The Huddersfield Penalty Shootout

13 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Fletcher was injured - yet people still go on about it being the wrong decision to sub him.

I don't think Rhodes bottling taking one actually made any difference to the outcome whatsoever.

Hutch would have always gone up for the first one because that's just the sort of guy he was, unfortunately his miss put the pressure on us and handed Hudds the advantage from the very first kick. Forestieri was the regular pen taker and rather than take the first he wanted the chance to be the hero with the fifth penalty. So Rhodes if he'd taken one would have been one of the middle three which were all converted anyway. 

Fletcher is always injured and hobbling. He’s said he could have stayed on but we had a fit 10m striker on bench so Carlos probably felt he had to make that change.

Fletcher hobbling around at 60% of his ability that season is better than Rhodes. So he should have stayed on. Even from a mentality perspective. Gave them a lift seeing Fletcher go off and the fairy come on and consequently  our heads dropped too. 

8 hours ago, agentwalker said:

I think it's about time we let this one go. Next well be bringing up the di canio episode with the ref, then the incompetence of Wilson.

Move on and talk about the poo were in now :Chansiri:

thik you should take that comment back WILSON was brilliant at united

Do I think that FF, a player who effectively went on strike to get a better contract, missed a penalty on purpose, that would have seen him probably get further increased wages and a massive bonus due to promotion?

No, no I don't

6 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Do I think that FF, a player who effectively went on strike to get a better contract, missed a penalty on purpose, that would have seen him probably get further increased wages and a massive bonus due to promotion?

No, no I don't

It depends how deep his dislike for the club/DC had got, we still needed to win a final to get there.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

It depends how deep his dislike for the club/DC had got, we still needed to win a final to get there.

I mean come on.. Im sure his dislike of the man who set him up for life financially and made him a millionaire can’t have been greater than his desire to play premier league football and earn even more millions doing so

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

I can honestly say the idea that FF in some way deliberately missed his pen to get back at the club is something I have never ever considered. Obviously I can’t prove it but I would say it’s absolutely not the case that that’s what went on. I was stood directly parallel with the goal at that game (on the south). FF looked a bit nervous as he put the ball down and if anything concentrated too hard on ensuring the ball went on target. Maybe that helped the keeper guess the direction. Maybe it was luck. He kicked it pretty well but it was at a saveable height. There was no benefit whatsoever for him to not score. If he was really wanting to get one over DC or CC by missing a pen he would have skied it or struck it with less power. It also would be the most bizarre revenge scheme ever put in place. A fun thread for fans of obscure theories, but all in all we didn’t go through because tactically we got the whole approach to the two legs wrong. 

Guest Therealrealist
4 hours ago, Guesswhosback said:

Rhodes should of never played for us again after that. 

I dont think he ever did tbh

Guest Therealrealist
8 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Everyone seemed reasonably happy with getting a draw at Huddersfield at the time.  The classic don't lose away and bring them back home..

You might have been..most of us thought it was pathetic...never testing their rookie keeper...you allways seem pleased with everything wednesday do

13 hours ago, toppOwl said:

After drawing the two legged play off semi we went into a penalty shootout in a game we could have won but for CC's dreadful first leg tactics - Rhodes controversially doesn't offer to take one, after a bad start with a Hutchinson miss we have a chance to regain control when Payne misses Hudders 5th, then up steps "star" player Forestieri.........................

With hindsight we now know that FF absolutely took the pee out of the club after the Norwich episode and I thought this for a fleeting few seconds at the time but does anyone else think the little shyster may not have actually put a lot of effort into that poor penalty that lost us the game????

No, but it wasnt a good penalty

We all need to stop looking backwards on past events. It's a bit pathetic really. 

Right now we need to look forward to an exciting league one campaign next season and being back in the stadium jumping up and down singing a song about a match we won in 1979...

So many posts about discussing the past...when there are threads currently in matchday about the 91 cup final, Carlos, Gary Madine, Maguire and McGeady

But yeah, lets only talk about the present including the actions that got us here in the first place.

19 hours ago, toppOwl said:

After drawing the two legged play off semi we went into a penalty shootout in a game we could have won but for CC's dreadful first leg tactics - Rhodes controversially doesn't offer to take one, after a bad start with a Hutchinson miss we have a chance to regain control when Payne misses Hudders 5th, then up steps "star" player Forestieri.........................

With hindsight we now know that FF absolutely took the pee out of the club after the Norwich episode and I thought this for a fleeting few seconds at the time but does anyone else think the little shyster may not have actually put a lot of effort into that poor penalty that lost us the game????

It was 5 years ago man. Get over it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Knowing Forestieri's history with Huddersfield I flat out refuse to believe he wouldn't want to score against them.

It's not like missing it, sorry, having his penalty saved did him any favours did it?

I'd suggest letting it go and looking ahead to next season.

How dare you offer an insightful and factual opinion on Owlstalk! 

The biggest thing that haunts me from that game is the ridiculous tactics and style of play Carlos turned to in his last 6 months...

Insisting on playing 3 CM’s in a 442 with a huge reliance on an haggard Ross Wallace (who unluckily went off injured early on) and being content to pass it round the back for 120 minutes and invite pressure was never getting us a win. Even so, with that team we still should of won....Fessi, Bannan, Lee, Rhodes, Fletcher all needed big games and they all hid...nobody wanted to be the hero. Especially not record signing Rhodes. How things could have been different if we had a fit Gary Hooper & Ross Wallace! 

The standard of teams in the playoffs that year were so poor Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham. Even favourites Fulham were embarrassed by Reading in the semis and eventual winners Huddersfield went on to finish 20th in PL only winning 2? Games all season. 

Even the Huddersfield chairman said they couldn't believe how negative we were in the first leg because player for player we were far better then them. Ive said it on here before but it was purely CCs obsession with tactics. Someone in the game once told me he would rather win 1 -0 provided the tactical plan worked than send them out to play and win 3-0 because that then wouldn't be down to him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

How dare you offer an insightful and factual opinion on Owlstalk! 

The biggest thing that haunts me from that game is the ridiculous tactics and style of play Carlos turned to in his last 6 months...

Insisting on playing 3 CM’s in a 442 with a huge reliance on an haggard Ross Wallace (who unluckily went off injured early on) and being content to pass it round the back for 120 minutes and invite pressure was never getting us a win. Even so, with that team we still should of won....Fessi, Bannan, Lee, Rhodes, Fletcher all needed big games and they all hid...nobody wanted to be the hero. Especially not record signing Rhodes. How things could have been different if we had a fit Gary Hooper & Ross Wallace! 

The standard of teams in the playoffs that year were so poor Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham. Even favourites Fulham were embarrassed by Reading in the semis and eventual winners Huddersfield went on to finish 20th in PL only winning 2? Games all season. 

Gary Hooper plays, we get to Wembley, simple.

Daniel Pudil, Glenn Loovens or Tom Lees clear the ball for their goal, we get to Wembley, simple.

Tin hat firmly on but I actually think if we'd replaced Fletcher with Nuhiu and not Rhodes we probably win the game as Nuhiu would have been better to hold the ball up and allow the likes of Forestieri and Bannan to join an attack. Huddersfield threw on their big man before we did and it cost us.

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I can honestly say the idea that FF in some way deliberately missed his pen to get back at the club is something I have never ever considered. Obviously I can’t prove it ......... 

i can ....... if you want to miss a penalty you miss the target , he didnt the keeper saved it .

• Like 2