Sheffield Wednesday players become free agents if not paid in full for TWO consecutive months

I suspect most will want to stick with it in these turbulent times, as they know they will likely get paid eventually, are on decent contracts, and there are no takers, even on a free, for most.

However, a few might have options to go elsewhere on a similar or better deal, probably our better players or young prospects coming through, so DC not paying them gives them that right to go for free. What a mess.

13 minutes ago, ToastFeatures said:

I’m confused this is a second thread iv seen where iv seen people say we’re criticising the chairman not the club, so am I right in thinking we’re not allowed to criticise the club ? 

we are crap though and entitled to opinion, our club is terrible and bad example of how not to run a business

I don't get these 'not criticising the club''  threads.

The club like any club or company is a construct. There is no actual thing called Sheffield Wednesday. Therefore you can't criticise something that doesn't exist.

You can criticise the actual stuff, like the Ground, the Chairmans decisions, the players etc.

32 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I know it's easier to pretend there is a massive conspiracy against the club rather than face up to the cold hard truth of the desperate state Chansiri has got the club into.

But it's past time to wake up now.

The Wednesday Football Club. Founded 1867.

Chansiri FC. Founded 2015.

30 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Most don't want to though - as reported by The Athletic yesterday.

This particular new still seems to be ignored by some. 

Why does it matter?

Most of them are still hoping they will eventually get paid and won't have to take the nuclear option.

That doesn't actually make the club's situation any different.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You simply do not know this

It was reported in the Athletic yesterday.

Are we only supposed to believe the negative stories or should we be praising the journalists for getting an insight into this? 

10 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Why does it matter?

Most of them are still hoping they will eventually get paid and won't have to take the nuclear option.

That doesn't actually make the club's situation any different.

The situation of the club is dire.

The fact that it has been reported by a credible source that many of the players are a little sympathetic and understanding of this issue is at least a small positive as it would not really have been that surprising to see many of them support a walk out at this time.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think (not any evidence) that players could legally walk away from Wednesday now but don't want to take such extreme actions straight away.

If they do stay and try and work with the club they are likely to get they full wages, if they walk out then good chance they may never see money owed.

Suspect that they will, as Neil implied above, already have asked their agents to line up a new club. They won't just  walk away to nothing. They'll get a move lined up then just go and there is nothing Wednesday can do about it.

Also suspect that it may be a fair amount of the reason for the loss of Shaw and Urghohide. I mean why would you stay somewhere that is unable/unwilling to pay what you are due when you can go somewhere else and probably make even more?

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire has explained the new rules that determine what happens if players aren't paid properly...

"Under the changes to FIFA rules which came into play from June 2018, if you're not paid in full for two consecutive months, you can deem yourself as a free agent and walk away from the club with no arbitration"

"The club will not be able to get a transfer fee for you. It is further embarrassment, Wednesday fans want to forget about last season, they had a points deduction which ultimately resulted in their relegation.

"If the players want to walk away, the club would still be subject to sanction by the Football Association, according to the FIFA website, potentially by the EFL as well.

"The EFL charged Macclesfield Town with regular failure to pay wages and that resulted in relegation out of the EFL and the disruption of the club as a whole.

"It's a very sad state of affairs."

I would have thought DC is desperately scratching down the back of the sofa by now.

It still beggars belief that it’s got to this, just shows he listens to no one, I bet this includes his family.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Ahhhhh

You're one of those people who think that criticism of the chairman is criticising the club

I see

Have a read of this - 

Ahhh, so your one of THOSE people who think it’s OK to slate one person but not another.

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby

My guess is those that wanna leave are players we could get fair fees for.

Another £5 million down toilet.

1 hour ago, Key said:

Slating of a local football club is OK though yeah?

:duntmatter:

I know Neil is quite passionate about the difference between owner(s) and the club they own and I agree with him in that regard. People aren't having a go at the club, but the owner. There is a massive difference.

Here's an analogy. Let's say I have a pop at Neil (@owlstalk) about a comment he made.  Would you say I am having a go at him personally, or at OwlsTalk as a whole? I'm sure you would say I am having a pop at him and the comment, not at the site in general. Well it's the same with DC and the club.

If someone is having a pop at DC, they are having a pop at him and him alone, not the club that he owns. The club is something we love and support and DC has turned that in to a clusterfvck. I'm not criticising the club by saying that, but the person - and this is loosly accurate - managing it. A club can't really be criticised, as it doesn't have the ability to make decisions, only the owner and management team does. They, and they only, can be criticised.

Another example, a player puts in a crap performance. He gets slated. Is that aimed at him, or the club?

I'm pretty sure you get my drift. I hope others do too.

• Like 2

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, pOWLtergeist said:

How many more teams in the football league have been reported as not paying their staff? 

Reported being the key word

1 hour ago, Key said:

Ahhh, so your one of THOSE people who think it’s OK to slate one person but not another.

I'm criticising the chairman yes - because of his HORRIFIC track record, the points deductions, the players who walked away for free, the transfer embargoes etc etc etc

I'm sure you agree he's a horrendous chairman that we need to get rid of ASAP?

Well guess what - and this will shock you a bit - saying the above is NOT criticising Sheffield Wednesday Football Club in any way, shape or form.
It simply isn't

I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you'd be confused about that

It really is very very simple

It's a criticism of the chairman and the way he has managed our club since taking over

It's not a criticism of the football club

At all

In any way

But just to clarify your stance on Chansiri - how do YOU think he's performed as our chairman since he took over and currently?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm criticising the chairman yes - because of his HORRIFIC track record, the points deductions, the players who walked away for free, the transfer embargoes etc etc etc

I'm sure you agree he's a horrendous chairman that we need to get rid of ASAP?

Well guess what - and this will shock you a bit - saying the above is NOT criticising Sheffield Wednesday Football Club in any way, shape or form.
It simply isn't

I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you'd be confused about that

It really is very very simple

It's a criticism of the chairman and the way he has managed our club since taking over

It's not a criticism of the football club

At all

In any way

But just to clarify your stance on Chansiri - how do YOU think he's performed as our chairman since he took over and currently?

Chansiri: It all went downhill pretty quickly.

Result: he gets slated on here on a daily basis; nobody gets told to pack it in.

Most local journo’s: Long history of not asking the tricky questions or digging out the real stories.
Result: they get slated on here on a fairly frequent basis; posters are told to pack it in or go elsewhere.

Spot the difference? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No - it just meant that if they wanted to and were able they could start the process of leaving the club

There's not going to be a big happy conga out of the club front doors FFS

You are missing the point mate,

the reason they haven't left is because even if they only get half of their normal wage it would still be 

twice as much as they could earn elsewhere, they aint daft.

Why leave when you can fleece a club and then move on.