What happens after we’re liquidated?

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

It's not just that. 

Yes, we might be perceived as cheats and what have you, but those calling for points deductions, expulsions and so on are doing it  also to inflict damage on the competition. 

Football is a sordid, selfish business, very much dog eat dog and if there's any opportunity to stick it to or an eliminate a competitor then you can bet most clubs will be up for it. 

Nope.

Breaking the rules inflicts damage on the competition, that's why there are such things as rules.

If all clubs stuck within the rules, the competition would be better.   That's why all clubs start with 11 players, because that's what the rules say.  If one club started with 14 players, you can imagine others would think it unfair.

• Like 1

I would absolutely support a phoenix club. Why wouldn't I?

The Sheffield Wednesday of today has very little in common with the Sheffield Wednesday of the mid 80s when I started supporting them.

Same name, same ground, same history. That's about it.

But the club would still be the club if it changed its name... the club would still be the club if it changed its ground... the club would still be the club if it lost its history.

You don't give up on an elderly relative who gets Alzheimer's and loses their identity. Or maybe you do.

I'd probably enjoy watching a "Sheffield Wednesday" team in lower leagues and, ticket availability and travel opportunities permitting, would probably watch them more than I do now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Why would you be so nasty?

I don’t get it 

What a bizarre post that was. If he dosnt like them, he dosnt have to watch them. I love them, although I'm STILL waiting for the promised Page Hall Gimbal walk. 

• Love 1

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, Binky Griptite said:

The Sheffield Wednesday of today has very little in common with the Sheffield Wednesday of the mid 80s when I started supporting them.

But the club would still be the club if it changed its name... the club would still be the club if it changed its ground... the club would still be the club if it lost its history.

You don't give up on an elderly relative who gets Alzheimer's and loses their identity. Or maybe you do.

I'd probably enjoy watching a "Sheffield Wednesday" team in lower leagues and, ticket availability and travel opportunities permitting, would probably watch them more than I do now.

Not same entity either.

Would Probably keep an eye out for a phoenix club without being too involved maybe go to a couple of games when in town.

Would probably take more interest in another club local to me. Probably Salford as the tickets are affordable or maybe Altrincham as they are close by, Old Trafford is probably closest ground to me but don't want to me known as a glory hunter and would struggle to get tickets anyway.

Guest Andy W
18 hours ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

But we are such a massive club. Surely not.

Were big (debatable) are not now..that ship has sailed

6 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

The policing bill for the first home fixture liquidates the phoenix club. FC Wednesday PtII 2022 is formed.

Any phoenix club starring up in level 8/9 would be doing well getting 1,500, never mind 15,000. Couple of seasons of not getting promotion and when the novelty wears off, 150 attending.

Probably Bradford Park Avenue for me.

There's a certain level of ignorance here regarding other clubs that have reformed successfully. I don't know if we'd pull 15,000 any time soon, but I can guarantee you there would never be as few as 150. I think people would be surprised by how energising "proper" football, at the right price, going to different grounds with your mates, forging your own path as a club, with increased fan engagement, protecting the history and traditions you want to protect, would be to a lot of football fans.

There are posts on this forum every single day - and across football communities in general - about how people find the current game stale, or unappealing, or tiresome to follow, with complaints about pricing, money and the top end of the game has ruined the sport. There is an alternative. Having to look at those alternatives in our current circumstances obviously isn't ideal, but I think more than you think would get it and see the appeal.

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

I've said this before, but it depends on what people view as being "Sheffield Wednesday" to them.

Is it the physical stuff? The badge? The kits? The ground? Chansiri owns all of those. He changed the badge on a whim. He's changed the kits away from tradition on a whim. He owns the stadium and has plastered his name allover it. None of that belongs to you or me. 

Or is it the people? The spirit? The memories? The shared commitment? The Wednesday family. We all carry that with us. That's within me and you and everyone else on this forum. That can be rebuilt. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If we do get liquidated I can't see us being in the lower echelons of the football league for too long. I just cannot comprehend how a big club like ours is not an attractive investment proposition, we're one of the top 10 clubs in England and will shoot up the leagues in no time with the proper ownership structure in place

• Thanks 1

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, Manwë said:

Nope.

Breaking the rules inflicts damage on the competition, that's why there are such things as rules.

If all clubs stuck within the rules, the competition would be better.   That's why all clubs start with 11 players, because that's what the rules say.  If one club started with 14 players, you can imagine others would think it unfair.

Talking of rules, Sheffield 3 ltd accounts due 21 June.

Wonder if they paid any cash for stadium and what happens if not.

Likewise, if club paid them rent.

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Or is it the people? The spirit? The memories? The shared commitment? The Wednesday family. We all carry that with us. That's within me and you and everyone else on this forum. That can be rebuilt. 

That's what I wanted to say but you say it far more succinctly and eloquently that me

4 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Superb post mate. And I feel exactly the same.

1. Mandaric 

2. Dave Allen

3. Dejphon Chansiri

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

There's a certain level of ignorance here regarding other clubs that have reformed successfully. I don't know if we'd pull 15,000 any time soon, but I can guarantee you there would never be as few as 150. I think people would be surprised by how energising "proper" football, at the right price, going to different grounds with your mates, forging your own path as a club, with increased fan engagement, protecting the history and traditions you want to protect, would be to a lot of football fans.

There are posts on this forum every single day - and across football communities in general - about how people find the current game stale, or unappealing, or tiresome to follow, with complaints about pricing, money and the top end of the game has ruined the sport. There is an alternative. Having to look at those alternatives in our current circumstances obviously isn't ideal, but I think more than you think would get it and see the appeal.

I've said this before, but it depends on what people view as being "Sheffield Wednesday" to them.

Is it the physical stuff? The badge? The kits? The ground? Chansiri owns all of those. He changed the badge on a whim. He's changed the kits away from tradition on a whim. He owns the stadium and has plastered his name allover it. None of that belongs to you or me. 

Briiliant post, and couldn’t agree more. The game is a far cry from what it was in the early 90’s. I’d support Wednesday in any shape or form, regardless of what division we’re in, Phoenix club or not.

21 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

Part of the problem, this constant obsession about being a big club…

What does it matter? 

Answer… doesn’t matter one bit, end result will be pay the bills or go the same way as Macclesfield.

Aye

All the “Big club” epithet means is a big ( perceived)  fall 

Macc’ likely perceived themselves as ‘small’ but I’ve no doubt it hurt(s) like hell to their supporters irrespective of how many there are; what they’ve (not) won; when they were formed etc etc 

Lets not pretend that the (likely) demise of SWFC is any more catastrophic to than any other club 

• Like 2