Tokyo Olympics - official thread

Neal M

1 hour ago, cazzaswfc said:

They get almost nothing until they get a medal though, sponsorships and everything else then comes after the success.

In the past many swimmers would have to get a job after leaving school or university or reply on parents.  Lottery funding means athletes can concentrate on their chosen sport hence our increased success in many disciplines in addition to swimming.

Whilst we.know some sports are elitist, Equestrian and sailing for example, many are full of working class normal people with talent.

That’s not true, I remember a modern pentathlon athlete or no note that was given a free leased BMW (which I insured when working for direct line)

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That’s not true, I remember a modern pentathlon athlete or no note that was given a free leased BMW (which I insured when working for direct line)

really can depend on the sport.  Lottery funding has made a massive difference. Lots get very little reward unless they get a bit of success, some are lucky arranging personal sponsorships.

going back to the 80s and 90s before lottery funding Swimmers (I used to be a club swimmer and trained with a few Olympians) got next to nothing in grants , all  relied on local companies for funding and sponsorship and families. A lot had to get part time or full time jobs, if you were outside the British squad then financially it was even harder to balance work, training and progression. Not to mention keeping your job when you needed time off to compete.

I doubt there are many non medallist Olympians in non elitist events that are getting rich!  More money in all sports nowadays for competitions but again for a lot that helps fund their ability to concentrate on sport

Diving. Why do men and women compete separately?

Gymnastics. I suppose strength comes into it. But isn't it strength to body weight that matters. I suppose men may have an advantage.

Anyroad, why don't they compete on the same apparatus?

12 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Just being reading about RTE's coverage about Ireland winning a gold the other day ,think it was the first time a man had won .

There was no mention of Michelle De Bruin.

Widely believed to be one of the worse Olympic cheats ever.

Bloody hell that’s a blast from the past 

On 29/07/2021 at 10:11, Ellis Rimmer said:

Sick of hearing ” so and so wins bronze/silver” it’s all about gold imo

I would love to be the third best in my club.

I can only dream of being third best in the county let alone country.

Third best in the world at your chosen sport is an immense achievement.

I don't know if you play much sport but it must be a really miserable experience. 

Unless you are World Champion or summat.

• Like 4

On 29/07/2021 at 10:11, Ellis Rimmer said:

Sick of hearing ” so and so wins bronze/silver” it’s all about gold imo

This is so left field, Ellis Rimmer having a negative view on something positive? 

Not like you at all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I would love to be the third best in my club.

I can only dream of being third best in the county let alone country.

Third best in the world at your chosen sport is an immense achievement.

I don't know if you play much sport but it must be a really miserable experience. 

Unless you are World Champion or summat.

It’s a great achievement but it’s not winning is it? Yeh I do sports used to be ranked 9th in marathon running uk under 23 age group where’s my medal? lol 

11 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

This is so left field, Ellis Rimmer having a negative view on something positive? 

Not like you at all...

Well I was listening to talk sport the other day and they said GB have won … bronze, it got my hopes up then deflated me. All about the golds.

• Like 1

It's not all about gold - it's about the blood, sweat, tears and pain that gets somebody to rise above the ordinary into being extraordinary

Being the absolute best you can be

Failure is not coming 2nd, 3rd or even last - its when not giving every last ounce of effort 

Roosevelt understood this with his seminal The Man in the Arena

• Like 4

BTW - just watched GB vs Aus in the football

What the absolute f*ck was that defending for the 2nd Aussie goal?

It's as bad collectively as i can remember seeing in top level football

It can't even be called amateurish it was that awful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

BTW - just watched GB vs Aus in the football

What the absolute f*ck was that defending for the 2nd Aussie goal?

It's as bad collectively as i can remember seeing in top level football

It can't even be called amateurish it was that awful

Yeah they were atrocious at the back most of the game but that was beyond awful. 

Four of them in a row watching as the best opposition player takes her time to put it wherever she wants.