BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday players REJECT Chansiri's attempts to furlough them

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

If you can't pay your existing players how on earth can you even think about signing new ones.......

You have to question if we are trading illegally.

We’ve been doing that for the last 20 of years.  It’s why we ended up in the high court in 2010.

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Because they'd only be entitled to 2500 a month in furlough payments and the rest would have to be topped up by the club.

Given that they've not been paid/fully paid since March, would you have faith in the club toppling them up?

Well at least they'd be getting £2,500 a month with the rest to come. Don't see a problem claiming what's entitled if it helps the club.

Of course if your main aim is to make DC suffer then I can see why you would be against it, albeit at the expense of the club.

10 hours ago, Nero said:

So did Chansiri suggest this? Or the new Chief Operating Officer?

You would think the new COO.

But obviously its Chansiri now micro managing stuff from Thailand on zoom because thats what fits the narrative.

Does it really matter who within the club suggested it? 

It has come from the club and I very much doubt this would be attempted without getting authority from the owner.

It is just another embarrassing episode. Why would anyone player have faith in receiving more than the £2,500 per month from the government any time soon if they signed up for this? They have reportedly been getting £7k of their pay on time, signing up to this may well end up with them getting less than that initially. 

The fact it can only be for 2 months and represents such a small fraction of the wage bill shows the desperation of the move.

I thought this was a wealthy owner who was simply restricted by spending rules within the game yet now when push has really come to shove the pockets seem empty. 

It's one thing after another and none of it paints a good picture. 

9 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

I was furloughed last year and had no say in it. 

You should have as that's the law. 

Though if you had refused the likely outcome may well have been unemployment. 

8 hours ago, parajack said:

Your missing the point mate,of course they are tax payers if on PAYE..thats not the issue,its not the players wanting furlough,its the Employer.!!still doesnt make it right,the whole point of being a football chairman and Club owner and agreeing these wages,is that you can afford to pay them.

HM Govt should not be baling out Football Clubs,to pay people 30 or 40 grand a week its not what its there for

I’m with you mate. Furlough isn’t meant for this. Was just trying to point out that if the players aren’t being paid because the business they work for can’t afford to pay them then they’re as entitled to dip into tax revenues as anyone else. Our shambles of a club is a different situation to when Liverpool thought about furlough because they were making £40m profit. 

12 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I’m with you mate. Furlough isn’t meant for this. Was just trying to point out that if the players aren’t being paid because the business they work for can’t afford to pay them then they’re as entitled to dip into tax revenues as anyone else. Our shambles of a club is a different situation to when Liverpool thought about furlough because they were making £40m profit. 

On paper mate in the last accounts so did we thanks to the ground sale....(remember the 'thank you dejpon Chansiri thread on here when it came out? massive w**kfest from some...) but yes i take your wider point,ime not being predantic,ime just weary now of this Club,under its current leadership....and fed up of my fellow fans loyalty being taken for granted..

1 minute ago, parajack said:

On paper mate in the last accounts so did we thanks to the ground sale....(remember the 'thank you dejpon Chansiri thread on here when it came out? massive w**kfest from some...) but yes i take your wider point,ime not being predantic,ime just weary now of this Club,under its current leadership....and fed up of my fellow fans loyalty being taken for granted..

Me too. It’s death by a thousand cuts. Every story, every statement, every rumour makes me feel less bothered and engaged. Just can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. A good preseason is needed but it’s more in hope than expectation. 

• Like 1

As I’ve posted elsewhere people mainly start doing desperate things when they are desperate. This whole situation absolutely stinks of desperation. The wheels have clearly fallen off. 
Looking back to Jan, when we didn’t sign a striker, even on loan, in an attempt to stay up I figured the money must have run out. Bizarrely, because of how awful the other clubs were we nearly fluked our way to staying up. But now we are down, the shît show has only just started. I expected every single saleable player to be gone by the end of the summer. We then will be playing with kids, players no one else wanted and cheap loanees. 
Our best hope is DC just gives up and sells at a gigantic loss.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, modboy said:

Maybe players don't feel comfortable with a billion pounds industry being propped up with tax payers money?

And maybe they don't 

Maybe they think the pandemic affects everyone but themselves 

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Well at least they'd be getting £2,500 a month with the rest to come. Don't see a problem claiming what's entitled if it helps the club.

Of course if your main aim is to make DC suffer then I can see why you would be against it, albeit at the expense of the club.

But what if that £2,500 is replacing the 7k they get from the club at the moment?

8 hours ago, reggae said:

EFL advises swfc and other clubs to put players on furlough. Max claim is £2.5k per player per month. 

Players are on a month off so not training. 

What is the fuss about ?

I think the fuss is about the players not believing that they will receive their Top Up payments due to recent history of the pay structure.

Me ! I don't care too much because I firmly believe there will always be a Sheffield Wednesday at some level or other that I will always support. 

Sod the friendlies at Sandygate lets have the real thing if needs must. Up The Owls !

13 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

How on earth are we going to recruit even a decent player for next season? I'd rather sign for Forest Green Rovers at the moment, and I'm not even being sarcastic. 

Massive difference. Forest Green

a) have a plan

b) own their own ground and are about to develop a brand new one

c) are solvent

d) pay their players on time

e) have an owner that cares about the club

f) have recently been in the play offs

g) will be passing us on their way up

so I would rather sign for them too

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I sort of understand why Wednesday and other clubs would want to do this, clearly they need help. But using tax payers money? Surely the football pyramid should help pay for for this. 

The premier league rewarded the bottom clubs with best part of 100 million quid, for being sh*t all season. Surely the top leagues can come up with a package to help clubs. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Me too. It’s death by a thousand cuts. Every story, every statement, every rumour makes me feel less bothered and engaged. Just can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. A good preseason is needed but it’s more in hope than expectation. 

I want the remaining players gone too represent nothing but failure,would only hang on to patterson,Windass,sell BB,nothing against barry,but he has been here too long and we could do with the fee for him.

I want both keepers gone....and i dont want to see any millionaires running around on that pitch,i want hungry,young up and coming players ,who want a Championship or PL 'gig' further down the line and want to impress....Players remaining to me have the drowning man syndrome...

They will reach out and grab  and bring down anyone close...attitude is hard thing to shift ...in any employment....most on here will have had experience of it....football is still a workplace....

• Like 1

Some of the fifteen players who were released - who spent months barred from training due to being furloughed - are now considering life outside football.

"Are managers at potential new clubs going to take a chance on someone who hasn't played for six months?" asked Wood.

"They've got mortgages and now they have to find a job in a pandemic. A lot of them have only known football.

"I would say to young footballers - 'Have a trade. Learn on your days off. Have a back-up."

Owlstalk Shop