Tokyo Olympics - official thread

Neal M

3 minutes ago, darra said:

Listening on the radio the other day and it seems to be a bone of contention that the elite sports are carried out by the elite. Sports like sailing, rowing and equestrian sports aren't readily available to Joe public. The question posed was are they funded not because of what they are but more for who does them?

No I don’t think it’s that, I think it’s more they realise that we are likely to do well at these sit down sports because the level of competition isn’t as high, they’re basically easier to medal in for us with a bit extra funding

21 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No I don’t think it’s that, I think it’s more they realise that we are likely to do well at these sit down sports because the level of competition isn’t as high, they’re basically easier to medal in for us with a bit extra funding

You mean like the track and field, which is more competitive?

If so I kinda agree with you, which makes it more remarkable that Italy came second. 

1 hour ago, M Royds said:

You mean like the track and field, which is more competitive?

If so I kinda agree with you, which makes it more remarkable that Italy came second. 

Yeh cos they use much less equipment and so are more accessible. Basically in the rowing for example we are in competition with other 1st world countries, compared to say marathon which is accessible to everyone 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 14:16, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh cos they use much less equipment and so are more accessible. Basically in the rowing for example we are in competition with other 1st world countries, compared to say marathon which is accessible to everyone 

Alternative medals table. 

image.png.3093ab7598e43863462194d9816fb55f.png

image.png.2c0901da4824953641e88a7c9309a4cd.png