Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Trust Letter To Members Re Season Ticket Refunds

Dear Member,

The Trust has made three formal requests to the club for the club to establish a refunds process for 20/21 season ticket holders, particularly for those fans whose personal or financial circumstances have changed since they bought the 20/21 season ticket and now feel they need a full refund. We anticipate this to be a small group of people, but nonetheless they may have a legitimate issue they wish to pursue.

The club has so far not established a refunds process.

We fully support the case for supporters to leave their money in the club and we hope that if fans can afford to, they will do it as this will help the club’s financial position. We encourage those fans who can do this to please do so. However, we also believe we have a responsibility to provide information to Trust members who feel that they are not able to do this.

We have some information provided to us by a Trust member who did receive a refund on his 20/21 season ticket, the information outlines the process he followed. If you would like to receive a copy of this information, on a strictly confidential basis, please email the Trust at enquiries@swfctrust.co.uk and we will provide you with the information by return.

The Trust does not provide legal advice of any kind.  In this instance the Trust is merely providing information to our members with respect to 20/21 season ticket refunds.  Any member who wishes to explore their options with respect to unrefunded 20/21 season tickets should seek independent legal advice from a suitably qualified professional.

For the avoidance of any doubt, with respect to the Trust’s position regarding refunds for 20/21 season tickets, we wish to make it clear that:

• The Trust is NOT taking legal action against the club on this matter.
  • The Trust is NOT suggesting or recommending that anyone commences legal action against the club on this matter.

That is a matter for the individual concerned.

Even at this late stage we still hope that the club will introduce a process to allow season ticket holders who believe they have a good case for a refund to make that case and to have their claim properly considered.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, JumboRex said:

It’s simple, anyone who asked for a refund (me included) should get it.. I really don’t know what there is to discuss.

I also believe that nobody should leave money in the club to help with the financial situation, and suggest as such is ludicrous. 

people paid for a product they couldn’t receive, through no fault of their own and therefore are entitled to a refund. I don’t understand why it’s so hard

Chased my 19/20 refund again, 4th time since Xmas, after requesting it 30th June last year. Not getting any response from Alastair Wilson. I'm trying my hardest not to fall out with this club but it's getting harder. 

6 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

Chased my 19/20 refund again, 4th time since Xmas, after requesting it 30th June last year. Not getting any response from Alastair Wilson. I'm trying my hardest not to fall out with this club but it's getting harder. 

Out of interest, did you buy a ST for last season?

• Like 1

Emailed the club last week for a second time to explain my health situation having substantially changed since I purchased my 20/21 season ticket. I did originally email them a couple of months ago, they wrote back confirming that id be getting credits and if this wasn't suitable to let them know. I did but got no response.

So yeah. Emailed them again last week and provided evidence from a consultant that I'll be having further major surgery in 3 months and that I currently cant complete some simple daily living tasks - meaning footballs out the question right now.

I'm not getting annoyed about it yet though tbh. I trust that they're busy through no fault of the ticket office staff themselves & are doing their level best to get back to everyone. I also trust that the club will do right by me. I have every intention to return once health allows. 

2 hours ago, JumboRex said:

It’s simple, anyone who asked for a refund (me included) should get it.. I really don’t know what there is to discuss.

I also believe that nobody should leave money in the club to help with the financial situation, and suggest as such is ludicrous. 

people paid for a product they couldn’t receive, through no fault of their own and therefore are entitled to a refund. I don’t understand why it’s so hard

That's up to the individuals. If they wish to leave their money in the club, they can. Their money; their choice. It's also not ludicrous to suggest that financially, this would be helping the club during what is a global downturn in finances within the sport.

The flip-side is just as black and white. Those who have asked for a refund, whatever their reasons, should get one, without having to jump through hoops of flaming fire to get it.

People will make their choices based on their own individual circumstances and beliefs.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Emailed the club last week for a second time to explain my health situation having substantially changed since I purchased my 20/21 season ticket. I did originally email them a couple of months ago, they wrote back confirming that id be getting credits and if this wasn't suitable to let them know. I did but got no response.

So yeah. Emailed them again last week and provided evidence from a consultant that I'll be having further major surgery in 3 months and that I currently cant complete some simple daily living tasks - meaning footballs out the question right now.

I'm not getting annoyed about it yet though tbh. I trust that they're busy through no fault of the ticket office staff themselves & are doing their level best to get back to everyone. I also trust that the club will do right by me. I have every intention to return once health allows. 

Speedy recovery

5 hours ago, JumboRex said:

If you want a refund that’s fine but to encourage others to not leave their money in the club if they choose is ludicrous, I bet you’re one of them who lost their sh 1t over us getting a CEO who once referred to fans as customers??

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Out of interest, did you buy a ST for last season?

Yes I did, got it feb19. Not sure what to do about next season. If I had money back in a timely manner from the previous year I would have probably renewed but the fact they are p1ssing us about so much makes me feel like walking away, trying to get a refund and put my money elsewhere (young un getting in to golf). 

Guest Hornsby
12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dear Member,

The Trust has made three formal requests to the club for the club to establish a refunds process for 20/21 season ticket holders, particularly for those fans whose personal or financial circumstances have changed since they bought the 20/21 season ticket and now feel they need a full refund. We anticipate this to be a small group of people, but nonetheless they may have a legitimate issue they wish to pursue.

The club has so far not established a refunds process.

We fully support the case for supporters to leave their money in the club and we hope that if fans can afford to, they will do it as this will help the club’s financial position. We encourage those fans who can do this to please do so. However, we also believe we have a responsibility to provide information to Trust members who feel that they are not able to do this.

We have some information provided to us by a Trust member who did receive a refund on his 20/21 season ticket, the information outlines the process he followed. If you would like to receive a copy of this information, on a strictly confidential basis, please email the Trust at enquiries@swfctrust.co.uk and we will provide you with the information by return.

The Trust does not provide legal advice of any kind.  In this instance the Trust is merely providing information to our members with respect to 20/21 season ticket refunds.  Any member who wishes to explore their options with respect to unrefunded 20/21 season tickets should seek independent legal advice from a suitably qualified professional.

For the avoidance of any doubt, with respect to the Trust’s position regarding refunds for 20/21 season tickets, we wish to make it clear that:

• The Trust is NOT taking legal action against the club on this matter.
  • The Trust is NOT suggesting or recommending that anyone commences legal action against the club on this matter.

That is a matter for the individual concerned.

Even at this late stage we still hope that the club will introduce a process to allow season ticket holders who believe they have a good case for a refund to make that case and to have their claim properly considered.

Another great Trust service. Please join.

For free legal advice , try your local Citizens Advice Bureau or consumer sites like Which.com, and often even your household insurance sometimes covers  legal costs and, or gives free related advice.

Small Claims Court claims can be filed on line or via a form at your local County Court. Relatively easy.

Edited by Hornsby

7 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

If you want a refund that’s fine but to encourage others to not leave their money in the club if they choose is ludicrous, I bet you’re one of them who lost their sh 1t over us getting a CEO who once referred to fans as customers??

not at all, barely lose my poo over anything to be honest. If you bought a TV that didn’t work, would you not take it for a refund because the appliance store didn’t make a profit last year? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Yes I did, got it feb19. Not sure what to do about next season. If I had money back in a timely manner from the previous year I would have probably renewed but the fact they are p1ssing us about so much makes me feel like walking away, trying to get a refund and put my money elsewhere (young un getting in to golf). 

Thanks.  We had a theory that everyone who bought a 20/21 ST had been refunded for 19/20 and those that hadn’t weren’t.  Your situation looks to have disproven this.  It’s looks worse than we thought.

It's entirely down to the individual on what choice they make with their money....but when they do make the choice, it should be honoured whether it is what the club want or not.

I submitted a Civil Money Claim this week. I hated having to do it mind, felt horrible. What else can you do when the club won't reply to a genuine refund request though?

Will report back on here when I get a response.

Seems a bit backward to me because, for each claim submitted, the club will have an extra £70 to pay the claimant (to cover the claim cost itself). 

Genuinely upsetting period for us all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Seems a bit backward to me because, for each claim submitted, the club will have an extra £70 to pay the claimant (to cover the claim cost itself). 

Yet another way in which Chansiri's short-term thinking ends up costing the club more in the long-run, then.

The fact that lifelong Wednesday fans are having to resort to such measures is disgraceful.

• Like 2

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, vulva said:

That statement is very much loading the gun and getting someone else to fire the bullets. 

Because Trust not regulated , nor qualified, to give legal advice.

They are doing great work.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

Because Trust not regulated , nor qualified, to give legal advice.

They are doing great work.

What’s that got to do with the price of fish. Supporters groups should stick to travel, kids initiatives and tombolas. Stay out of the politics, unless they’ve got the financial muscle to influence the key issue.  

Stop fanning the flames. I’m sure people are smart enough to make their own minds up on how to get their mine back, which they are rightfully due. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2