Harry Kane

16 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Should’ve taken a third striker (I don’t count Rashford). 

I hate to see Kane dropping deep… unless you put Sancho wide I can’t see it working much. Sterling makes all the wrong decisions. Foden got taken off. 

Kane also looks shattered and like he’d be too tired to get in the box anyway. 

I see the midfield link as the biggest issue - there isn’t one unless Grealish is on. 

Kane gets left isolated too much which I feel stems from the two CDMs and no wingbacks. 

He won’t be dropped though. Even though DCL has better fitness. 

Kane drops too deep, which is OK if our pacy players like sterling, Sancho, rashford and runners from deep like mount are hitting this space, like son does for him at spurs 

But for some reason sterling things he's Totti and plays in the pocket, and he's the worst technical player I've ever seen  in such positions, at the top level. 

The way we are playing right now, I'd be seriously tempted to bring DCL in for Rice/Phillips and move Mount deeper, and play Kane as a genuine number 10. Either that or tell Kane to pin the final CB and stay the width of the goalposts and get in and around the box all the time 

7 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Kane is a goal machine and should be in / around the box. No donkey work should be required. 

Bayern don’t have Lewandowski doing unnecessary stuff about from get on the end of things. 

I agree. Southgate doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Should’ve taken a third striker (I don’t count Rashford). 

I hate to see Kane dropping deep… unless you put Sancho wide I can’t see it working much. Sterling makes all the wrong decisions. Foden got taken off. 

Kane also looks shattered and like he’d be too tired to get in the box anyway. 

I see the midfield link as the biggest issue - there isn’t one unless Grealish is on. 

Kane gets left isolated too much which I feel stems from the two CDMs and no wingbacks. 

He won’t be dropped though. Even though DCL has better fitness. 

A back 4 and 2 DM's is inexplicable tbf

A back 3 with WB's then maybe understandable

I think southgate got obsessed with the threat they had down their left and reacted to that rather than play a system that imposed our threat on them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Kane is a goal machine and should be in / around the box. No donkey work should be required. 

Bayern don’t have Lewandowski doing unnecessary stuff about from get on the end of things. 

Not sure I agree with this. Yes he needs to be in and around the box more but plenty of goals he gets for Spurs are scored from outside the box or from work he has been involved in during the build up. He is not simply a penalty box striker and never has been.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure I agree with this. Yes he needs to be in and around the box more but plenty of goals he gets for Spurs are scored from outside the box or from work he has been involved in during the build up. He is not simply a penalty box striker and never has been.

In the other thread I said in and around the box… I don’t think the two players wide of him are exactly linking up great with him either. 

I mainly think he should be staying in the box (right now) is because he looks leggy as hell. 

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

In the other thread I said in and around the box… I don’t think the two players wide of him are exactly linking up great with him either. 

I mainly think he should be staying in the box (right now) is because he looks leggy as hell. 

I agree he looks leggy. On that basis he shouldn't be starting.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree he looks leggy. On that basis he shouldn't be starting.

I’m leaning on the side of no he shouldn’t… he seems a bit of a broken man too - which is worrying two games in. 

I can’t see that Southgate would ever drop him to the bench so maybe it’s irrelevant. 

— also, our delivery from crosses was abysmal so DCL would also struggle tbf

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

I’m leaning on the side of no he shouldn’t… he seems a bit of a broken man too - which is worrying two games in. 

I can’t see that Southgate would ever drop him to the bench so maybe it’s irrelevant. 

— also, our delivery from crosses was abysmal so DCL would also struggle tbf

The delivery into the box was poor but DCL would win more from Pickford's kicks and balls up to him in general - at times Kane looked to be struggling to get much off the ground in that respect, he was beaten to aerial challenges far more easily than he usually would be. 

I think Kane's fitness is the biggest concern to how he is playing rather than how he is being used, he just doesn't look up to it physically. 

I've said it many times in various threads..this is the third tournament in a row Kane has been awful. 

In Euro 2016, so much was expected of him after a big season at Spurs. He was young and fresh...and played like he had a washing machine strapped to his back. He was shocking. 

WC 2018 - yeah yeah, golden boot..but come on, that was an extremely cheap golden boot, and where was he against Belgium x 2,  Colombia and Croatia? We know he's a flat track bully like Rooney was , but he was well below his Premier League standard. 

This tournament I'm sad to say I was waiting for him to underperform,  and he has. 

It can only be two things for me 

1. Lack of natural fitness, physically and mentally,  meaning he is exhausted at the end of the season. 

2. Stage fright- he doesn't back himself  to play his natural game on the biggest stage , which is bizarre because he comes up against worse or similar defenders in the premier league, and owns them 

It can't be the sytem or Southgate's tactics, because he hasn't got a problem in qualifying.  

Whatever the reason, his terrible performances will have affected the confidence of the team, and it would benefit all parties if Calvert-Lewin led the line against ghe Czechs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I've said it many times in various threads..this is the third tournament in a row Kane has been awful. 

In Euro 2016, so much was expected of him after a big season at Spurs. He was young and fresh...and played like he had a washing machine strapped to his back. He was shocking. 

WC 2018 - yeah yeah, golden boot..but come on, that was an extremely cheap golden boot, and where was he against Belgium x 2,  Colombia and Croatia? We know he's a flat track bully like Rooney was , but he was well below his Premier League standard. 

This tournament I'm sad to say I was waiting for him to underperform,  and he has. 

1. Lack of natural fitness, physically and mentally,  meaning he is exhausted at the end of the season. 

2. Stage fright- he doesn't back himself  to play his natural game on the biggest stage , which is bizarre because he comes up against worse or similar defenders in the premier league, and owns them 

It can't be the sytem or Southgate's tactics, because he hasn't got a problem in qualifying.  

Whatever the reason, his terrible performances will have affected the confidence of the team, and it would benefit all parties if Calvert-Lewin led the line against ghe Czechs. 

Obvs, tap ins and pens don't count. Same with Rooney. Man U and England's record scorer (pretty much in his 20s too). Overrated

Ever wondered why he was poor against the better teams were because England were poorer?

Im actually leaning towards giving DCL a shot.

He's not brilliant but he will at least stretch the opposition a bit and perhaps create a bit of space. He's good in the air too which would be useful.

Kane is playing like a number 10 atm and not a particularly good one. Doesn't help also that Sterling (goal aside) had been off it for several months now. You've also got a very young player in Foden still finding his feet at this level.

DCL, Grealish and Sancho need to be all considered for Tuesday. You've got the squad, so use it.

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Obvs, tap ins and pens don't count. Same with Rooney. Man U and England's record scorer (pretty much in his 20s too). Overrated

Ever wondered why he was poor against the better teams were because England were poorer?

It's got nothing to do with being poor against the better teams. Obviously penalties and tap in count but doesn't perhaps reflect the overall performance. Do you think Kane played well in Euro 2016, World Cup 2018 or in the two warm up games and this tournament so far, even against the lesser ranked nations?

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

When you are assessing how Kane played in the World Cup, no penalties don't count do they? What if someone else was on penalties? 

Rooney,  like Kane, was a fabulous Premier League player, but having seen his whole career, I can only think of his intial burst in his first Euro tournament when he played well for England when it mattered.

England being poor never stopped Lineker,  Shearer and Owen scoring vital tournament goals in the knockout stages or key group games. 

16 hours ago, Bannofan said:

First paragraph 😂

Won golden boot in Russia & carried an injury in knockout stages. 

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

First paragraph 😂

Tbf its right though. 

Scored 4 goals against panama and Tunisia, though he looked to be more mobile then he has in the euros so far 

3 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

First paragraph 😂

Well, The cheapness of that Golden Boot is there on record. 3 pens and one that hit him that knew nothing about. That last minute header against Tunisia was class though. 

If he had an injury in the knockout stages, he shouldn't have played . He was non existent against Colombia , and Croatia especially.

28 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Citeh have offered £100 million for him apparently, take it or leave it offer.

Pep must be losing his marbles.

He'll be class for City. Club level when playing week in week out he's a different gravy, it's the familiar story, turn up for England and look a shadow of their club self 

• Like 2