Harry Kane

I think he needs his own thread

He is clearly not playing very well at this competition but even when he was top scorer at 2018 World Cup he wasn't all that great in open play and I think he often goes missing for England. I have just had a quick refresher and found that he has only scored goals against Germany and France in friendlies that are top teams and and got a goal v Croatia in the nations league, and the penalty v Columbia in the last World Cup then everything else is against mediocre/poor sides

I think we would be better off considering alternatives because he is clearly not very fit at the moment too, I think we should at least leave him out v Czechia. I'm sick of him wandering about the game doing nothing then getting frustrated and dropping deep and turning into an old Wayne Rooney. I wonder how many millions he is knocking off his transfer fee playing like this?

This being said at club he's a different animal and when he drops deep for Spurs and plays Son through he does it incredibly well. I think if Man City get hold of him they will be an incredible force but on the way he's playing that clubs might be put off and may see him as one of these players that excels in certain teams and not others and I wonder if they'll still gonna offer the sort of money Spurs would want to let him leave. 

Also those ankle ligaments can only return to about 70% of their original strength after being ruptured and he's injured them multiple times so , I feel like he's very mindful of his ankles, you often see him walking quite gingerly, I wonder if the load of a tournament like this is just too much for him on the back of a pretty tough season too

35 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He is clearly not playing very well at this competition but even when he was top scorer at 2018 World Cup he wasn't all that great in open play and I think he often goes missing for England. I have just had a quick refresher and found that he has only scored goals against Germany and France in friendlies that are top teams and and got a goal v Croatia in the nations league, and the penalty v Columbia in the last World Cup then everything else is against mediocre/poor sides

I think we would be better off considering alternatives because he is clearly not very fit at the moment too, I think we should at least leave him out v Czechia. I'm sick of him wandering about the game doing nothing then getting frustrated and dropping deep and turning into an old Wayne Rooney. I wonder how many millions he is knocking off his transfer fee playing like this?

This being said at club he's a different animal and when he drops deep for Spurs and plays Son through he does it incredibly well. I think if Man City get hold of him they will be an incredible force but on the way he's playing that clubs might be put off and may see him as one of these players that excels in certain teams and not others and I wonder if they'll still gonna offer the sort of money Spurs would want to let him leave. 

@fudge27 called for him to be rested before the Scotland game. I said it was never going to happen and so it proved but having watched him play it is hard to argue that he should have been out of the side.

When everyone is 100% fit Kane is by far the best central striker we have but he is way off it right now, we surely wouldn't have been any less of a threat yesterday if Calvert-Lewin had played instead. He may not be as potent in front of goal but would have offered more movement and brought others around him into play. Kane is rarely winning aerial duels when the ball is played up to him and it is not sticking when he drops short to feet either. Part of the reason we look so static is that the lively players like Foden currently don't have anything to play off up top.

I though Kane should have been rested in the two pre-tournament games which were pretty pointless for him given the amount of other first choice players that were unavailable. Maybe he played in those games as a means to increasing his fitness and trying to get up to speed due to an ongoing fitness issue. Whatever the case Southgate has a decision to make now as he is a focal point to our attack but it is not working with his current energy levels. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Who comes in though? 

Do you really want to have Calvert Lewin leading the line? 

Really think we should have taken Ings with us. 

Yeh I definitely would have had Ings there. Would have to play DLC next though, can’t see him doing worse. Antonio would do better!

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

@fudge27 called for him to be rested before the Scotland game. I said it was never going to happen and so it proved but having watched him play it is hard to argue that he should have been out of the side.

When everyone is 100% fit Kane is by far the best central striker we have but he is way off it right now, we surely wouldn't have been any less of a threat yesterday if Calvert-Lewin had played instead. He may not be as potent in front of goal but would have offered more movement and brought others around him into play. Kane is rarely winning aerial duels when the ball is played up to him and it is not sticking when he drops short to feet either. Part of the reason we look so static is that the lively players like Foden currently don't have anything to play off up top.

I though Kane should have been rested in the two pre-tournament games which were pretty pointless for him given the amount of other first choice players that were unavailable. Maybe he played in those games as a means to increasing his fitness and trying to get up to speed due to an ongoing fitness issue. Whatever the case Southgate has a decision to make now as he is a focal point to our attack but it is not working with his current energy levels. 

Good point about Foden and Sterling not playing off of him. Can’t see Guardiola wanting to replicate that!

31 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh I definitely would have had Ings there. Would have to play DLC next though, can’t see him doing worse. Antonio would do better!

Good point about Foden and Sterling not playing off of him. Can’t see Guardiola wanting to replicate that!

At his best they could play off him, he does link play effectively when fit, he just looks miles off it right now. Calvert-Lewin would be more effective at stretching play to create space and winning headers up top at the moment.  

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

However he plays won't devalue him be even a fiver

He'll fetch top money based on his club appearances - clubs don't care about international performances

Also, there isn't an issue with him dropping deep - it's a legitimate tactic but there must be some outcome from it by either a runner going beyond into the space or a wide player coming central to open up the channel for eg

That doesn't happen

It's not even a particularly evolved tactic but it can be very effective - Wales did it several times vs Turkey and Ramsey got his goal from it

When the defensive lines get compact as they did with Scotland then you can't just keep passing side to side and expect to open them up - there must be commitment between the lines which is what a striker dropping deep can provide

12 minutes ago, scram said:

However he plays won't devalue him be even a fiver

He'll fetch top money based on his club appearances - clubs don't care about international performances

Also, there isn't an issue with him dropping deep - it's a legitimate tactic but there must be some outcome from it by either a runner going beyond into the space or a wide player coming central to open up the channel for eg

That doesn't happen

It's not even a particularly evolved tactic but it can be very effective - Wales did it several times vs Turkey and Ramsey got his goal from it

When the defensive lines get compact as they did with Scotland then you can't just keep passing side to side and expect to open them up - there must be commitment between the lines which is what a striker dropping deep can provide

What do you reckon to his ankles? That will knock a good chunk off surely?

Possibly. 

It's the general route for those who have had ankle issues

Bale had ligament reconstruction

Really good success rate

Has to be said its reasonably common for footballers to be missing an ankle ligament

Depends on the stability of the joint which obviously relies on me than just ligaments as you know

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Let’s bench our best player. Brilliant.

owls talks master tacticians. Lol 

Do you think he is playing well and looks fully fit?

Just now, fudge27 said:

Taz in poor WUM attempts and adding nothing to a football chat. What a shock

Are they WUM attempts. I've seen his rare posts in the matchday section and in here and genuinely just thought he knows nothing about football.

My opinion is Kane is shattered for whatever reason. 

It's obvious off the last season especially that was condensed and in which 3 English teams got to the European finals too, that the squad should be utilised more than ever imo. 

Get the players an extra week of doing the bare minimum to try and refresh them. 

We have a squad with a lot of young attacking talent and I'd get em used to try and keep the big players as fresh as possible. For me Kane should have not played after Croatia until the knockouts. Same with Sterling. I understand wanting to get some form and chemistry but if they don't know one another's games by now an extra game won't make much difference an extra 90 mins

• Like 1

Should’ve taken a third striker (I don’t count Rashford). 

I hate to see Kane dropping deep… unless you put Sancho wide I can’t see it working much. Sterling makes all the wrong decisions. Foden got taken off. 

Kane also looks shattered and like he’d be too tired to get in the box anyway. 

I see the midfield link as the biggest issue - there isn’t one unless Grealish is on. 

Kane gets left isolated too much which I feel stems from the two CDMs and no wingbacks. 

He won’t be dropped though. Even though DCL has better fitness.