Away goals to be scrapped?

I was actually thinking recently how having the ‘away goals’ rule makes it more exciting. 

And for me, another reason why the ESL wouldn’t have been interesting - as those games would be a standard 3 points for a win, with no backdrop of an away goal being of more importance  

9 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I was actually thinking recently how having the ‘away goals’ rule makes it more exciting. 

And for me, another reason why the ESL wouldn’t have been interesting - as those games would be a standard 3 points for a win, with no backdrop of an away goal being of more importance  

Why does it make it more exciting? It means teams can play for draws and win still 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why does it make it more exciting? It means teams can play for draws and win still 

I thought that was why they did it in the first place - to stop teams parking the bus away from home. 

Home team (pre pandemic) get the benefit of the fans - the away team gets the benefits of the away goal.... what is sexier than an away goal that counts as ‘more’ than a goal ? 

12 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I thought that was why they did it in the first place - to stop teams parking the bus away from home. 

Home team (pre pandemic) get the benefit of the fans - the away team gets the benefits of the away goal.... what is sexier than an away goal that counts as ‘more’ than a goal ? 

Why should an away goal count as more? Isn’t it better if the team that progresses actually wins rather than because they drew, but the away goal counted as more?

you wouldn’t like it if an away score draw got you more than one point in the league so I don’t get why we have that in Europe 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why should an away goal count as more? Isn’t it better if the team that progresses actually wins rather than because they drew, but the away goal counted as more?

you wouldn’t like it if an away score draw got you more than one point in the league so I don’t get why we have that in Europe 

Because it adds entertainment IMO.... you’re up against it going away from home.... getting a goal - even in a smash and grab is a real buzz.... (insert daydreaming here about Wednesday scoring at the Nou Camp) 

Also - they are two legged ties - so it saves on two dull 0-0 draw games that ends in penalties. That’s boring to me. 

You’re second point - that’s because it’s a KO tournament isn’t it not a League. 
That’s the point I guess.  
Different rules. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Because it adds entertainment IMO.... you’re up against it going away from home.... getting a goal - even in a smash and grab is a real buzz.... (insert daydreaming here about Wednesday scoring at the Nou Camp) 

Also - they are two legged ties - so it saves on two dull 0-0 draw games that ends in penalties. That’s boring to me. 

You’re second point - that’s because it’s a KO tournament isn’t it not a League. 
That’s the point I guess.  
Different rules. 

If you get the away goal you then only have to play for a draw. There is nothing more boring than playing for draws!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If you get the away goal you then only have to play for a draw. There is nothing more boring than playing for draws!

But an away goal damages the other team more than usual, the opposites know this and start throwing the kitchen sink at the other team.   It’s great ! 

Without away goals the lesser team would literally park the over both legs and (set out to) play for penalties. 

I always thought away goals became 'unfair' during extra time in the 2nd leg. The away team gets a big advantage. To that end I think they should have the away goals rule for the 90 minutes of both games but if it goes to extra time away goals don't count double any more. 

Interesting in the article it highlights 2 teams who suffered from it this season. Wonder if that's why they're scrapping em now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

But an away goal damages the other team more than usual, the opposites know this and start throwing the kitchen sink at the other team.   It’s great ! 

Without away goals the lesser team would literally park the over both legs and (set out to) play for penalties. 

Why would they park the bus over both legs? It’s the same difference now if they nick a goal they can park the bus. But they can therefore win on a draw rather than actually winning so I think the away goals is the more anti football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why would they park the bus over both legs? It’s the same difference now if they nick a goal they can park the bus. But they can therefore win on a draw rather than actually winning so I think the away goals is the more anti football

The lesser fancied team might park the bus over both legs if there were no away goals rule as they might see containing the better side as the best policy. The better side may approach the first leg more cautiously if they are away first and don't have the incentive of getting an away goal as they think they will win at home and don't have to worry about conceding an away goal and it counting double in the second leg.

I am a bit torn on this. I certainly agree with the above post about the rule becoming somewhat unfair if the tie goes to extra time in the second leg.

I do think we would probably have approached the Huddersfield semi-final somewhat differently if the away goals rule applied.

On 29/05/2021 at 16:37, Sova said:

If you don't have away goals, surely the home team in the second leg has a big advantage if it goes to extra time? They get 120 minutes at home, the opposition 90.

Same as FA cup and League Cup ties

Ridiculous rule in the first place. A goal is a goal regardless of where it’s scored.

Should we create a handicap system where a teams overlay home form is taken into consideration. Unbeaten in 2 years at home? Away goals count as 4!

I like it, and I don't.

I like it in the close, exciting games. You know when a team scores a late goal that would out them through, despite the game being in a draw score. 

Home team then throwing everything at it, to try get a goal to win the tie rather than see it out to ET.

But in most games it kind of kills the buzz.

Game is 4-2 on agg with 50 min to play, but 2 goals won't see the other team even draw the game. It's almost dead and buried and pointless game from then on.