change.org - Petition to the EFL: Review the fit and proper test for football directors

1 hour ago, NobbyStyle said:

A simple maths test that included calendar dates could have helped us…

:Chansiri:

That's it! By Jove, he's cracked it.

Chansiri is working using the Julian calendar, so everything stacks up with dates.  EFL discriminated against Chansiri.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The fit and proper test should be a yearly test. It can be clearly seen DC is out of his depth and the club is going backwards.

The EFL won't be doing there job of a club goes bust because they allowed an incompetent fool stay in his job.

Wouldn't work, you can't do a fit and proper person test when the guy is already £100m+ in.

Wage cap is a much better option. I'm sure Lionel Messi would still play football if he could only earn £20k a week.

That's what makes my blood boil when Perez is spouting off about "saving football" with his rounduns super league

46 minutes ago, Manwë said:

That's it! By Jove, he's cracked it.

Chansiri is working using the Julian calendar, so everything stacks up with dates.  EFL discriminated against Chansiri.

I think it’s run from a B&M sundial that his Mrs bought from Kilner Way

lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

No, but it should be like a professional qualification in that certain conditions have to be met annually for the qualification to remain in effect.

Therefore there should be a regular review of all owners and their conduct to ensure they are maintaining the requirements of a fit and proper person, and the recognised fans bodies (as well as other organisations such as the PFA) should have a right to request a review at any time.

Furthermore the Fit & Proper test conditions should be set and reviewed by a proper statutory body, not the Football authorities.

in this scenario what happens to the owner and moreover what happens to the club if they aren’t? 

7 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

in this scenario what happens to the owner and moreover what happens to the club if they aren’t? 

Owner forced to sell like Collins was, not allowed any involvement with the club.

We have to find ways to penalise bad owners and force them out of the game.

7 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Owner forced to sell like Collins was, not allowed any involvement with the club.

We have to find ways to penalise bad owners and force them out of the game.

I assume you mean the guy at Leeds? 
What happens if there is no willing buyer or no one willing to pay the owners price?

The guy at Leeds was suspended from involvement in the management for a period but was and could not be forced to sell.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Which is way it needs a complete overhaul.

Two things that I would have made mandatory are:

1) Wage caps for each division, relegation automatically triggers the new wage cap at the lower level.

2) Owners are required before the start of each season to place the monies necessary to cover the running of the club (costs based on most recent accounts) into an escrow account to ensure that once a club has commenced the season it is able to finish it.

If that forces a lot of the wealthy billionaire owners out of the game (who let's face it are only in the game for their egos and EPL riches), then great because long term the game will be better for it.

The game is a lost cause. FFP and fit and proper were both brought in to try and address issues, and both are treated with utter contempt by owners, and fans. Newcastle fans are lobbying local MPs to allow Ashley to sell to the Saudis. 

Many clubs, not just us, seem to do nothing other than try and be as creative as possible to get round FFP. 

The next step in my opinion would be to increase the punishments for breaking FFP. Relegation by 2 divisions. No faffing about, and no margin for discretion. It’s a bit like speeding. Make the fine £20k and everyone would drive at 30 mph. Make it £80 and a nice seminar at a local hotel and people don’t really take it seriously.  

• Love 1

What I'm thinking is just a start, with rules being tightened over say a decade.

I want all the parasites in the game who are in it for the sake of their egos etc. to be forced out and the game given back to the fans.

At the same time I want players to get a good wage for what they do, but at the same time a realistic one.

No more youngsters becoming millionaires before t h ey are 21 having made just a handful of appearances in 2nd rate cup competitions. 

The madness has to end, the sooner the better. 

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

I assume you mean the guy at Leeds? 
What happens if there is no willing buyer or no one willing to pay the owners price?

The guy at Leeds was suspended from involvement in the management for a period but was and could not be forced to sell.

Collins?!@?

Bloody autocorrect!

13 hours ago, Sheff74 said:

The EFL put the rules in place and enforce them, when they can. Owners have to take responsibility to to work within those rules. I wouldn't be averse to the EFL having more power, but remember that a large portion of our fanbase resented them previously for "not letting Chansiri spend his own money" or sentiments to that effect.

Plus, how would it work once the EFL deemed an owner was no longer responsible? Would said owner be forced to sell the club, and if so to whom if he has  mismanaged it past the point of being an attractive purchase? Or would the running of the club be placed into a kind of stewardship to get it back on track? All of the above feels like a level of regulation/intervention that might turn potential owners away.

The same way it works with a company when a director is disqualified. They are the governing body to do nothing means they are effective pointless as a governing body.

12 hours ago, The Wall said:

Wouldn't work, you can't do a fit and proper person test when the guy is already £100m+ in.

Wage cap is a much better option. I'm sure Lionel Messi would still play football if he could only earn £20k a week.

That's what makes my blood boil when Perez is spouting off about "saving football" with his rounduns super league

The super league already exists is called the English Premier league, 23 clubs get far and greedy while the other 69 struggle to stay in business.

And should any of them heaven forbid get a good player one of the 23 slaps them down and buys the good players.

19 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I doubt they give 'em an IQ test...or question their knowledge of football....Just check if they can afford it....

The only thing I can think of they could do would be to ask for proof of a well thought out long term strategy and how it's to be implemented.

They could also bring in personnel fines levied directly at the owner for financial misgivings for deliberately braking or flaunting the rules rather than points deductions, I know this wouldn't impact the super rich, but might make the 10 Bob millionaires think twice. 

20 hours ago, vulva said:

Balderdash. What certain conditions? Pure fantasy.

Only a wage cap will sort football out. The game had a chance to re-set when ITV Digital went to the wall, and the game didn’t learn its lesson or regulate. Therefore, the crocodile tears following Covid is tough balls as far as I’m concerned. 

Yes  balderdash--What then if they fail fitness test,what will they do,dismiss owners,put club up for sale?put it into liquidation.

2 hours ago, pioowl said:

Yes  balderdash--What then if they fail fitness test,what will they do,dismiss owners,put club up for sale?put it into liquidation.

They have rules over here to force unsuitable owners out of the game and sell up. If you build it into the rules it can be done.

The state of the game is such that it should be done and the Government needs to take the lead because the FA et al will do nothing.

If it were a normal company in day to day business, the laws are already in place to stop people from being allowed to hold directorships etc. if they have been found irresponsible, negligent or criminal in the past. Those laws are there to protect the public, so why shouldn't that extend to Football to protect the public that supports the game?

Edited by Utah Owl

change.org have been in touch and said they are featuring this petition on their mailing list, they’ve also given my contact details out for journos, almost 500 signatories now thanks to everyone who’s signed.@Owlstalk Admin Team give us a bump to make this news story massive!

• Like 1