Vinyl player set-up

Evening all.

Looking on some advice on Vinyl player set-ups.

About a year ago, after we lost my father-in-law, we were going through his old stuff and discovered some of my wife's old LPs and 45s.

She wanted to listen to them so we bought one of those all in one turntable and speaker units. To be honest, its served us really well. It is surprising powerful for the tiny speakers and sounds pretty good. But I know a better set-up would sound even better.

We found that we really enjoyed the vinyl experience. There's something to be said for listening to the full album as originally intended, rather than just streaming the big hits. And even with a basic set-up, you can tell what people mean about the softer, more natural sound that Vinyl produces. As a result we've gone out and bought a couple of dozen other albums and are starting to build a collection.

So now we are looking to upgrade our set-up. But we aren't ready to push the boat out for a top of the range set-up just yet. I'm hoping we can find something half decent for a couple of hundred quid or there abouts.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of shopping in this range? I've been looking at some turntable and active speaker combos and some have great reviews. But I don't know if I'd be better with a turntable, amp and speaker set-up instead. I'd rather keep it fairly compact as it will be sitting on a bookshelf, so the two piece arrangement is appealing but I don't want to sell us short if an amplifier would improve the experience.

Any advice, including specific recommendations, would be much appreciated.

Pro-Ject Primary E turntable 150 - 200 quid.

Klipsch R-41PM active speakers with a phono input 350 quid or so.

That's a very nice and compact system, it will sound really good.

A separate amp and passive speakers will give you more flexibility. Something like a Yamaha AS201 doesn't cost much. and is more than decent. Order on Amazon and you can return stuff if it doesn't live up to expectations 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pauli said:

A separate amp and passive speakers will give you more flexibility. Something like a Yamaha AS201 doesn't cost much. and is more than decent. Order on Amazon and you can return stuff if it doesn't live up to expectations 

He's ya man for stuff like this - get this gear ☝️

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, pauli said:

That's really helpful advice, thank you.

But £550 is too rich for my blood at this point.

And recommendations. that would fit in the £200 to £300 range?

And if I had to spend a little more, should I lean to paying more for a turntable or speakers?

Definitely a decent turntable - that's your source and it's interacting directly with your precious records. The Pro-Ject model above is absolutely fantastic for it's price class and ready to go right out of the box.

Maybe one of those micro systems might be a solution? You generally get a combined amp, radio and CD and two small separate speakers. You will need a phono pre-amp because it will likely only have line in which requires a far higher voltage than what the turntable can deliver.  I've seen pre-amps for around 35 quid. They can go into the thousands. Mine was just under 200 and also lets me rip vinyl to digital.

Don't get something with plastic speaker boxes, needs to be wood.

Another option could be used off ebay or similar. I've noticed people who are into vinyl tend to look after their systems well and upgrade a lot so there's always decent gear to be had.

If you are going to start hanging around record shops, get to know people who run it and their customers. We are a strange but friendly bunch. It's how I got my Ayon valve amp, the seller even gave me a spare set of brand new matched tubes. 

11 minutes ago, pauli said:

Definitely a decent turntable - that's your source and it's interacting directly with your precious records. The Pro-Ject model above is absolutely fantastic for it's price class and ready to go right out of the box.

Maybe one of those micro systems might be a solution? You generally get a combined amp, radio and CD and two small separate speakers. You will need a phono pre-amp because it will likely only have line in which requires a far higher voltage than what the turntable can deliver.  I've seen pre-amps for around 35 quid. They can go into the thousands. Mine was just under 200 and also lets me rip vinyl to digital.

Don't get something with plastic speaker boxes, needs to be wood.

Another option could be used off ebay or similar. I've noticed people who are into vinyl tend to look after their systems well and upgrade a lot so there's always decent gear to be had.

If you are going to start hanging around record shops, get to know people who run it and their customers. We are a strange but friendly bunch. It's how I got my Ayon valve amp, the seller even gave me a spare set of brand new matched tubes. 

Thanks again for the advice Pauli.

I'll be waiting until the end of my spending month to see how much spare income I have just before payday before I completely set my budget. I may well come back to you then if you don't mind to check my ideas within my budget.

Sure thing LLP.

First and foremost I love music. I love talking about hifi too. Not the insane hifi where you buy a loudspeaker cable  (just the one) for 32,000 pounds. That actually exists. It is a thing.

There's no audible difference for a human between a shielded copper 4mm2 cable that costs 5 pounds per metre and a twisted silver plated multi strand. We can't hear it. Dogs might but they don't speak rock and roll. Dogs probably listen to Johann Sebastian Bach or would if they understood how to operate a record player.

Just have fun with it.

• Like 2

Agree with Pauli. I had a Project turntable and loved it. 

Given your budget, have you thought about getting a Bluetooth record player and a cheap BT speaker? When you fancy an upgrade you get could get an amp and traditional speakers or go down the active speaker route Pauli recommended. 

Sony do a BT player... 

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/sony-pslx310bt.html

12 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

Given your budget, have you thought about getting a Bluetooth record player and a cheap BT speaker? When you fancy an upgrade you get could get an amp and traditional speakers or go down the active speaker route Pauli recommended. 

Sony do a BT player... 

Thanks for the advice. That might actually work quite well with us. It will take us some time and money to build up a full vinyl collection so there will always be albums we fancy listening to that we don't own on vinly.

So a decent Bluetooth speaker would give us more flexibility.

14 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

Sony do a BT player... 

I’ve got one of these and I like it. I’ve got it connected into my Blu-ray surround system but the Bluetooth connection sounded ok. 

Pauli talks a lot of sense (on this subject) 

If your budget is 2-300 put Pauli suggests something very decent for an extra £250 ish. Id be buying it now.

In the grand scheme of things its doable.

If he had suggested something 2k plus then your in a completley different league.

Buy it mate.

On 07/07/2021 at 18:36, Greengrass said:

Pauli talks a lot of sense (on this subject) 

Does anyone want to buy an Official Matchday thread?

For 75 quid, you can buy an all in one gimmick turntable that looks like a suitcase. It will plow the grooves of your record collection with 5 or 6 grams of downward pressure. It doesn't sound like much but it will eventually destroy your records. Apart from that, the arm is made of horrible wobbly plastic.

Mine tracks at 1.78 grams.

Another option would be the rega turntables, maybe the planar 1?

Also, I would suggest keeping it simple - simple amplifier with in built phono stage (or buy the rega planar +), simple pair of speakers.

My recommendation would be either rotel, nad or Cambridge audio amplifier wise.

Speakers at this level, ant go wrong with mission, tannoy or Q acoustics