It's fine

It isn’t fine. However if you put Bannan, Windass and Hutchinson in, and somehow manage to get hold of a decent left back and centre forward, then it would just possibly be good enough if players stay fit. It all depends however on whether Mr Chansiri has given up on us. 

My Prediction.

Dawson

Palmer Hutch Dunkley Iorfa Galvin (or new recruit)

Bannan (Hunt) - Luongo (Waldock)

Green                    Paterson           Someone else                        

18 minutes ago, kouki said:

Hopefully we can stay up and with game time and experience we may even do better next season.

Ah, I see what's happened here.

When you said: 'it's fine', I took that to mean that somehow, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, we might become a competently-run football club who'd stand a chance of a quick return from the third tier of the football league.

If you'd clarified before now that your interpretation of 'it's fine' is that we might, hopefully, be able to stay up and avoid dropping into the fourth tier for the first time in our 154 year history, then the issue would have been a lot clearer.

:duntmatter:

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

11 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

This thread is a wind up right ?

Well, I knew what the overall response was likely to be when I posted it, but thought I'd try to put a positive spin on things given that it looks like we will barely bring anyone in and Bannan and Windass seem likely to leave.

Green can also play as a left winger and Charles Hagan (never seen him play personally) can play right wing, leaving room for Adedoyin up front with Patterson.  Also leaves Hutch, Hunt and Waldock as cover for Luongo when he gets injured.  Having said that, Hutch will probably be needed at centre back for most of the season.

Does anyone here actually rate any of our players under the age of 23?  Surely based on how Urhoghide did last season, there is hope for the others yet - I like to think so anyway.

• Like 2

A problem is that because we are Sheffield Wednesday in League 1 they will be supporters who will not accept a solid mid table season.

I am realistic but have to admit will be a part of me really annoyed and impatient when I am sat there on a cold grey Saturday afternoon on November  watching struggle against a poor Gillingham side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kouki said:

thought I'd try to put a positive spin on things

Why, though?

Do you genuinely believe things are positive, or are you just fed up of all the negativity?

If it's the latter, then that's understandable, but to deny reality and just cling to the hope that everything's somehow going to work out isn't going to convince anyone else.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's NOT fine.

Not by a long way

It COULD be fine IF Chansiri came out, sorted the mess he's created, and didn't let it happen again

But no - it's NOT fine

Helpful. Let’s just all keep bleating. 
OP is trying to be positive and for one that team would not get relegated from L1. 
It’s not a great situation but can we stop bleating. Jeez. 

• Like 2

Patterson and Green would probably bag 20+ goals a piece in League One, so that's 40-50 goals right there, and with a few coming from midfield, penalties, fluke own goals etc, then we'll be pushing 70+ goals a season.

Dunkley, Iorfa and Palmer are proven quality defenders, so would make 'the 300' look like *******.  Attack after attack would break down, like the puny River Don hitting against a 60m high Sea Wall, below a WW2 fortress, housed with rocket launchers and the SAS.  So we'd probably let in just a handful of goals.

Score 70 (say), let in 20 (say).  We'll be in the play-offs.  

• Haha 3

I'm desperate to be positive, but struggle to find anything to be positive about. 

The only thing we know is how much some of us have to pay to watch L1 football. Not that at this stage we could put a team out and still no accounts, under an embargo, no players signed, not even re-signed our own youth  players out of contract, or paid the players under contract (or fans owed money). 

I take the potential emergence of young players getting game time is positive, but there again shoot ourselves in the foot as not one of them has a contract running beyond the end of the season. Let's put them in the shop window to give away for nothing/peanuts, again?

Pre season starts in 72 hours, it's a shambles and pretending things are fine doesn't help 

13 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Patterson and Green would probably bag 20+ goals a piece in League One, so that's 40-50 goals right there, and with a few coming from midfield, penalties, fluke own goals etc, then we'll be pushing 70+ goals a season.

Dunkley, Iorfa and Palmer are proven quality defenders, so would make 'the 300' look like *******.  Attack after attack would break down, like the puny River Don hitting against a 60m high Sea Wall, below a WW2 fortress, housed with rocket launchers and the SAS.  So we'd probably let in just a handful of goals.

Score 70 (say), let in 20 (say).  We'll be in the play-offs.  

Sounds great.

I heard Paterson may be leaving.

:duntmatter:

Yes things behind the scenes are dire, but this isn't changing anytime soon.  At least some of his advisors are being shipped out.  I don't think he really wants his investment to end in disaster, at least I hope not.

On the pitch, we have youngsters who were on the books of Chelsea (Hagan), Man City (Dele Bashiru), Arsenal (Dawodu)  and who represented Ireland at youth level (Brennan).  I just like to think that whilst it will take time, with experience and proper investment in their development, they might just be able to cope against Rochdale, Crewe, Morecombe, Gillingham, Cheltenham and Cambridge as the season progresses.  Yes the first few games may be horrific but hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.  Pre season will be massive.

I hope we stay up, Chansiri takes proper advice and then we take stock to see who is ready and who isn't before making sensible hungry additions unlike our previous spending sprees which got us where we are now.  Remember that it was spending money badly that got us where we are today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kouki said:

Yes things behind the scenes are dire, but this isn't changing anytime soon.  At least some of his advisors are being shipped out.  I don't think he really wants his investment to end in disaster, at least I hope not.

On the pitch, we have youngsters who were on the books of Chelsea (Hagan), Man City (Dele Bashiru), Arsenal (Dawodu)  and who represented Ireland at youth level (Brennan).  I just like to think that whilst it will take time, with experience and proper investment in their development, they might just be able to cope against Rochdale, Crewe, Morecombe, Gillingham, Cheltenham and Cambridge as the season progresses.  Yes the first few games may be horrific but hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.  Pre season will be massive.

I hope we stay up, Chansiri takes proper advice and then we take stock to see who is ready and who isn't before making sensible hungry additions unlike our previous spending sprees which got us where we are now.  Remember that it was spending money badly that got us where we are today.

Very true mate - let's all keep our fingers crossed that the chairman turns himself around and comes back with a totally different progressive inclusive approach

Owlstalk Shop

Your “it’s fine” starting lineup includes multiple players out of position and 4 kids who have barely played for the first team.

Not to mention injury records and the fact that there isn’t a chance in hell Patterson plays for us again. Whose on the bench?

We need 8-10 new first team ready players, and then to hope that 6-7 young players are able to contribute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Your “it’s fine” starting lineup includes multiple players out of position and 4 kids who have barely played for the first team.

Not to mention injury records and the fact that there isn’t a chance in hell Patterson plays for us again. Whose on the bench?

We need 8-10 new first team ready players, and then to hope that 6-7 young players are able to contribute.

With Hagen on the right, Green on the left and Adedoyin up front it's only Brennan at lb who is out of position and we have some cover for central mid.  Cover in some areas is undoubtedly a concern, all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

Yes there are a lot of young players, but everyone of them is older than Jude Bellingham.

We will have to call on other under 23s to be subs and play some out of position at times yes.  It's fine doesn't mean it's great, but rather I think the squad can cope sufficiently not to go down again.

What have I not heard about Patterson?