Norwich City - Well run or lack ambition ?

Aston Villa have agreed a club-record deal worth an initial £33m for Norwich City midfielder Emiliano Buendia.

HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE COMMENT FROM UNDER THE ARTICLE 

Many comments are expected but show ignorance of the way Norwich City is run of necessity Our owners are less wealthy than many of those in League One. We are a self-financing club without debt. We survive by buying wisely, developing players and selling for profit. Ultimately that means we will survive and, hopefully, ultimately thrive. Very sad to see Emi go but time for new heroes. OTBC!

Norwich give up again. Another wasted year. Take the Premier League money and see you in the Championship in 22/23.

Oh dear Norwich. Not the best preparation for life back in the prem selling your best player.

1995/96 Nearly went out of business. Delia & Michael kindly have worked miracles since. Yes we go up & down... However we won't go for broke. Daniel & Stuart both were clear that Emi , Max , Todd et al may move on. The point is our future is secure! Never a dull moment for us North Folk. I am proud of the business model the club has chosen. Oh and who've thought selling a player at 30m! OTBC

Getting a good price and selling a player in his prime. They'll re invest a third of it or so into another good player yet to reach his peak and wont break their wage structure. 

Just wish we'd done the same with FF, Reach, Bannan, Lees and not bought Rhodes and we could be in their position now. 

They are the model for us, alongside WBA, rather then Brentford. 

• Like 4

It's the reality of their situation.

Ironically, the worst thing that might happen to them is a sustained period in the PL. Inevitably, that will see transfer fees and wages increase and then, if they do fall through the trapdoor again, they're saddled with huge expenditure and significantly reduced income.

Being well run and sustainable are the dreams of owners but probably not so much for fans if it’s at the expense of progress.

At some point you want to break out of the cycle of yo-yoing and establish yourself as a Premier League club again. If the likes of Palace and Burnley can then Norwich can do. Don’t know if selling your best players is the way to do that.

Norwich fans do moan. I know one. However, 5 promotions to the Prem in the last 16 years. 5. Bloody five. 

I would give my left nut to experience just 1 promotion to the prem with Wednesday. Its not happened in 31 years or whatever. They don't realise how good they have it. 

Definitely up there with Brentford. They have good footballing people running the club who make the correct decisions at the correct time

I was reading the other day that Brentford have sold well over £100m pounds of talent in the last 4 or 5 years while still being able to compete

Norwich were relegated from the Prem and Brentford lost the playoff final yet both stuck with their manager. No knee jerk reactions or pressing the panic button and both clubs have been rewarded

49 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Important to remember they are self funded...............................as for Buendia , apparently it was a "gentlemans agreement" last year that he could leave for the right fee now if he stayed and helped them back up.

Same with the other kid, Max Aarons I think? I read he will be leaving as he had an agreement with Norwich that'd he stay this season as long as he could leave if/when a transfer bid comes in for him. 

Shows the respect the players have for the club. 

Norwich City have apologised to supporters after confirming they have cancelled a controversial sponsorship deal with Asian gambling firm BK8.

The Canaries announced the multi-million pound deal on 7 June but were criticised when BK8's provocative marketing material was highlighted.

Norwich asked for the offensive material to be removed from BK8's platforms but then scrapped the deal.

"On this occasion, we got it wrong," said the club in a statement. 

"For that and any offence caused, the club apologises."

Chief operating officer Ben Kensell, who was pictured announcing the deal, added: "We place huge value on our open and honest relationships with our community and supporters.

"As a self-financed club there is always a fine balance between generating the revenue levels required to help maintain that model, whilst working within our visions and values.

"On this occasion, we made an error of judgement. Our standards were not at the level we demand of our football club."

On 06/06/2021 at 06:57, Kopparberg said:

Norwich give up again. Another wasted year. Take the Premier League money and see you in the Championship in 22/23

I'll tell you what. I'd rather we were a yo-yo club between the Premiership and Championship than one in freefall and spiralling into irrelevance. 

Norwich have adopted a system that keeps them sustainable without putting the club at risk financially, but still allows them to play at a high level.

A lot of clubs would swap positions,thats two stints in the prem and two championship titles in 4 years and the club has a really strong squad.They tried chucking money around to compete and it put them into heavy debt.theyve learned that lesson and are cutting their cloth accordingly.