BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday players REJECT Chansiri's attempts to furlough them

42 minutes ago, reggae said:

EFL advises swfc and other clubs to put players on furlough. Max claim is £2.5k per player per month. 

Players are on a month off so not training. 

What is the fuss about ?

Surely the question is a moral one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just trying to make sense of this, and two things stand out that seem to be getting lost.

1. Joe Cram ( I think it was ) said a number of clubs had been in discussions about this.

2. Can the players refuse to accept this?

These are facts that can be confirmed or denied, i would guess.

If we, as one of a number of clubs discussing it, are considering it, wouldn’t it be the right thing to do to have a conversation with the players / PFA at an early stage to gauge their views?

so for me there are two explanations; conversations have taken place between the EFL, clubs government and players to explore the possibilities.

or, we or rather chansiri are completely screwed, in which case we will be admin very shortly and chansiri will be gone.

20 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Just trying to make sense of this, and two things stand out that seem to be getting lost.

1. Joe Cram ( I think it was ) said a number of clubs had been in discussions about this.

If we, as one of a number of clubs discussing it, are considering it, wouldn’t it be the right thing to do to have a conversation with the players / PFA at an early stage to gauge their views?

so for me there are two explanations; conversations have taken place between the EFL, clubs government and players to explore the possibilities.

or, we or rather chansiri are completely screwed, in which case we will be admin very shortly and chansiri will be gone.

In a non ideal way

can I go for option 2?

Get rid, struggle but be free!!!??

5 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Imagine having to find a quarter of a million pounds just to pay Westwood and Rhodes for the next MONTH..having seen Rhodes happily pose wi5h his udders shirt havin signed a 3 year deal...and Westwood could even trouser another 3 weeks wages (75k) in July if he dosnt get fixed up...

Unfortunately that’s football; and you need to plan for it. 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

ha ha ha ha FUUUUUCK ME

"Hey mate your house is on fire"
"Hey mate your house - it's on fire"
"Look mate - look at your house it's on fire and burning to the ground"

*Bloke ignores the warnings and says the nosey neighbour has an agenda against him*

*House burns to the ground*

You missed out then blames neighbour for not helping!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

If the latter, I'd take it and then we can start to rebuild.

5 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

To be fair though maybe we could have afforded them more if we were able to get crowds in and get income...  But seeing as we havent been able to do that, the government furlough was to help companies (Yes SWFC is a company) that have had their income affected by the pandemic.

I dont see how this is a story, SWFC is the employer if they want to put people on furlough and it is allowed just like every other employee that has had to go on furlough and had not choice but these over paid useless players think they are better than that, better than the rest of us....  After the season they have just played they should be hanging their heads in shame.

Afforded more if crowds were allowed in?? who was it said the fans money pays for nothing?? Of course i know SWFC is a 'Company'  but Furlough to protect Employee's jobs where super rich owners are involved?? and millionaire footballers?Its not what furlough was intended for...hence the Govt cap on 2,500 pounds a Month  and for those who say Chairman isnt 'rich' its about scale isnt it?..

if he is skint,or has cash flow issues, tax payer money shouldn't be used to bail out the Club,end of...any more than it has been for 'Steel' where there are issues about how Local steel firms are allegedly being financed under the Greensill capital

Lets not forget how many millions either were never placed on furlough but lost their jobs straight away,or subsequently.....imagine seeing very well paid footballers being 'feather bedded' whilst steel workers have been refused help in Sheffield & Rotherham....How would that ever be right?  even if it was legal?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, heppers said:

As an employee can you choose not to be furloughed?

It's a good question and certainly not my experience.

Players are unionised, whereas many workers in other industries are not.  The furlough scheme was levelled at around the average wage in this country iirc, while many footballers clearly earn much more (some less) so the difference for an average worker may just be the 20%, wheras for a footballer, it could be a significant drop in income.

Either way, players have power, more so than ever.

Edited by Manwë

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

And there are STILL fans trying to convince us the club's not in any peril under this Chairman

I've been convinced we were in peril since 2017, and yet DC still had his chances to turn it around.

DC was always quite clear. He only ever had one plan. Promotion within three years.

53% of us still live in hope he's going to some how turn this around, but it's hope, not beleif and certainly not certainty. And I can't speak for everyone, but I still think he's got to be given the chance to unravel this mess, because of the money he's invested (Wisely or Not) into the club.

In all honesty I don't fancy his chances, or our chances, with our without him, either. And so we head into the bright lights of League One and it's beginning to look like a very long way back from this mess...

In my opinion, for those external to the club who think they can run the club better than DC, AFC Wednesday maybe the quickest route back to any sort of successfull football club in blue and white stripes. There's every chance the current Sheffield Wednesday are heading for None League as it stands.

Remember the last financial debacle only ended with the HMRC taking the club to the high court over un paid taxes, and Football saw fit to deliver MM to us, who was probably dealing with the high court himself at the time.

It's only an opinion, and I hope I'm wrong, in many respects.

2 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

aside of players probably wanting to stay fit they aren’t required to work, so means no training. 

They’ll probably want to stay fit for their next club. 

I’m still guessing that it’s the none retained list that will have been offered this.

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

It's a good question and certainly not my experience.

Players are unionised, whereas many workers in other industries are not.  The furlough scheme was levelled at around the average wage in this country iirc, while many footballers clearly earn much more (some less) so the difference for an average worker may just be the 20%, wheras for a footballer, it could be a significant drop in income.

Either way, players have power, more so than ever.

Shouldn't be any drop in income as owner has to top up wages.

24 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If they aren't going to lose money and it would help the club's cashflow problems, why have the players rejected the idea?

They might even get paid quicker. All of this will not help recruitment either.

Because they'd only be entitled to 2500 a month in furlough payments and the rest would have to be topped up by the club.

Given that they've not been paid/fully paid since March, would you have faith in the club toppling them up?