How good was Kevin Pressman

I remember the first time I saw Pressman in goal. I had become used to crosses into our box being bad news as Woods would spill it every single time: early in this game (I think against Southampton with Alan Shearer) they sent a high ball into a crowded box and Pressman plucked it out of the air. Massive sense of relief! 

On 16/06/2021 at 01:39, manicowl said:

A lot of comments saying there were quality keepers ahead of him in the England pecking order. Ian Walker was in the squad around this time, an awful keeper who was Venables's Golden boy at Tottenham. Pressman was third behind Seaman and Flowers at that point in my opinion. Behind only probably Steve Bruce and Paul Davis as the best uncapped English player.

Would certainly add Ian Crook in the mix.

On 18/06/2021 at 09:27, MartinOwlMan said:

I remember the first time I saw Pressman in goal. I had become used to crosses into our box being bad news as Woods would spill it every single time: early in this game (I think against Southampton with Alan Shearer) they sent a high ball into a crowded box and Pressman plucked it out of the air. Massive sense of relief! 

Bit of a lost art this with the modern balls and less crosses coming in Kev was the master of claiming crosses and corners! 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2021 at 12:33, bobness said:

As a lad I wished he'd do a Chilavert, and take our penalties during matches.

Unbelievable to think he used to take the free kicks aswell. Imagine a keeper doing that now 

35 minutes ago, s65owls said:

I think this is the worse era for Wednesday regarding the standard of goalies. Ron Springett and even his late brother Peter, Peter Grummitt, Chris Turner to name but a few who were in league of their own compared to out current pair of first teamers.

Absolutely spot on this being the worst period for the standard of goalie.Was bit too young to remember Ron Springett, but the Peter's i still remember from when started following Wednesday which was about 1973 onwards.

On 15/06/2021 at 20:53, SiJ said:

He'd be getting into the England squad these days, no question imo. 

Think he was a tad unlucky that we had a lot of very good keepers about when he was in his prime. 

There were some decent keepers about but I would place him above Tim Flowers and Ian Walker.

12 hours ago, FightLikeAGirl said:

Late to the thread, but he's my favourite Wednesday player ever. As you can tell from my userpic. Good interview with him the other day on the Phoenix Five podcast. No love lost between him and Di Canio/Carbone!

And Wilson who's treatment of him was nothing short of a disgrace.

12 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

In my view one of the top 4/5 SWFC Keepers that i've seen.

1. Martin Hodge
  2. Kevin Pressman
  3. Bob Bolder
  4. Lee Grant
  5. Kieran Westwood

Finally, The Worst Ever Keeper Award goes to Ola Tidman.😳

So you think Bolder, Grant and Westwood were better than Chris Woods? How many cup finals did they get us to? 

9 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Best keeper never to play for the full England team.

Not even the best keeper for us not to play for England. 

Although i do agree he should have been capped. 

IF Graham Taylor has stayed England manager i suspect he would  have, he seemed to like picking our players. 

7 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

So you think Bolder, Grant and Westwood were better than Chris Woods? How many cup finals did they get us to? 

My Choice of not including C Woods in my top 5 doesn't mean that that he's a bad keeper far from it but it's that 1991/92 game against the Pigs at Hillsborough and the 1993 Cup Final Replay against Arsenal that still frustrates me more than anything in the 1992/93 season.

Remember that Wolves game got in the pub a minute late after kick-off. Where's Pressman? Ahhh.

I saw him in Halfords a few year back and shouted England's number one at him, looked at me gone out, lol.