ENGLAND VS GERMANY - Official Matchday Thread

Hopefully England see off a decent but not great Germany. The history should have no bearing on the game and result.

Our defensive set up should at least make us difficult to score against, which at least is a start. 

Those two games yesterday were unbelievable. I’m not expecting anything like that today. 

I hope Germany don’t score first as I don’t think we’d have the game plan to cope with that.

I am however going for a 2-1 win to us in extra time. Come on England.

• Haha 1

I find it very difficult to get interested in international football, especially when it's all that's on TV and radio all day, people talking bolocks building up to the game.

It would be typical England to lose to the Germans, just as the draw seems to be opening up a favourable route to the final.

TBH been bored by previous England games, for all the supposed attacking talent Gary Lineker keeps jizzing over on MOTD, only scored 2 goals. 

Hope England win, but more bothered about Wednesday than the national team. Generally have the Euros on in the background while messing about on my phone, same tonight I think. As there will be nowt else on to watch.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, striker said:

I find it very difficult to get interested in international football, especially when it's all that's on TV and radio all day, people talking bolocks building up to the game.

It would be typical England to lose to the Germans, just as the draw seems to be opening up a favourable route to the final.

TBH been bored by previous England games, for all the supposed attacking talent Gary Lineker keeps jizzing over on MOTD, only scored 2 goals. 

Hope England win, but more bothered about Wednesday than the national team. Generally have the Euros on in the background while messing about on my phone, same tonight I think. As there will be nowt else on to watch.

You're not feeling it.. are you?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Never do mate,I don't mind tournaments when it gets to the stage when there's a consequence and teams have to try and win, but international football generally bores me to tears. 

Last night was good though, I like football because of goals, not endlessly passing it sideways and backwards.

11 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I used to - definitely when Wednesday had players in and around the squad (so about 1991-98) - but even after that, i could tell you a bit about every player in the squad until the mid-2010s or so. 

Now? I'm not sure I could pick, say, Mason Mount and Jadon Sancho out of a line-up. For whatever reason, I've just lost touch with the England team. I still want them to win but I won't be that bothered if they don't...

• Like 2

Yesterday’s football was unbelievable. Two 3-3 games after normal time with the underdogs coming back from 3-1 down in both games. Unbelievable stuff! 
Tonight. Boring as hell. 1-0. England scrape through from a deflected shot after an unconvincing performance against a Germany team who just didn’t turn up. 
Or Germany rip us a new one. 
Can’t decide. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, benni8 said:

Won 1 knockout game apparently in euro history that wasn't pens.

Shocking stat that.

Mentality issue.

2016: Lost first knockout game to Iceland

2012: Drew first knockout game with Italy then lost on pens

2008: Didn’t qualify

2004: Drew first knockout game with Portugal then lost on pens

2000: Didn’t get out the group

1996: Drew first knockout game with Spain then won on pens

Drew second knockout game with Germany then lost on pens

1992: Didn’t get out the group

1988: Didn’t get out the group

1984: Didn’t qualify

1980: Didn’t get out the group

Before that it wasn’t really a proper tournament as only 4 teams were in it and England were only in the 1968 one, where we lost the first knockout game in the semis.

So the record is Won 0, Drew 4, Lost 2... with the 4 penalty shootouts W 1, L 3

Seems like we’ve had more difficulty getting to knockout stage at all historically as the Iceland loss was the first one in 48 years

1 hour ago, benni8 said:

Won 1 knockout game apparently in euro history that wasn't pens.

Shocking stat that.

Mentality issue.

Your going to have to remind me which game that is. The only knockout games I can think of are Iceland (2016), Italy (2012), Portugal (2004), Spain and Germany (both 96) with Spain being the only one where we won which was on pens. All other times we didn't get out the group and 2008 we didn't qualify. Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

2016: Lost first knockout game to Iceland

2012: Drew first knockout game with Italy then lost on pens

2008: Didn’t qualify

2004: Drew first knockout game with Portugal then lost on pens

2000: Didn’t get out the group

1996: Drew first knockout game with Spain then won on pens

Drew second knockout game with Germany then lost on pens

1992: Didn’t get out the group

1988: Didn’t get out the group

1984: Didn’t qualify

1980: Didn’t get out the group

Before that it wasn’t really a proper tournament as only 4 teams were in it and England were only in the 1968 one, where we lost the first knockout game in the semis.

So the record is Won 0, Drew 4, Lost 2... with the 4 penalty shootouts W 1, L 3

Seems like we’ve had more difficulty getting to knockout stage at all historically as the Iceland loss was the first one in 48 years

Looks like you've already done it. I thought we hadn't won a knockout game that wasn't pens

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Looks like you've already done it. I thought we hadn't won a knockout game that wasn't pens

Yeah.. we haven’t lost many either. Usually we don’t get that far or if we do, it’s a draw and then lose on pens.

Obviously it’s got easier to qualify over time as they keep increasing the number of teams in the tournament 

39 minutes ago, striker said:

Its not that big a game in Germany or at least it didn't used to be. Its a bit like like when the media try and build up certaain Premiership derbies that one teams fans arent that bothered about. 

England should win. Germany have not recovered from winning the World Cup when a lot of the team retired from international football and Lowe has lost the plot a bit. They are not the side they used to be not even close.