Play off final

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I was there too that night but it was 2005 mate!

That's football, yes we should expect to have reached the PL before Brentford since that night but we have no divine right. Since then Leeds United and Leicester have had spells in the 3rd division, Leeds have only just managed to get it right, Leicester won the PL within 8 years of being in League One. 

Bolton played in the UEFA cup in 2008, by 2020 they were in the 4th division. 

We are the only historically big club to have been relegated to the third tier three times in the last 20 years. The level of mismanagement we have seen has let the supporters down on an enormous scale. I’ve genuinely no idea why so many still seem to put up with it. 

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I was there too that night but it was 2005 mate!

That's football, yes we should expect to have reached the PL before Brentford since that night but we have no divine right. Since then Leeds United and Leicester have had spells in the 3rd division, Leeds have only just managed to get it right, Leicester won the PL within 8 years of being in League One. 

Bolton played in the UEFA cup in 2008, by 2020 they were in the 4th division. 

But they all returned to triumph in much less time.

We are the only team now to be out in the wilderness for the longest time ....chansiri has just added to out long list of failures.

Sad times, I remember a time when Wednesday and Chelsea were neck and neck in the mid 80s...wow how times change 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

We are the only historically big club to have been relegated to the third tier three times in the last 20 years. The level of mismanagement we have seen has let the supporters down on an enormous scale. I’ve genuinely no idea why so many still seem to put up with it. 

Most fans would be up in arms but knowing some of our lot we will be singing chansiri name should be go on a run next season in division 3 against the likes on Cheltenham Town and other minnows.

Wednesday used to be a big club but not anymore.

• Like 1

Swansea are facing a testing summer after todays result, no 60M umbrella to shelter under, best strikers contract is up, top players like Grimes with only a year left and the manager is being admired by Palace, well and truly under the FFP cosh.

Couldnt happen to a nicer set of deluded fans

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

Most fans would be up in arms but knowing some of our lot we will be singing chansiri name should be go on a run next season in division 3 against the likes on Cheltenham Town and other minnows.

Wednesday used to be a big club but not anymore.

20 years of being ******** has totally destroyed the expectations and sense of self worth amongst our fan base. We are now essentially a pub league yo yo club, and yet large sections of our support seem fairly content with that and respond to any criticism of our disaster of an owner with “be careful what you wish for”. Totally sick of the lack of ambition whilst the likes of Brentford go a million miles ahead of us.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

We are the only team now to be out in the wilderness for the longest time ....chansiri has just added to out long list of failures.

Sad times, I remember a time when Wednesday and Chelsea were neck and neck in the mid 80s...wow how times change 

I think Forest have been outside the PL longer than us. But who would honestly bet on them not being back before us? 

We have been by far the worst run over a longer period of the historic fallen giants IMO 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Yeah, the fact we have managed the feat 3 times this century is a disgrace I agree. When it happened in 2003 it stemmed from the huge CoOp debts and when it happened again in 2010 those debts were still hanging over us and we couldn't get away from it.

When Mandaric bought the club the huge debts were wiped out and it should have been like a fresh start, relegation to the 3rd division should have been a thing of the past not to happen again in the foreseeable future from that point on. No club has a divine right to promotion or to avoid relegation but we should have been able to be in a position where relegation due to financial mismanagement wasn't an issue. 

I don't see in what sense that anything but a tiny minority are 'putting up with it' though. What should we do? 

10 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Maybe. It took Leeds 16 years and Administration to get back to the top flight. I'd still rather not be a club that cuts off its debts to local businesses in order to start again, even though plenty have done it, including Leicester and it seems quickly forgotten in the main. 

Sheffield United went from being a Premier League team to spending 6 seasons in division 3 under the same ownership.

Nottingham Forest finished 3rd in the Premier League in 1995, they've been out of it longer than us.

Ipswich played in Europe regularly in the 70's and early 80's, they've been out of the top flight nearly as long as we have. 

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, the fact we have managed the feat 3 times this century is a disgrace I agree. When it happened in 2003 it stemmed from the huge CoOp debts and when it happened again in 2010 those debts were still hanging over us and we couldn't get away from it.

When Mandaric bought the club the huge debts were wiped out and it should have been like a fresh start, relegation to the 3rd division should have been a thing of the past not to happen again in the foreseeable future from that point on. No club has a divine right to promotion or to avoid relegation but we should have been able to be in a position where relegation due to financial mismanagement wasn't an issue. 

I don't see in what sense that anything but a tiny minority are 'putting up with it' though. What should we do? 

Maybe. It took Leeds 16 years and Administration to get back to the top flight. I'd still rather not be a club that cuts off its debts to local businesses in order to start again, even though plenty have done it, including Leicester and it seems quickly forgotten in the main. 

Sheffield United went from being a Premier League team to spending 6 seasons in division 3 under the same ownership.

Nottingham Forest finished 3rd in the Premier League in 1995, they've been out of it longer than us.

Ipswich played in Europe regularly in the 70's and early 80's, they've been out of the top flight nearly as long as we have. 

I think we are a very docile fanbase. How many protests have there been against our shoddy owners in the last 20 years? 3? Man Utd have had that many in the last month! 

There is definitely more we could have done to put pressure on the people who have run this club abysmally for so long.

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

I think we are a very docile fanbase. How many protests have there been against our shoddy owners in the last 20 years? 3? Man Utd have had that many in the last month! 

There is definitely more we could have done to put pressure on the people who have run this club abysmally for so long.

Manchester United have arguably the biggest fan base in the world. How many high profile meaningful protests that have had any effect have they had before this season?

Some of their fans even formed a breakaway club, it didn't and hasn't made a jot of difference to how Man Utd operates. 

33 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He's a bit jacked...

Anyway, happy for the Tangerines.

Another club who were put through the wringer by garbage owners.

You soon start to realise just how many clubs in the football league have been run into the ground. How many more before we see proper reform? 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Manchester United have arguably the biggest fan base in the world. How many high profile meaningful protests that have had any effect have they had before this season?

Some of their fans even formed a breakaway club, it didn't and hasn't made a jot of difference to how Man Utd operates. 

Man Utd are different in that they are a highly lucrative cash cow and so the owners are going to be more combative. But at least their fans have shown some mark of resistance to what they view as someone trashing their club. To my mind we’ve had two one-off coordinated protests (black balloons and Time to Go) in 20 years. Our fans are awesome, but we are easily mugged off by terrible custodians. 

5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Man Utd are different in that they are a highly lucrative cash cow and so the owners are going to be more combative. But at least their fans have shown some mark of resistance to what they view as someone trashing their club. To my mind we’ve had two one-off coordinated protests (black balloons and Time to Go) in 20 years. Our fans are awesome, but we are easily mugged off by terrible custodians. 

You made the Man U comparison - their supporters have had no impact on the way the club is run in recent years.

We do get mugged off for sure at times but sadly so do many clubs. How many fan bases have taken definitive action that has had a positive effect and how long did it take? 

43 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You made the Man U comparison - their supporters have had no impact on the way the club is run in recent years.

We do get mugged off for sure at times but sadly so do many clubs. How many fan bases have taken definitive action that has had a positive effect and how long did it take? 

I made the point that MUFC fans have at least attempted to put pressure on their owners despite the perceived futility. I don’t buy that excuse at SWFC when we are losing cash hand over fist.

The answer to your question is very few. Blackpool is one example though, and they are now in a higher division than us.