Richard Cresswell

My main memory of Cresswell is when me and my then girlfriend were on a day out one summer in York we had to take cover in a bus shelter to escape a biblical hailstorm,  and Cresswell and his missus were trapped in there with us. 

I’ve dined out on that anecdote for years.

2 hours ago, MarvelOwls said:

He can go into the Leon Clarke, Alan Quinn, Derek Geary and Leigh Bromby category for me.

Once they cross that divide, I erase from my head

Followed by the SHOCK headline

“Football Players proved to be unloyal to one club following transfer to rival club” 

:ghoulguy:

• Haha 2

I remember thinking we had got a really good signing on our hands when he scored early on against Liverpool.

In truth he was the sort of player we should have rebuilt around when we went down. We did actually have some players well suited to having a push in the Championship but they were the ones who were easy to move on and we were left with the high earning crocks who didn't have the heart for it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, modboy said:

And we wonder why we got relegated the following year with PL signings like him and DeBilde etc

we had a talent for seeking out a c/f that couldn't hit a mammoth's ar$e with a banjo, andy (7 a season, then **** off back to 'uddersfield) booth, colin west.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, George said:

I remember thinking we had got a really good signing on our hands when he scored early on against Liverpool.

In truth he was the sort of player we should have rebuilt around when we went down. We did actually have some players well suited to having a push in the Championship but they were the ones who were easy to move on and we were left with the high earning crocks who didn't have the heart for it.

Spot on.

We went through a phase of taking a chance on youngsters from lower leagues. Sometimes works, mostly doesn't. Those 2 from Peterborough spring to mind that I dont think ever played or progressed with us. Billington and McKeever?

Didnt break the bank at the time compared to some others arriving from abroad also unproven. 

Sadly I see the likes of Danny Sonner on another level of odd signings.

6 hours ago, MarvelOwls said:

I think you build that sort of loyalty up.

I do anyway.

But it's not a job I do.

Would you have welcomed any of their players to us? Or a manager - Warnock?

Has Benitez been confirmed for Everton? Guaranteed that as soon as he loses a couple of games they will be on his back quicker than they would with a manager who hadnt been with Liverpool

Ps I dont know who that lad is on the image attached but it's not me mate 😂

I don’t really care for players and loyalty.  As I imply, it doesn’t exist in my eyes....not now anyway....so not particularly surprised to see players coming and going.

I would have been annoyed at Hirst or someone of the early 90s going to local rivals, only because the amount of things we were challenging for...

Benitiz - manager merry go round, I think he’d be a good appointment for them

10 hours ago, paulrs said:

My main memory of Cresswell is when me and my then girlfriend were on a day out one summer in York we had to take cover in a bus shelter to escape a biblical hailstorm,  and Cresswell and his missus were trapped in there with us. 

I take it you haven’t got much of an appetite then ?😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, paulrs said:

I bet youre an amazing dinner guest!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paolo Coopio said:

We went through a phase of taking a chance on youngsters from lower leagues. Sometimes works, mostly doesn't. Those 2 from Peterborough spring to mind that I dont think ever played or progressed with us. Billington and McKeever?

Didnt break the bank at the time compared to some others arriving from abroad also unproven. 

Sadly I see the likes of Danny Sonner on another level of odd signings.

Billington's career ended very early due to injuries. He was considered a very talented player, no doubt we could have spoiled him without them too.

24 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Billington's career ended very early due to injuries. He was considered a very talented player, no doubt we could have spoiled him without them too.

Yep - strategically, it wasn't a bad idea at all but I think Billington and McKeever both got wiped out with injuries before they were 20. Slightly different circumstances and they could have been the standard of Etherington and Simon Davies: Peterborough were a talent factory at the time (although the less said about Kit Carson, the better).

It's a bit late now but I would have been fascinated by an in-depth look at our training methods and staff between about 1998 and 2001: was it sheer bad luck, poor scouting or post-signing incompetence that meant we kept breaking players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

It's a bit late now but I would have been fascinated by an in-depth look at our training methods and staff between about 1998 and 2001: was it sheer bad luck, poor scouting or post-signing incompetence that meant we kept breaking players?

Ive good news for you - pop down to Middlewood Road in 2021 and you can still see for yourself.

• Haha 5