Summer Cricket 2021

Friend sent me this on FB.

interestingly we were staying in the same hotel as the Indian team, on Saturday all their kit was in the foyer waiting for transport to the airport. Amazing how they managed to get a flight booked for them all at such short notice since they were not due to leave Tuesday!

Something fishy going on there!!!

On 10/09/2021 at 21:45, vulva said:

Just got back. Luckily my expense was all business related but a joke of a decision. Thousands walking around Piccadilly this morning. 

Cricket needs to be careful. It’s not cheap and events like today stick in the memory. As does coming off for bad light with floodlights on. As does far too many competitions with a bewildering calendar. Test Match cricket is by far and away the best format, and it’s getting sold down the river. 

I had tickets for the Saturday, had train ticket booked for £12 return which I wont lose any sleep over but felt so flat over the weekend after having tickets booked for over 18 months for Old Trafford.
No matter what anyone had said it was all about players wanting to make sue they were available for the IPL and the money on offer.
Felt like a bit of a watershed moment for cricket where T20 has become more important than Test cricket.

You are dead right about cricket has to be careful with incidents like this will chip away at peoples enthusiasm and good will at a time when Test Cricket is struggling in someways.

• Like 1

We should f*ck the Indian team off for a good few years. 
The IPL will ruin the game. I’ve never watched it and never will. No interest at all in watching a slogging competition made up of teams that no one actually supports. 

Edited by BIG D
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BIG D said:

We should f*ck the Indian team off for a good few years. 
The IPL will ruin the game. I’ve never watched it and never will. No interest at all in watching a slogging competition made up of teams that no one actually supports. 

Same with that 100 thing

• Like 3

Sadly I think cricket is going down the same road as football where it has sold its soul to making money short term.

County Championship will soon be reduced to 10 games I predict to fit in more T20 / 100 games.

IPL now more a priority than Test cricket.

On 14/09/2021 at 10:32, matthefish2002 said:

I had tickets for the Saturday, had train ticket booked for £12 return which I wont lose any sleep over but felt so flat over the weekend after having tickets booked for over 18 months for Old Trafford.
No matter what anyone had said it was all about players wanting to make sue they were available for the IPL and the money on offer.
Felt like a bit of a watershed moment for cricket where T20 has become more important than Test cricket.

You are dead right about cricket has to be careful with incidents like this will chip away at peoples enthusiasm and good will at a time when Test Cricket is struggling in someways.

Said on Talksport yesterday that within 3 hours of the test being called off 6 of the Indian test players were taking off in a private plane to Dubai.

59 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sadly I think cricket is going down the same road as football where it has sold its soul to making money short term.

County Championship will soon be reduced to 10 games I predict to fit in more T20 / 100 games.

IPL now more a priority than Test cricket.

We play too much Championship cricket really. Hopefully we go back to the two division system so the best players can play against each other in division one. Maximum of eight teams in the top division, maybe reduce it to six.

The quality has been noticeably down this year. 

20 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

We play too much Championship cricket really. Hopefully we go back to the two division system so the best players can play against each other in division one. Maximum of eight teams in the top division, maybe reduce it to six.

The quality has been noticeably down this year. 

Only play 14 games  a season now with most of the games in April, early May or September when more danger of being rain effected
Best part of season given over to T20 blast or 100.
Six in each league would only mean 5 home games a year so not worth anyone getting a county Membership.

I would go with 2 Divisions or have either T20 blast or 100 but not both. Cant stand T20 or 100 (yes a bit of a cricket snob I am afraid) but understand why they exist but to have two domestic short format comps is too much.

28 minutes ago, darra said:

Said on Talksport yesterday that within 3 hours of the test being called off 6 of the Indian test players were taking off in a private plane to Dubai.

Yes was a disgrace.

Feel it was a bit of a watershed moment in cricket where Tests was no longer the main priority of the game.

I think I'm remembering this right but didn't teams who toured here used to play county teams as warm up and in between tests?

I'm sure the Windies beat nearly every team back in the day.

Also, England used to play loads of warm up games when touring but now they just seem to start straight off with tests.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Only play 14 games  a season now with most of the games in April, early May or September when more danger of being rain effected
Best part of season given over to T20 blast or 100.
Six in each league would only mean 5 home games a year so not worth anyone getting a county Membership.

I would go with 2 Divisions or have either T20 blast or 100 but not both. Cant stand T20 or 100 (yes a bit of a cricket snob I am afraid) but understand why they exist but to have two domestic short format comps is too much.

But the reason for the counties is to provide players for England. County memberships dont keep these clubs alive, the short formats do and money that the ECB gets from Sky also does.

I dont mind T20's in moderation and the Hundred has been a great success in getting kids involved (my 5 & 8 year olds both loved watching the games on the BBC) so I completely understand their reasoning. There is WAY too much of the 20 over format going on around the world but it is where the money is. 

The county championship needs to be higher quality and less of a slog. It would also help if half the pitches didn't help 75 mph dobbers to get 50 wickets at 20 every year as well.

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I think I'm remembering this right but didn't teams who toured here used to play county teams as warm up and in between tests?

Also, England used to play loads of warm up games when touring but now they just seem to start straight off with tests.

This is partly down to the players who dont want the excessively long tours of the past. Ashes tours used to last for about 4 months with all the extra tour games and breaks from the Tests.

The other main reason is the home teams dont want the visitors getting a proper workout before the real games start. Our warm up games are often played against people with virtually no first class experience. Same with countries who tour in England. It's pathetic all round but it' the modern game.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I'ts all to do with money.
Instead of the Indian side spending 3-4 months in England playing county sides in between Tests they can have a tour for 2 months at most and play another International tour elsewhere or at home instead with the time saved.

They was a famous tour by the Australians in 1948 where they played 34 games (including Tests) for 28th April to the last game was on 18th September. Played some games in Scotland and some counties twice.
They didn't lose a game either.

29 minutes ago, BIG D said:

They did and I'm sure they were a nice little earner for the county teams. There used to be a week or two between tests as well. These days it's a couple of days.