Julian Borner on his way to Hannover 96?

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Do you know how much he gets paid?

I wouldn't have said he was one of the high earners so do we really know that is the case?

More than he got in the second tier of German football, Championship clubs probably pay as well or better than most teams in all of Europes top Leagues, excluding the two or three top teams. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I wouldn't have said he was one of the high earners so do we really know that is the case?

I do remember him saying that it was an offer he couldn't refuse when he came, so I suspect he had a significant increase in his wages. Probably much higher than the sort of players we are looking to recruit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I do remember him saying that it was an offer he couldn't refuse when he came, so I suspect he had a significant increase in his wages. Probably much higher than the sort of players we are looking to recruit.

That doesn't make him a high earner though does it.

He could have been on 1.5k a week in Germany and we gave him 3.5k it's a significant increase but it's not a massive wage

You don't think a league 1 player and agent would ask for more joining us, over say Doncaster or Accrington, if we're looking at League one quality players they'll be asking for more wages from us as we'll be the biggest club they'll play for.

12 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

When he joined us, he left a club he was captain of and reportedly went against a verbal agreement to stay saying the offer was too financially rewarding. So I'd assume he is on way more than the average earner in league one that if you consider the salary cap that was recently scrapped made the average earner to be about 3.5K. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He could have been on 1.5k a week in Germany and we gave him 3.5k it's a significant increase but it's not a massive wage

You don't think a league 1 player and agent would ask for more joining us, over say Doncaster or Accrington, if we're looking at League one quality players they'll be asking for more wages from us as we'll be the biggest club they'll play for.

I'm fairly certain he's not up rooting his family, leaving a club he's captain of to come here to be paid one seventh of the other starting centre back in Lees. If he's on any less than 9K i'd be shocked. Like I said I think you can replace in this league 3.5K-5K per position so anyone that is on more than that and isn't a star player at this level needs moving on, even our star players on many multiples of that need moving as the return on investment surely isn't there for them to earn 5X other teams best players salary.

• Like 3

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

Given the economic situation, players will be paid less now than when Borner signed two years ago. I believe his wages will be higher than you think. I recall at the time he had verbally agreed to stay with his old club but then reneged to join us because of the wages on offer. Of course we'll be paying more than most L1 clubs to get players but it won't be at that level IMO. 

If L1 players are demanding the sort of wages you are suggesting they'll be looking at Championship clubs in all probability not us.

• Thanks 1

Feels like the best move for both parties. Pretty sure it was intended that he would only be here for 3 seasons maximum. Obviously he's only done 2 seasons but I don't think Darren Moore was totally sold on him anyway. 

• Like 1

According to one website (google "Sheffield Wednesday Wages"), Borner is on £12k a week.  Just ahead of Dawson, but some way behind Van Aken.  If those are true figures that is.

He'll be another we are glad to see the back of, but will wish we still had a few games in to the season.  Likewise, many of our departees.

I can 100% guarantee, we will not be replacing him with anyone better.

Guest gizowl
39 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I like Borner and would be happy to see him stay.

But if there's interest and we can accrue a little bit of cash for him then it makes sense to let him go. 

CH isn't one of the positions I'm overly worried about if we're looking to trim expensive players 

The money for Borner wouldn't touch the sides of the debt we currently have with unpaid wages, season ticket refunds etc. If we bring a replacement in on a free you can bet it will be a step backwards. He's the only natural left sided centre back we have. We've got to try and keep most of our contracted players to have any chance of putting out a decent side in league one. Luongo because of his injury issues and Dunkley would be the two we could let go.

2 minutes ago, wmb said:

Feels like the best move for both parties. Pretty sure it was intended that he would only be here for 3 seasons maximum. Obviously he's only done 2 seasons but I don't think Darren Moore was totally sold on him anyway. 

If he wants to go, and it helps the financial situation, there is little point keeping an unhappy player.

Under normal circumstances we might demand a fee but if DM thinks he can be replaced cost effectively, I think it would be a reasonable step for all concerned. Indeed he might become a free agent anyway in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I'm fairly certain he's not up rooting his family, leaving a club he's captain of to come here to be paid one seventh of the other starting centre back in Lees. If he's on any less than 9K i'd be shocked. Like I said I think you can replace in this league 3.5K-5K per position so anyone that is on more than that and isn't a star player at this level needs moving on, even our star players on many multiples of that need moving as the return on investment surely isn't there for them to earn 5X other teams best players salary.

I don't think we'll replace him with anywhere near the same quality of player.

Which given the fact the players had relegation wage reduction clauses means letting him go might be a false economy

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gizowl said:

The money for Borner wouldn't touch the sides of the debt we currently have with unpaid wages, season ticket refunds etc. If we bring a replacement in on a free you can bet it will be a step backwards. He's the only natural left sided centre back we have. We've got to try and keep most of our contracted players to have any chance of putting out a decent side in league one. Luongo because of his injury issues and Dunkley would be the two we could let go.

I see it’s started already. Moaning about DC not selling/releasing players at the right time has lasted all of 1 week and now it’s flip flopped at the thought of losing crap like cement hips Borner and people saying we can’t lose any contracted players.

Unbelievable 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

I see it’s started already. Moaning about DC not selling/releasing players at the right time has lasted all of 1 week and now it’s flip flopped at the thought of losing crap like cement hips Borner and people saying we can’t lose any contracted players.

Unbelievable 

Not a fan of Borner eh?

I'm sure you're going to be delighted with his replacement

Paxo is no doubt on the case as we speak

Get ready...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I don't think we'll replace him with anywhere near the same quality of player.

Which given the fact the players had relegation wage reduction clauses means letting him go might be a false economy

Really?? I'd swa him for Reece Burke right now. Or if our budget says Urhoghide or Borner i'd keep Urhoghide. I like Borner but value for money there are far better options IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Really?? I'd swa him for Reece Burke right now. Or if our budget says Urhoghide or Borner i'd keep Urhoghide. I like Borner but value for money there are far better options IMO.

Reece Burke, really?

Do you think that's the sort of market we'll be shopping in? 🤣

Oh my sweet summer child

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Reece Burke, really?

Do you think that's the sort of market we'll be shopping in? 🤣

Oh my sweet summer child

Well we certainly wont be whilst we stockpile players that could do a job. There will be plenty of younger options available this summer if you have funds. Trouble is whilst we have 10 or so players left, they earn collectively more than most squads in this division. So it's a chicken and egg scenario. You cant sign decent players until you thin the herd of this mob. 

I like Borner, but him, Paterson, Wndass, Bannan are players that earn lots of money that others are willing to take and maybe even pay for. 

If we are to survive we likely need to sell 2-3 players and reduce the average salary considerably. 

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

ooooooh just realised - if the players DID walk away from the club they'd not be tied into a non-disclosure agreement so could easily tell us what's been going on

Highly unlikely if there's ongoing litigation/action being taken which could be the case given the situation. It would be nice to find stuff out though.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Well we certainly wont be whilst we stockpile players that could do a job. There will be plenty of younger options available this summer if you have funds. Trouble is whilst we have 10 or so players left, they earn collectively more than most squads in this division. So it's a chicken and egg scenario. You cant sign decent players until you thin the herd of this mob. 

I like Borner, but him, Paterson, Wndass, Bannan are players that earn lots of money that others are willing to take and maybe even pay for. 

If we are to survive we likely need to sell 2-3 players and reduce the average salary considerably. 

Mate, Reece Burke is a ridiculous suggestion, you might as well have gone the whole hog and said we could have replaced Borner with John Stones