Unpopular football opinions you have?

Guest OwlPastie

Guest OwlPastie

What's something you believe but most would disagree with in football? 

Personally I think in today's game Pele would be mind-bottom end Premier League standard. That's if you took him exactly as he was in his prime. He was an athlete with skill in a time where most weren't athletes. Put him up at against the likes of Van Dyke and he would struggle. You see his goals and many were hit with such power that with a modern day light ball would go into row Z. 

Swap it round and put JJ in that era and he'd be a superstar. 

You'll all probably disagree, but that's the whole point of the topic! 

34 minutes ago, OwlPastie said:

What's something you believe but most would disagree with in football? 

Personally I think in today's game Pele would be mind-bottom end Premier League standard. That's if you took him exactly as he was in his prime. He was an athlete with skill in a time where most weren't athletes. Put him up at against the likes of Van Dyke and he would struggle. You see his goals and many were hit with such power that with a modern day light ball would go into row Z. 

Swap it round and put JJ in that era and he'd be a superstar. 

You'll all probably disagree, but that's the whole point of the topic! 

He would adapt to the time surely, like he wouldn't hit those balls quite as hard seeing as they're lighter

Mine is that England aren't as unsuccessful as people make out, based on population size winning a World Cup in about par, most countries that have won more have much bigger populations, like Brazil is about 5 times bigger than England and they have won 4-5 world cups. in addition football is one of a number of elite sports you can compete in here, many other countries don't have as many popular sports, such as Germany not having an equivalent of cricket, rugby (2 codes) etc. 

Guest OwlPastie
1 hour ago, scram said:

David Seaman was a good keeper but one of the most overrated i've ever seen

I think most England #1s are over hyped. Pickford might be the only one who's actually under rated. 

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

The Super League should have been allowed to go ahead and would have been better for English football if it had.

This isn't even controversial

It will happen at some point however much UEFA stamp their feet

AFC Wimbledon fans should pipe down. They're not "the real Wimbledon", it's a new club. Yes they got s__t on but they deserted their own club to form another before it even moved, and if they'd been as bothered back then, instead of taking 25 fans to away games in the PL,  they'd probably still have their club.  Ground my gears when they bullied MK Dons into "renouncing their history" and demanded they hand over the trophies that Wimbledon FC won. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, scram said:

This isn't even controversial

It will happen at some point however much UEFA stamp their feet

I think it will too, but from what I've seen/heard from people is that it's really not wanted.

Top level football is already a closed shop pretty much, rather have them out of the way officially so other teams can compete for something more meaningful than a midtable Premier League finish.

13 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He would adapt to the time surely, like he wouldn't hit those balls quite as hard seeing as they're lighter

Mine is that England aren't as unsuccessful as people make out, based on population size winning a World Cup in about par, most countries that have won more have much bigger populations, like Brazil is about 5 times bigger than England and they have won 4-5 world cups. in addition football is one of a number of elite sports you can compete in here, many other countries don't have as many popular sports, such as Germany not having an equivalent of cricket, rugby (2 codes) etc. 

Disagree about other countries not having other sports. Handball and basketball are big in Germany - at least as big as cricket and RU are here.

13 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Mine is that England aren't as unsuccessful as people make out

Top-4 finishes, World Cup + Euros combined: Germany 22, Italy 13, France 11, Netherlands 10, Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic 7, Portugal 7, USSR/Russia 7, Spain 6, England 5, Sweden 5. World Cup alone: Brazil 11, Argentina 5, Uruguay 5, England 3. Even if you ignore the pre-war tournaments we couldn't be bothered to enter, it doesn't look good for us. Although I do think you could argue that fortune has not exactly been on our side over the years.

31 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Disagree about other countries not having other sports. Handball and basketball are big in Germany - at least as big as cricket and RU are here.

Basketball is big here the participation numbers are massive. 
Handball is not as big as what rugby and cricket are here, probably rugby league size? If that

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Basketball is big here the participation numbers are massive. 
Handball is not as big as what rugby and cricket are here, probably rugby league size? If that

But basketball is way smaller at professional level here than in Spain, Germany. I know indirectly a kind who plays for Sheffield. His ambition is to get signed by a Spanish or German club.

Wage levels in UK basketball have crashed these past two decades as the sporting culture has become far more dominated by football.

17 minutes ago, Sova said:

Top-4 finishes, World Cup + Euros combined: Germany 22, Italy 13, France 11, Netherlands 10, Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic 7, Portugal 7, USSR/Russia 7, Spain 6, England 5, Sweden 5. World Cup alone: Brazil 11, Argentina 5, Uruguay 5, England 3. Even if you ignore the pre-war tournaments we couldn't be bothered to enter, it doesn't look good for us. Although I do think you could argue that fortune has not exactly been on our side over the years.

This is what I mean though World Cup Brazil 11 England 3 Brazil population 211m England 55m so 4 x bigger 4 x the success. Then how many sports we play here factored in. Some countries are clearly well above par like Holland and Czechs.