Well done Brenford

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People keep missing the point.

He’s been a great success, and the club has deservedly gone up.

The point is that there’s no guarantees it would work.

Anything is better than how Chansiri has run SWFC

There's no bound-to-succeed model but Brentford have invested massively in investing in scouting and a clear strategy. .. and then they've executed the strategy incredibly well.

Our strategy has been inconsistent at best and of course,  the execution (scouting, contract management,  player sales approach, matching managerial appts to the players at the club) has been pisspoor. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

London has been making perfect sense in this thread. Not defending Chansiri, but pointing out correctly that the “Brentford model” requires that others don’t follow it. Brentford’s admirable achievement doesn’t suggest a repeatable path out of the train wreck that is the financial structure of the EFL.

Yeah you and Londonowl are right. We should just crack on as we are. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yeah you and Londonowl are right. We should just crack on as we are. 

Not what either one of us are saying. Personally, I have detested Chansiri’s conduct and wished him out for years.

Pleased for Brentford, moneyball can work but relies on a perfect set-up. As often bemoaned our main issue was never selling players at their peak. Gives you one or two attempts then doom. Brentford could have sold Toney and just gone again as many times as needed. 

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
23 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

London has been making perfect sense in this thread. Not defending Chansiri, but pointing out correctly that the “Brentford model” requires that others don’t follow it. Brentford’s admirable achievement doesn’t suggest a repeatable path out of the train wreck that is the financial structure of the EFL.

Have you watched Moneyball?

Red Sox copy Oakland and then win World Series for first time in 70 years, lifting curse of Bambini.

Like Brad, all you do is identify junior number cruncher at Bees, whose boss takes all credit, recruit him , pay Microsoft to renew Office , delegate and yer off.

Excel cud also sort refunds.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Fan owned and managed too.

Done while also spending £100 million on new stadium.

£20 million annual  profit recently.

All fans refunded.

It can be done.

They are not fan owned

Mathew Benhans owns the club 

12 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Have you watched Moneyball?

Red Sox copy Oakland and then win World Series for first time in 70 years, lifting curse of Bambini.

Like Brad, all you do is identify junior number cruncher at Bees, whose boss takes all credit, recruit him , pay Microsoft to renew Office , delegate and yer off.

Excel cud also sort refunds.

I was reading Bill James’ baseball abstract-the precursor to Moneyball-when it was a mimeograph sheet. I get it.

As an American who has intruded into a primarily English thread I am shy about suggesting that we do anything better here. It would be ridiculous for the citizen of a country in which Donald Trump is a leader rather than the inmate of a penal institution to suggest any particular quality to that country.

But one thing we seem to have figured out is a sustainable model for professional sports competitions. Partly, of course, this is because the American professional leagues haven’t emerged out of an older tradition of club competition that was somewhat different. But more essentially American sports leagues have mechanisms of revenue sharing and salary caps, signed off on by the players unions, that sustainably allow everyone to make money, and have a more level chance of success in a sporting sense.

The legal environment in Britain may be somewhat different, but the failure of British actors-the clubs, the footballers’ association, the regulators, and the lawmakers to figure out a sustainable model after decades of clear and growing dysfunction seems both an intellectual and a moral failure, treating supporters everywhere with real implicit contempt. This is the real issue. That the Wednesday have drawn an especially stupid and self-centered owner is unfortunate, but not the root cause of the problem, and lucking into a shrewd owner is not a replicable solution.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm getting flashbacks to all the people I've seen post on here, in response to me commenting about how Brentford are an ideal model to follow, that it doesn't do them any good as they're still in the same league as us. As if consistently finishing well above where you "should" do because of your size and building on solid foundations was a bad thing. 

Well now they're two leagues above us. It's really hard not to be a bit bitter.

Have to say I thought they would be found out eventually. Really hard to keep uncovering gems you can sell for big money season after season.

But they've done it,  proved me wrong and are now reaping the rewards. Fair play to them. I think all neutrals will be pleased to see them go up.

Guest Hornsby
2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

They are not fan owned

Mathew Benhans owns the club 

Whose he support since 12?

Would you swap Chansirisfor Lee Stafford, Tony Stewart, 

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Have to say I thought they would be found out eventually. Really hard to keep uncovering gems you can sell for big money season after season.

But they've done it,  proved me wrong and are now reaping the rewards. Fair play to them. I think all neutrals will be pleased to see them go up.

Can respect that... but you've also got to agree, if it does all go t*ts up, at the very least you wouldn't expect the bubble to pop in such a way it leads to a downward spiral, maybe more just a grim slump. 

What I wouldn't give for all that we're currently suffering to just be a grim slump. I really hope it is. 

• Like 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why is it? Explain to me how it works if everyone tries to buy young players cheaply and then tries to sell them all in their mid twenties, then reinvest the proceeds and repeat.

It works only whilst you’re the only club doing it

You’re trying to explain the economic principle of diminishing competitive advantage on Owlstalk. Can’t see it working out well for you :duntmatter:

OK, so the Brentford model is not guaranteed to succeed in that nor everyone adopting it will definitely get to the Premier league, but neither is it likely to see that team plummet to the brink.

But Chansiri's model however is absolutely guaranteed to keep failing and I'm pretty sure the message boards at other clubs aren't longing for their team to follow our club "strategy".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Very very jealous of them both on and off the pitch. They will be playing against some of the best teams and players in the world next season and we will be playing and probably losing to crap like Accrington, Shrewsbury and Plymouth. 

That’s a bit strong, to mention Plymouth there. Well run club with large potential fan base. Could imagine them doing a Brentford in the not too distant future if they attract additional investment. Fan base is certainly much larger. When refunds on season tickets were offered, I think it was 98% who declined to take their money back. Tells you what they think of their owner and club. Compare that to us at present. 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

You’re trying to explain the economic principle of diminishing competitive advantage on Owlstalk. Can’t see it working out well for you :duntmatter:

Well yeah.. I’ve been arguing if everyone does it then it wouldn’t work. But let’s make it more simple and say there were two clubs like Brentford, not even 24. Last summer they both sell their star players and want to reinvest in the next big thing.

There’s only one Ivan Toney in league one, his age, attributes and record was stand out. They would end up in a bidding war for him, or they’d end up taking a punt on someone else who was way less likely to be a success.

It wouldn’t take much for it to get competed away as an advantage. But it’s 100% a better way to run a club than doing what we did in 2016/17

1 hour ago, Joe Sunburn said:

Wish we had half the ambition the bees have.

Not about ambition - we have plenty of it..difference is Brentford are run properly which has enabled them to get to the Prem.

The fact we are now in L1 highlights the huge chasm in this regard between the two clubs.

• Like 1