SWFC to get a grand total of £150,000 for Urhoghide

Just now, Joe Jockstrap said:

Disgusting. No wonder clubs below the Premier League are on their knees. Big clubs take players for a pittance, albeit under certain circumstances.

It seems the only way to make money off a transfer is to sell while under contract, which is not always possible.

So for our 3 young prospects, Hirst, Shaw and Urhoghide we’ve got about £500k, football really is broken. 

The key to it in OUR position is to make sure you get your prospects under contract so that they don't just clear off

That's why the one year contracts are so foolish at SWFC

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

Disgusting. No wonder clubs below the Premier League are on their knees. Big clubs take players for a pittance, albeit under certain circumstances.

It seems the only way to make money off a transfer is to sell while under contract, which is not always possible.

So for our 3 young prospects, Hirst, Shaw and Urhoghide we’ve got about £500k, football really is broken. 

None were under contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

Only one person to blame, not the system in this case

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The key to it in OUR position is to make sure you get your prospects under contract so that they don't just clear off

That's why the one year contracts are so foolish at SWFC

I agree 100%, I would hope we learn from our previous mistakes, I don’t however hold out any hope. 

Can’t really blame Celtic and Leicester,  just seems so unfair and biased towards the big boys.

Give it a few years and the clubs with cash will get what they want, a small number of the elite with the rest going under.

So very sad. 

55 minutes ago, the third man said:

Buts it not DC's fault, its Urhoghides fault for not signing the longer contract that wasn't offered him before he got into the last year of his contract

"True! It's also not my fault for the points deduction, it's the EFL's fault for choosing to deduct the points!" 

:Chansiri:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Manwë said:

None were under contract.

I appreciate that and I understand the rules it just seems to benefit the big clubs.

This must happen to many clubs and will in my opinion pop another nail in the coffin of the lower leagues. 

We got him in on a free transfer if I’m not mistaken, in which case we’ve actually made a profit on a player sale  -under DC  that fact in itself is one for the record books.

Its a pretty poor show though - OU was not the finished article, but shows promise and his value will only increase IMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the third man said:

Buts it not DC's fault, its Urhoghides fault for not signing the longer contract that wasn't offered him before he got into the last year of his contract

Wasn’t the new contract barely £1k a week? 

44 minutes ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

Yeah, it's the 'system's fault that we consistently fail to tie down our young playing assets on contracts longer than a year at a time.

Certainly, teams outside the Premiership struggle to hold onto their decent young prospects.  But the point is to see them as an investment and make sure you get a decent return, which other clubs manage to do fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

There’s no reasons to think any of those players couldn’t command 8million a piece in the next few years if they get their break through and perform like their abilities say they can 

superb stuff from Sheffield wednesday yet again 

Christ on a bike, 3 years at 3 different clubs at which Hirst as made absolutely no impact whatsoever and folk still think he could fetch £8m

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Christ on a bike, 3 years at 3 different clubs at which Hirst as made absolutely no impact whatsoever and folk still think he could fetch £8m

I was on about Liam shaw who’s gone to Celtic with Uroghide you plant pot 

Hirst I don’t think could get a free transfer to league 2 at present the lad looks completely out of his depth in the Mr leagues 

With Hirst, he would have undoubtably been a better play if he hadn't had half a year not training or playing then another year in the Belgian pub league. Who's fault is that? Partly his and partly ours I guess. We'll never know how good he could have been, which will hurt him more in the long run.

• Like 1