Almost Half of Clubs in the Football league facing ruinous money troubles

(quote Sun YES i know...) of the 72 teams 33 showing financial difficulty last Month,up from 17 the previous Year...might explain why there hasnt been more pressure from either the EFL or PFA.....even the players now must realise there on a hiding to nothing....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

thought there would be more, would be interesting to get a break down to say how many in each league

Ive been puzzled personally why the EFL/PFA wernt all over the late/non payment of salarys,this explains it...unsurprisingly Football is in crisis..

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, parajack said:

(quote Sun YES i know...) of the 72 teams 33 showing financial difficulty last Month,up from 17 the previous Year...might explain why there hasnt been more pressure from either the EFL or PFA.....even the players now must realise there on a hiding to nothing....

I wonder what the figure is for business in general, I guess generally higher than pre-covid, but maybe now showing signs of recovery.

We saw weak businesses disappear in the 08/09 crash, and we've seen weak businesses already gone this time around.

Football clubs are generally weak businesses, they spend more than they bring in, despite being guaranteed thousands of fans for no effort unlike other businesses.  Hoping the EFL show lots of flexibility to allow Chansiri to invest tens of £millions in to the business.

54 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

If there ever was time to bring in a maximum wage rule this is the time 

Nothing will change tho

They tried that in league one and two....was it the PFA that got it overturned? That will come back and bite a good few of their members this summer I think

1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

Nothing will change tho

Clubs will 99% of the time find a way round it.

I think in other sports they have got players to do things like act as consultant at one of the directors companies and pay them thousands that way.

Or employ the players wife in the office on £10k per week.

And like FFP some clubs like SWFC will just ignore it.

1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

Nothing will change tho

No need to pay any footballer more than £3k per week, with bonuses based on personal and team targets.  That's a phenomenal package outside the world of football.  It all needs reining back in, otherwise (as OP says)....

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, parajack said:

Like me bet you only read it for the Problem Page.

• Haha 1

Yes, this is the fantastic and totally sustainable league structure that everybody celebrated "saving" after the European Super League debacle.

The idea that kicking the ESL to the curb has saved or protected football is laughable. Self congratulatory nonsense at the top of the game from those who would have been the least impacted anyway. Defeating the ESL proposals and celebrating it as some sort of victory has been like loosely throwing a life jacket over the edge of a boat, 25 yards away from a bloke still drowning and unable to swim to it. 

The ESL won't proceed and the fight to preserve the status quo of the English game has been won. Here's what preserving that status means; years of league tables littered with asterisks to denote points deductions, embargoes, 23 team divisions as clubs become unable to fulfil fixtures, more Bury's and Bolton's and Macclesfield's. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

No need to pay any footballer more than £3k per week, with bonuses based on personal and team targets.  That's a phenomenal package outside the world of football.  It all needs reining back in, otherwise (as OP says)....

100% agree with you. Sadly greed has utterly destroyed the fabric of the game.

• Love 1

give over.

the only problem in football is our chairman.

we are unique.

everything will be ok when he sells to a rich local businessperson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Exactly why EFL will not step in no help they can give. They know the game is broke and needs a total rethink.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Football clubs have been living outside they means for years some dangerously so, its nothing new.

20 years ago we were saying wages were too high and they would have to come down or at the very least level off.

In that time they have gone up to crazy levels. Some very average footballers have got very, very rich.

Think Covid has brought to a head a bit rather then being the problem.

Agree.....

15 minutes ago, Nero said:

give over.

the only problem in football is our chairman.

we are unique.

everything will be ok when he sells to a rich local businessperson.

Wonder if Jeff Bezos is interested? he has a depot in Sheffield,ile give him a bell later...Jeff? Para mate,yeah ime well,you? you fancy buying a Football club? Eh? 'whats Football'?? Soccer mate Soccer!!! ...Clubs name ? SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!..Uh? what do you mean no? 

Edited by parajack

16 minutes ago, parajack said:

Wonder if Jeff Bezos is interested? he has a depot in Sheffield,ile give him a bell later...Jeff? Para mate,yeah ime well,you? you fancy buying a Football club? Eh? 'whats Football'?? Soccer mate Soccer!!! ...Clubs name ? SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!..Uh? what do you mean no? 

He might turn us into the worlds first online virtual club where we only exist in order to allow a bunch of middle aged men to vent their spleen.

• Haha 2