The Huddersfield Penalty Shootout

1 minute ago, should know better said:

If Tom Lees had not put the ball in his own net we would not have needed pens, did Huddersfield score from open play apart from that in the play offs.

If we had gone to the final though Carlos would have played for a draw and we would probably have lost the final on pens.

If only Carlos hadn't turned negative after Hull and Boro had success with less stylish football. Carlos also got Swansea into a position to stay up and then went defensive and blew it too. 

Completely unforgiveable what Carlos turned us up like at Huddersfield - ridiculous anti football. 

Given the squad vs theirs, he should've been kicked out the club at the end of the year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I really dont like Forestieri and found the arse licking of him by some fans after he went AWOL nauseating.

But even I don't think he missed the pen on purpose, was probably due a big bonus in his contract for promotion for starters.

100%. On his new contract, Hutchinson basically admitted in an interview they all had promotion wage increases in contracts...

Hed have been playing in the prem with us as he was our (one of) top players, so madness for anyone to suggest he’d miss on purpose 

2 minutes ago, Guesswhosback said:

Rhodes should of never played for us again after that. 

He was 6th penalty taker for Huddersfield when they got promoted in the season he scored 30+ goals.

Shouldnt be a surprise to us he didn’t take one as he’d done it before.

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Everyone seemed reasonably happy with getting a draw at Huddersfield at the time.  The classic don't lose away and bring them back home..

Not at all mate.......................that first leg performance was the crux of it all.

We were playing a team we had the wood over with a wet behind the ears keeper ........................and Carlos set us up like we were Ilkeston Town taking on Bayern Munich.

I am convinced that the fear we showed in that first leg bouyed Huddersfield for the 2nd leg...........they looked sharper, fitter and more confident than we did all night.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Guesswhosback said:

Rhodes should of never played for us again after that. 

Why? If he wasn't confident about taking a penalty and was big enough to say so then I don't have an issue with that. All pundits, ex-pros, managers, coaches all say the same thing as well. 

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Not at all mate.......................that first leg performance was the crux of it all.

We were playing a team we had the wood over with a wet behind the ears keeper ........................and Carlos set us up like we were Ilkeston Town taking on Bayern Munich.

I am convinced that the fear we showed in that first leg bouyed Huddersfield for the 2nd leg...........they looked sharper, fitter and more confident than we did all night.

Whenever we got over the half way line we turned the play round and played within our own half. Kieran Lee was rushed back and it nearly crippled him. I could go on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Whenever we got over the half way line we turned the play round and played within our own half. Kieran Lee was rushed back and it nearly crippled him. I could go on

Same with Forestieri. Rushed him back after 8 weeks out and was having an ACL operation 3 months later. 

Still maintain, Hooper tearing his hamstring before it killed our game plan and our chances. 

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

Same with Forestieri. Rushed him back after 8 weeks out and was having an ACL operation 3 months later. 

Still maintain, Hooper tearing his hamstring before it killed our game plan and our chances. 

CC had lost the plot tactically plain and simple and his training regime or distinct lack of it has been highlighted by a number of ex players

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

CC had lost the plot tactically plain and simple and his training regime or distinct lack of it has been highlighted by a number of ex players

Depends what you mean by training regime. It’s well known his style of coaching is based around tactics and therefore players who aren’t playing regularly struggle fitness wise. Very much focuses on the core group which when injuries strike kind of knackers you. But it’s working well at braga

We were on a poor run. Then when Hooper returned we won 6/6 and got into the play offs. 

We then failed to win after that. 

I still blame Chansiris recruitment for not getting anyone who could play Hoopers role as back up. He bought Rhodes and CC tried to convert him, but he wasn’t ever going to be able to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Depends what you mean by training regime. It’s well known his style of coaching is based around tactics and therefore players who aren’t playing regularly struggle fitness wise. Very much focuses on the core group which when injuries strike kind of knackers you. But it’s working well at braga

We were on a poor run. Then when Hooper returned we won 6/6 and got into the play offs. 

We then failed to win after that. 

I still blame Chansiris recruitment for not getting anyone who could play Hoopers role as back up. He bought Rhodes and CC tried to convert him, but he wasn’t ever going to be able to.

Training regime which has to maintain and raise fitness standards - we did a jolly boys outing to Portugal for 2 pre-seasons and wondered why our players were knackered after 30 minutes or started slow

Edited by soldierboyblue
  • Like 1

Rhodes not taking a pen sums up the mentality of the type of players we have been signing. FF may have missed his pen but he stepped up to be counted for, despite being rusty having only just come back from injury. If you look at the players who took the pens they are all players you would say have a good mentality and will to win. 

Had Reach gone off or was he like Rhodes shaking like a s**ting dog on the halfway life.

Wallace and Fletcher going off cost us as both have the right mentalities to win and would have taken one. You do wonder wether Carlos should have just left Fletcher on that day. He is better on one leg and can impact a game more from one leg than Rhodes. 

Anyway, the point is it’s about characters and mentality. Whenever this club has had any sort of success, it’s had a team of characters. 

Players like Rhodes, Reach and majority of signings post Wembley have the heart of a shrimp.

FF may have missed but at least he had the bottle to step up as a striker rather than bottle it and let Sam Hutchinson have to step up. Again a player with the right mentality. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Training regime which has to maintain and raise fitness standards - we did a jolly boys outing to Portugal for 2 pre-seasons and wondered why our players were knackered after 30 minutes or started slow

Sheff United went to Portugal the preseason they started in the prem, that didn’t work out too bad 

5 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Rhodes not taking a pen sums up the mentality of the type of players we have been signing. FF may have missed his pen but he stepped up to be counted for, despite being rusty having only just come back from injury. If you look at the players who took the pens they are all players you would say have a good mentality and will to win. 

Had Reach gone off or was he like Rhodes shaking like a s**ting dog on the halfway life.

Wallace and Fletcher going off cost us as both have the right mentalities to win and would have taken one. You do wonder wether Carlos should have just left Fletcher on that day. He is better on one leg and can impact a game more from one leg than Rhodes. 

Anyway, the point is it’s about characters and mentality. Whenever this club has had any sort of success, it’s had a team of characters. 

Players like Rhodes, Reach and majority of signings post Wembley have the heart of a shrimp.

FF may have missed but at least he had the bottle to step up as a striker rather than bottle it and let Sam Hutchinson have to step up. Again a player with the right mentality. 

Yep bang on. Fletcher going off in that game killed us and can’t fault anyone who stepped up. 

Keiran Lee and Jack Hunt having the bottle to step up as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

They had a manager who got his players to work we had one who used to allow them to take the ******** out of him. I'll say no more

I’d say that reflects equally badly on the players who had that attitude in that case.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

I’d say that reflects equally badly on the players who had that attitude in that case.

Oh I'll not disagree however if you are the manager/head coach then the book stops with you and you have to instill discipline I'm afraid otherwise you get no respect and when you need to get in the trenches they just won't

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Fletcher was injured - yet people still go on about it being the wrong decision to sub him.

I don't think Rhodes bottling taking one actually made any difference to the outcome whatsoever.

Hutch would have always gone up for the first one because that's just the sort of guy he was, unfortunately his miss put the pressure on us and handed Hudds the advantage from the very first kick. Forestieri was the regular pen taker and rather than take the first he wanted the chance to be the hero with the fifth penalty. So Rhodes if he'd taken one would have been one of the middle three which were all converted anyway.