard twelve months.  Time will tell.  

Scarily this is probably correct !

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Factors at play                                  Urogihide                                                 Shaw

Health and fitness.                          early injuries                                         lack of appearances  

Skill & Form.                                     good performance level                     average performance level    

Commitment.                                   little                                                          little  

Player expectations.                        too high                                                  too high

Club expectations.                           slow to act                                              little pitch time

Outcome                                             Big Loss                                                  May shine in inferior league

General comments                           The £350K would have been closer to £800K had they both gone to Leeds.  

And we would of got a 25% sell on 

On 05/07/2021 at 12:21, Dutch McLovin said:

Been reporting about Windass' option for quite a while mate... It's why the club are able to issue a 'hands off' on him like you said.

• Like 1