Which fans are actually ready for next season and the players we will have?

So pre-season training starts this week

Our squad is down to bare bones having been relegated, a load of contracts expire on us, and players leaving.

Reputationally (not paying players etc) it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to sign quality ambitious fit players which leaves us in the situation where we are probably fielding youngsters from the academy

So the simple question is how many of our fans are ready for this?

How many of our fans will give the youngsters the time, space and opportunity to actually make mistakes and learn?

And which of our fans will just write them off after a couple of games as 'crap', and slate them to other Wednesday fans who are trying to support them and get behind them?

And how many of our fans are actually aware of the situation this club is in and what the calibre of players will be in our team next season?

Seems to me some more than others are going to be absolutely shocked to the core when our teamsheet is named for the first game

What do you reckon?

Owlstalk Shop

I'm pretty sure we can all name the people on here for instance who will be the ones slating the young un's if they make a mistake and then call them crap until they leave the club

I really hope this coming season they don't though - there's nothing more tiresome and it's a much more positive atmosphere when you allow players to make mistakes and encourage them on

Owlstalk Shop

Think the club desperately need an end to lockdown in mid-July. Without that, we're basically scuppered in terms of revenue as even the tickets they're selling now is based on money we already have. 

Think they'll be a few young players playing significant minutes though. But not as many as you may suggest, as I reckon probably towards the end of August we will sign a raft of loanees.

I'm 50/50 whether I'm bothered or not. Part of me desperate to look forward to a new season, but part of me wondering what's the point. 

Will reserve judgement to see what the squad looks like come the start of the season. 

Guest wilyfox

I’m hoping things come to a head before then. We can’t be starting the season like this. The players are the ones with power to squeeze Chansiri. I hope they do. Settle what he owes, or sell up & leave. This cannot continue.

I fully expect us to be playing the core of what we have left plus youngsters. Even a couple of the contracted players could end up leaving. 

As for bringing players in we are going to get the dregs of what free transfers are left. We obviously don’t have a penny to spend and our reputation of not paying wages isn’t going to attract anyone. 

Call me pessimistic but I think finishing in mid table would be a good result. 

I think we'll struggle to fulfil our fixtures and risk being kicked out of the league because of it. Renewed my ST, won't get on the players back when we're a car crash because it's not their fault. It's Chumpsiri's.

I'll be making my feelings about him abundantly clear when we're allowed back in, and I expect Hillsborough to be a cauldron of hate directed squarely at him. Even when he doesn't have the guts to show his arrogant face. In fact, I'd like to think Wilder would get a warmer welcome at Hillsborough than that useless c__t.

I'm completely ready for another relegation season.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm pretty sure we can all name the people on here for instance who will be the ones slating the young un's if they make a mistake and then call them crap until they leave the club

I really hope this coming season they don't though - there's nothing more tiresome and it's a much more positive atmosphere when you allow players to make mistakes and encourage them on

You know something buddy, this hardship could be the best thing to happen to the club and fans.

Through hardship and adversity comes a togetherness.

All I can say is that I will fully support the lads, as long as they leave it all on the pitch, what more can we ask?

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

You know something buddy, this hardship could be the best thing to happen to the club and fans.

Through hardship and adversity comes a togetherness.

All I can say is that I will fully support the lads, as long as they leave it all on the pitch, what more can we ask?

Onwards and upwards.

100%

let's hope so

Let's hope this is a permanent end to the 'I"m a bigger and better fan than you are' Uberfan mentality and we start to understand that nobody is a better or bigger fan of SWFC than anyone else

We could come out of all this so much better, more positive and stronger if that happened

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

let's hope so

Let's hope this is a permanent end to the 'I"m a bigger and better fan than you are' Uberfan mentality and we start to understand that nobody is a better or bigger fan of SWFC than anyone else

We could come out of all this so much better, more positive and stronger if that happened

Exactly.

Sickened to read some comments on the Alex Hunt thread. Are they even fans?

I’m looking forward to seeing what Moore can do with us. He supposedly had Doncaster playing an exciting brand of football with a young side. Could he possibly replicate that here? If he does then the juggernaut could really get moving again and that is why he took this job.

As I’ve said before I’m expecting a few more senior pros to leave before the end of this window including Bannan and of course this makes Moore’s job even harder but I have confidence due to his background in youth football that he can get what’s required out of the kids.

I’m not expecting miracles though and even though it won’t appease the masses we have no choice but to play the long game here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Jim said:

I’m looking forward to seeing what Moore can do with us. He supposedly had Doncaster playing an exciting brand of football with a young side. Could he possibly replicate that here? 

Let's hope so Jim - I'm same as you I"m really excited to see what he can do!

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

So pre-season training starts this week

Our squad is down to bare bones having been relegated, a load of contracts expire on us, and players leaving.

Reputationally (not paying players etc) it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to sign quality ambitious fit players which leaves us in the situation where we are probably fielding youngsters from the academy

So the simple question is how many of our fans are ready for this?

How many of our fans will give the youngsters the time, space and opportunity to actually make mistakes and learn?

And which of our fans will just write them off after a couple of games as 'crap', and slate them to other Wednesday fans who are trying to support them and get behind them?

And how many of our fans are actually aware of the situation this club is in and what the calibre of players will be in our team next season?

Seems to me some more than others are going to be absolutely shocked to the core when our teamsheet is named for the first game

What do you reckon?

Cameron Jerome and Lansbury just joined Luton for nowt..would have been great for us.. but idiots still keep saying Nuhui..sigh..ffs..

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I know you and the mods don't have the luxury but I really appreciate being able to block some posters.

I don't mind people offering a critique when it's due. 

What drives me nuts is when people criticise all the time without offering a positive alternative.

I don't need to read their posts so I don't.

Personally due to the circumstances at the club I'm not expecting much but I am hoping for a great season because I want us to do well.

I think it might be a long road back though ☹️

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I know you and the mods don't have the luxury but I really appreciate being able to block some posters.

I don't mind people offering a critique when it's due. 

What drives me nuts is when people criticise all the time without offering a positive alternative. 

Agreed mate

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Buzzing for the season to start, shame there are so many naysayers in our ranks but it is what it is.

C'mon on you Owls!

I think some think it's proper cool to just say 'xxxxxx is rubbish. he's crap. he's useless' and give him a right good slating, and then some even go onto the players social media and tell them directly, or tag them in their tweets so they see it

It's so needy and really really sad that some think that's a worthwhile way to spend their time

(it's usually 9 year olds that do it)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop