How good was Kevin Pressman

Think kev got a chance in late 80's,

I was only young but was amazed at his agility and kicking power, plus he was in superb condition.

Think it was kev who got cruciate torn vs man city when hirsty went in net. Like hirsty he might have come back with some weight after long lay off or not got back in team, but he was better than flapper woods and little chris turner imo.

Like hirsty, might have done more for england if injury free or at a darling club imo.

Yes he put weight on over time but we might have won fa cup if he was our no1 in 93, he wouldn't have let us down like woods did on big occasions.

About those low shot comments, at 40 secs that's 1 of best pen saves i've ever seen, he wouldn't have saved that at the end of his career fair enough, but hardly anyone could ever make a save like that, including shilton at italia 90, woods or even seaman.

Massively underrated in his prime and at his best was easily a top prem keeper imo

• Like 3

On his day he was a quality keeper, but he did have more than his fair share of howlers. I'm not sure he deserved an England cap as Seaman, Martyn and Flowers were all more consistent keepers, and to be honest, so was Woods. It was only when Woods started to decline that Pressman got in ahead of him.

And yes, Woods dropped a few clangers in big games, but he did get us to those 2 finals. It doesn't stick in the memory so much when we get knocked out of cups in the early rounds because Pressman has decided to try and dribble round Trevor Benjamin or let a Mark Hughes daisy cutter squirm over him.

A lot of comments saying there were quality keepers ahead of him in the England pecking order. Ian Walker was in the squad around this time, an awful keeper who was Venables's Golden boy at Tottenham. Pressman was third behind Seaman and Flowers at that point in my opinion. Behind only probably Steve Bruce and Paul Davis as the best uncapped English player.

• Like 4

Guest Hornsby

Sadly, like many of that era, excess weight etc badly reduced performance.

Compare to Di Canio and Benito who could last 95 mins, many English players so unfit.

Still can't believe how Hirsty wasted his mid  career.

On 15/06/2021 at 09:43, edwinowl said:

Was my ex next door neighbor at Chesterfield. 
We became good friends. He used to come over to my house Friday evenings whilst his wife put kids to bed and for a chill before big games at home on the Saturday. 
Cracking bloke and went on many a night out with him and his wife into Sheffield. 
Once had a party at mine and he invited Jim Magilton over as well. Happy days. 
Thought his son Thomas might make a keeper as he had a small keeping set up in his back garden but seems not. 

Thomas was an apprentice at Scunthorpe but didn't turn pro. Last I heard he was Goalkeeper coach for Sheff Utd women.

On 15/06/2021 at 09:43, edwinowl said:

Was my ex next door neighbor at Chesterfield. 

We became good friends. He used to come over to my house Friday evenings

Cracking bloke and went on many a night out with him and his wife into Sheffield. 

Once had a party at mine and he invited Jim Magilton over as well. Happy days. 

Chesterfield people - let’s be honest - they’re ALL swingers arent they

lol

Owlstalk Shop

21 hours ago, George said:

For reasons I never understood, Danny Wilson preferred Pavel Srnicek.

Back in the days of DJ Fattybear my username was PressmanFan so I may be a little biased, but I agree with you. Nothing against Srnicek he was a good keeper. However that season where Pressman basically played half and Pav the other half the Opta stats had them neck and neck for shot stopping, I think KP was edging it. But Pressman had dropped only one cross, Srnicek had spilled six. Pressman was a terrific keeper for us and is still my favourite Wednesday player ever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, manicowl said:

A lot of comments saying there were quality keepers ahead of him in the England pecking order. Ian Walker was in the squad around this time, an awful keeper who was Venables's Golden boy at Tottenham. Pressman was third behind Seaman and Flowers at that point in my opinion. Behind only probably Steve Bruce and Paul Davis as the best uncapped English player.

Walker was terrible. Awful keeper

• Like 1