Potential player walkout

As far as I understand it, players have to have 'just cause' to terminate their contracts. Non payment of wages can be 'just cause' but it’s not a simple matter of walking away if you don’t get your money on time. I suppose it all depends on how clever DC has been in the way he has gone about it. Or as some suggest, maybe he does want to force them to walk away. 

This is one explanation of Fifa rules :-

3.2. When the football player terminates the contract

If a football player unilaterally has terminated the contract, the essential question is whether the player can establish just cause for the termination. As just cause in such a case only can be established if the club has breached its contractual obligations, one must first consider whether the club has breached its contractual obligations, and, if that is the case, consider whether the club’s breach is significant enough to establish just cause.

The club’s most important contractual obligation towards the player is the payment of wages, and jurisprudence from DRC and CAS unsurprisingly show that missing or reduced payments of wages fully or partly are claimed by football players as a justification for the termination of the player’s contract. Although reduced or non-payment of wages normally will constitute a breach of the club’s contractual obligations, it must be considered on a case-to-case basis whether the missing payments are enough for a player to to terminate the contract with just cause. Minor delays and non-payments that are not significant seen in connection with the contractual value will normally not constitute just cause for termination. However, should the violation be considered material, persist for a long time or seen in relation with other violations, then the breach of the player’s contract might well reach such a level that the player is entitled to terminate the contract unilaterally.

To what extent late or reduced salary payments constitute a just cause for a player to terminate his contract has been assessed by DRC and CAS on a number of occasions. However, in 2018 FIFA adopted a new provision, art 14bis, in RSTP. The first paragraph of the provision states in brief that if a club is more than two months late with salary payments, then the player will be able to terminate the contract with just cause, provided he gives the club 15 days to pay outstanding wages. When FIFA introduced this new article, it published circular no. 1625, where the background for the new article was explained. The circular stated that the article “has been introduced in order to address the specific circumstance of terminating a contract due to overdue salaries”.

Guest wilyfox

At least now we should find out whether Chansiri is out of dosh or has the money and is playing silly beggars with the players. Now is the time with no games being played or points at stake. 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

I doubt this is his solution because it will just mean that we get a points deduction and have no players to start the season. Same as Bolton the other year. Doesn’t solve anything when the contracts are water tight and end up having to be paid anyway 

If he cared about what happens on the pitch he would’ve signed players in January, we wouldn’t have had 5-6 managers in one season and he wouldn’t have acted negligently to get us a points deduction. 

The contracts are water tight as far as the club and its assets owing them any unpaid wages. The club owes the players the money, not Chansiri. The, few, assets we have left would pay off the players. 

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

I agree. But what is happening is clearly his hare-brained solution to being skint. 

Nobodies saying it’s a grand plan. It’s just someone starving the club of funds knowing that nature will take its course. 

If he was bothered about selling players and recouping transfer fees he would’ve sold the likes of Forestieri and Reach years ago. The fact is the wages are his major expense and he’ll be looking at the quickest way of offloading that issue. What is happening now is the quickest way. 

Trouble is he's dragging the club through the mud (again), nobody in there right mind would join the club, based on this hair brained scheme.

On top of that he's essentially making my himself a complete pariah with the fanbase. (One that mostly wants blood).

This isn't intentional for me, remember we arnt even selling season tickets for next season (when others are).

That's now two massive red flags. Ships sinking and fast.

• Like 8

Just now, Maddogbob said:

Trouble is he's dragging the club through the mud (again), nobody in there right mind would join the club, based on this hair brained scheme.

On top of that he's essentially making my himself a complete pariah with the fanbase. (One that mostly wants blood).

This isn't intentional for me, remember we arnt even selling season tickets for next season (when others are).

That's now two massive red flags. Ships sinking and fast.

He lives on the other side of the world and had never heard of Sheffield Wednesday until our name landed on his desk one day. 

His world doesn’t stop turning if the club doesn’t survive the summer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If they don't get paid on time for a number on months then their contracts have already been breached, as @S36 OWLsaid, there may be EFL rules that allow them to be freed of their contracts in these kind of circumstances. 

But what about their Registration papers, Who own them?.

Player's cant go anywhere with out those.

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

I would imagine the registrations become null and void as a result of the contracts being breached.

For what’s it’s worth I was told a while ago, mid last season by someone I personally trust that Chansiri was fully considering Administration

I think we’ve all seen the many facts and explanations of why Admin makes no sense,  but if I was to put money on a scenario playing out from here on in , administration would be the one I think the owner will choose 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just refused to pay them because he doesn't feel like it.

I think he's that much of a helmet.

Remember he's just let a load of them go and also had Bannan sign a new deal.

• Like 5

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

They would become a free agent if the contracts aren’t honoured 

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

His world doesn’t stop turning if the club doesn’t survive the summer.

This, unfortunately, is very true 

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

De registered with club, when they are no longer employed by the club.

• Like 1

This just further highlights the weak losing mentality of the players. Threatening to walk out after one little bit of adversity is embarrassing they should be happy to play for the club and should do so for free if required.

• Love 1
  • Haha 6