BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday players REJECT Chansiri's attempts to furlough them

The sad fact is every club in the EFL is in debt. Unless you have an owner who has endless cash to throw away, no one has any income coming into the club. Of course we are badly run but it would be naive to think we are on our own. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If they aren't going to lose money and it would help the club's cashflow problems, why have the players rejected the idea?

They might even get paid quicker. All of this will not help recruitment either.

Chansiri says he’s minted so it’s all ok

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Well at least they'd be getting £2,500 a month with the rest to come. Don't see a problem claiming what's entitled if it helps the club.

Of course if your main aim is to make DC suffer then I can see why you would be against it, albeit at the expense of the club.

Dont have a problem with using available schemes many others will be doing the same. Its more concerning of where will future finance come from.

End of the day the players have rejected it so it ain’t happening 

Some might say that’s what you get for messing with people’s wages and then going cap in hand to them to help you out

Others might says it’s Karma 

Others may even suggest it’s a very clear indication of whether or not the players have any faith whatsoever in the chairman

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Dont have a problem with using available schemes many others will be doing the same. Its more concerning of where will future finance come from.

The furlough scheme was clearly not intended to help wealthy football club owners pay their players during the off season.

This culture of 'lets see what we can get away with' has to end.  It's already cost us a stadium and got us relegated.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

End of the day the players have rejected it so it ain’t happening 

Some might say that’s what you get for messing with people’s wages and then going cap in hand to them to help you out

Others might says it’s Karma 

Others may even suggest it’s a very clear indication of whether or not the players have any faith whatsoever in the chairman

No faith in the chairman whatsoever. Lack of clarity and info about how we are going to progress financially is a concern.  

No one knows so leaves s void for countless rumours. Its certainly a mess.

Im sure many of us have had bosses who have treat us with utmost respect, looked after us and our interests, made sure we were given a happy and positive environment that is set up for you to succeed

And as a result you would do anything to repay that boss with loyalty and going over and above the call of duty in return 

You just would

IF the boss had made sure the above happened as standard 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Of our few remaining decent players like Iorfa and Windass I would be seeking an exit from this basket case club.  

DC seems to be facilitating this by not paying wages on time.

If you were a player (and Wednesday was not your boyhood club) would you want to play for us if you were decent or instead play at a stable club which didn’t have this despot as owner?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Some of the fifteen players who were released - who spent months barred from training due to being furloughed - are now considering life outside football.

"Are managers at potential new clubs going to take a chance on someone who hasn't played for six months?" asked Wood.

"They've got mortgages and now they have to find a job in a pandemic. A lot of them have only known football.

"I would say to young footballers - 'Have a trade. Learn on your days off. Have a back-up."

Thats always been he way hasnt it,historically? remember using Alan Woodwards chippy walking home from Wisewood,with him frying the chips!!  sure it was whilst he was still playing,he played whilst 78?

17 hours ago, Guest Rodger said:

Modern "professionals" for you. 

You'd think these wealthy young men would be too ashamed to kick up a stink, in the face of cut costing et al thanks to us now having to compete at a lower level which thanks in no small part to their utter ineptitude and spineless showings... 

I feel sorry for DC here as he's clearly trying to do right by the club. 

We need this swap drained and DC is just the man to do it. 

ICWT. 

🤣🤣

Will people stop slagging DC off. He is Fit and Proper and has certified to Run a football club...regardless of wether that’s into the rocks or not! He is Fit and Proper and Don’t forget that.

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

The furlough scheme was clearly not intended to help wealthy football club owners pay their players during the off season.

This culture of 'lets see what we can get away with' has to end.  It's already cost us a stadium and got us relegated.

Many owners no matter how wealthy cant have a bottom less pit of money without any income coming into the game. There are many corporation's who have claimed from this scheme when they can afford not to. At the end of the day the government have imposed lockdowns so only rightly so they should have to fork out for businesses who no income coming in. 

• Like 1

This furlough stuff seems odd to me. The players aren't 'not working' they are on holiday.

"I'd like to take a week of my annual leave."

"That's fine, we will put you on furlough".

Surely that's not how it's supposed to work.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m just wondering before you start, not supporting the decision whatsoever 

I reckon the 7k pay they've been getting would be out of the window if they'd agreed to be furloughed, effectively meaning they'd be losing 4.5k over the 7k partial payment they're getting at the moment

Just my theory mind