Well done Brenford

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why is it? Explain to me how it works if everyone tries to buy young players cheaply and then tries to sell them all in their mid twenties, then reinvest the proceeds and repeat.

It works only whilst you’re the only club doing it

That's right, Brentford are the only club in the football league working to that model!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieB said:

FFP rules are crap, but they're the rules..... the bigger issue is our owner doesn't stick to the rules and got us relegated. 

Meanwhile Brentford stuck to the rules, had a clear strategy, stuck to it, and got promoted. 

Patience and a plan. Works wonders.

20 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Have to say I thought they would be found out eventually. Really hard to keep uncovering gems you can sell for big money season after season.

But they've done it,  proved me wrong and are now reaping the rewards. Fair play to them. I think all neutrals will be pleased to see them go up.

Even if you don’t uncover a gem such as Toney or Watkins who sell for big money you still have decent players who have years ahead of them to grow and you are willing to sell. You may not make huge profit every time but if not then you just reinvest and move onto the next one.

We bring in players who are over the hill and on their way down. If by some miracle somebody else is interested we refuse to let them leave. We also offer huge contracts to over the hill players that would be deemed not good enough by promotion chasing clubs and yet some people regard the Brentford model as unsustainable whilst at the same time hero worshipping our players and claiming they are amongst the best in the division. It’s a strange world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

Not what either one of us are saying. Personally, I have detested Chansiri’s conduct and wished him out for years.

It pretty much is. There isn’t much middle ground really as you either buy players and develop them and sell them on hopefully at a profit or you buy players that you deem to be the finished article in the knowledge that you won’t make a profit on them.
Obviously you both feel that buying players with a view to develop them and potentially make a profit on them is unsustainable for a football club. 

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

It pretty much is. There isn’t much middle ground really as you either buy players and develop them and sell them on hopefully at a profit or you buy players that you deem to be the finished article in the knowledge that you won’t make a profit on them.
Obviously you both feel that buying players with a view to develop them and potentially make a profit on them is unsustainable for a football club. 

I probably posted my remarks on the wrong thread on the wrong day.

Let me just say, with all sincerity, Well done Brentford! I wish my club followed your example. Like many supporters of many other clubs I am sure, I will be rooting for you to have a long, long stay in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

As an example, Brentford sold Watkins and buy Toney, who arguably has turned out better. But let’s say he was a flop, what happens then.

Remember when we sold Antonio and bought Stevie May.. this is what I mean. Looks great when it works, but this isn’t a sure win like some in this thread think it is.

Sustainability is repeatable. If you make some bad signings you can try again. This model means you buy bad players who nobody wants and you’re back to square one 

Yep, we should stick with our highly successful way of working. :duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is literally no chance the 'Brentford model' would ever work at Wednesday. No slight on them at all, but they're a small club with fans that are enjoying the ride and fairly happy. We're a bigger club, with a larger fanbase that has far more expectation. Literally 0 patience in our fanbase. Just imagine the chaos on here if we sold Bannan in 2016 for a relative no name from Exeter and Chansiri just turned around and said "trust me, he has a high xG", the elephants would be right in the Don.

Also interested in seeing how the model works in the Prem. Not convinced they'll splash out much in the summer, which might mean them going straight back down, but they have the potential to be a Norwich/Fulham style yo-yo club, which honestly, isn't that bad a deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one is denying brentfords success and fair play to them.

But, they are not quite the fairytale that people seem to paint.

Their chairman has put in over £100 million, a lot of that in loan's to get them.up. Yes I know blah blah blah that we are crap, but they haven't done it on the cheap as some seem to think.

Guest LondonOwl313
55 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Even if you don’t uncover a gem such as Toney or Watkins who sell for big money you still have decent players who have years ahead of them to grow and you are willing to sell. You may not make huge profit every time but if not then you just reinvest and move onto the next one.

We bring in players who are over the hill and on their way down. If by some miracle somebody else is interested we refuse to let them leave. We also offer huge contracts to over the hill players that would be deemed not good enough by promotion chasing clubs and yet some people regard the Brentford model as unsustainable whilst at the same time hero worshipping our players and claiming they are amongst the best in the division. It’s a strange world.

Couldn’t we have done a mix of the two. This will sound like hindsight but I was very happy with pretty much all the business we did from when DC came in until Wembley. After that, I think Fletcher was a good signing and filled a void in the team.

But the signings of Abdi/Jones/Boyd etc were so obviously unnecessary. We also should have sold FF as you don’t keep a player who doesn’t want to stay when there’s a big bid to be had. Would have also sold Reach when his stock was high as he’s one of those where you know that was going to be as good as it would get. 

The SWFC approach has just been to hold and hope. A wheeler dealer would have got more out of us, particularly given Chansiri must have known he had no funds to put in after that as well. 

Point is, there’s more than one way to operate and there are risks to different approaches as well. We’re basically run by an ostrich.. wouldn’t be hard to improve on it. But I don’t think it’s one or the other 

16 minutes ago, Dot said:

No one is denying brentfords success and fair play to them.

But, they are not quite the fairytale that people seem to paint.

Their chairman has put in over £100 million, a lot of that in loan's to get them.up. Yes I know blah blah blah that we are crap, but they haven't done it on the cheap as some seem to think.

Have a look at how many players they’ve sold for huge money.

Top of my head Maupay, Egan, Konsa, Watkins, Benrahama, Gray

There will be more. Incredibly impressive. They’ve spent money because they’ve sold and reinvested wisely. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

How much of that is money generated from player sales? 

none, the chairman has invested over 100 million in equity and loan notes.

he took a gamble that paid off.

you sell a player for 20 million, it's not paid up front its in installments. He's loaned the club money in advance of the future payments

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Have a look at how many players they’ve sold for huge money.

Top of my head Maupay, Egan, Konsa, Watkins, Benrahama, Gray

There will be more. Incredibly impressive. They’ve spent money because they’ve sold and reinvested wisely. 

Not even just the ones they’ve sold for huge money. The amount of £4m-£9m players they sell is a constant cash flow.

One of their average sales is equal to our club record sale.

• Like 2