The Huddersfield Penalty Shootout

After drawing the two legged play off semi we went into a penalty shootout in a game we could have won but for CC's dreadful first leg tactics - Rhodes controversially doesn't offer to take one, after a bad start with a Hutchinson miss we have a chance to regain control when Payne misses Hudders 5th, then up steps "star" player Forestieri.........................

With hindsight we now know that FF absolutely took the pee out of the club after the Norwich episode and I thought this for a fleeting few seconds at the time but does anyone else think the little shyster may not have actually put a lot of effort into that poor penalty that lost us the game????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

After drawing the two legged play off semi we went into a penalty shootout in a game we could have won but for CC's dreadful first leg tactics - Rhodes controversially doesn't offer to take one, after a bad start with a Hutchinson miss we have a chance to regain control when Payne misses Hudders 5th, then up steps "star" player Forestieri.........................

With hindsight we now know that FF absolutely took the pee out of the club after the Norwich episode and I thought this for a fleeting few seconds at the time but does anyone else think the little shyster may not have actually put a lot of effort into that poor penalty that lost us the game????

No.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Knowing Forestieri's history with Huddersfield I flat out refuse to believe he wouldn't want to score against them.

It's not like missing it, sorry, having his penalty saved did him any favours did it?

I'd suggest letting it go and looking ahead to next season.

Its a forum we can discuss past, present and future.

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Its a forum we can discuss past, present and future.

Of course, it was just a friendly piece of advice.

Thinking about moments like that will drive you mad, there are many moments since Wembley you can look at and think "what if?".

Penalty shootouts are a lottery. CC’s negative approach to the first leg handed them the psychological initiative. They should have feared us, instead we looked like lambs.

• Like 7

I just watched it back.. first time since and forgot who’d even taken them or missed.

First point is Westwood went the right way on all 5 and gave us a chance. Compared to De Gea’s shameful efforts tonight it was a great attempt.

Second is disappointing that FF missed as it would have been good to keep it going just so Rhodes had to take one.

Third is Izzy Brown running to celebrate.. shame he couldn’t be arsed running when we were paying his wages 

• Haha 8

I think it's about time we let this one go. Next well be bringing up the di canio episode with the ref, then the incompetence of Wilson.

Move on and talk about the poo were in now :Chansiri:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Penalty shootouts are a lottery. CC’s negative approach to the first leg handed them the psychological initiative. They should have feared us, instead we looked like lambs.

You're right and as bad as that first leg was, I think I would have taken a 0v0 there before kick off. 

Their home form was great that season and we should have been able to beat them in the second leg. 

I like how to show how angry mad he was he tried to leather in the rebound only to Mis kick it and see it pee-roll over the line and barely reach the back of the net.

46 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

You're right and as bad as that first leg was, I think I would have taken a 0v0 there before kick off. 

Their home form was great that season and we should have been able to beat them in the second leg. 

It wasn't the result, you are totally right that 0-0 should have been enough. It was more about how negative we were to the point of looking fearful. We literally handed them the belief they needed.

I really dont like Forestieri and found the arse licking of him by some fans after he went AWOL nauseating.

But even I don't think he missed the pen on purpose, was probably due a big bonus in his contract for promotion for starters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, toppOwl said:

No chance, don,t even know why you think it could be a possibility

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

7 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Forestieri is long gone. Why bring it up? 

26 minutes ago, A47Owl said:

Forestieri is long gone. Why bring it up? 

Its quite a key moment in our recent history and probably the beginning of the slide to where we are now.

On the plus side if we had gone up Chansiri's ineptness would have probably put us in a worse state than we are now, perhaps Fernando did us a favour.

If Tom Lees had not put the ball in his own net we would not have needed pens, did Huddersfield score from open play apart from that in the play offs.

If we had gone to the final though Carlos would have played for a draw and we would probably have lost the final on pens.

If only Carlos hadn't turned negative after Hull and Boro had success with less stylish football. Carlos also got Swansea into a position to stay up and then went defensive and blew it too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I just watched it back.. first time since and forgot who’d even taken them or missed.

First point is Westwood went the right way on all 5 and gave us a chance. Compared to De Gea’s shameful efforts tonight it was a great attempt.

Second is disappointing that FF missed as it would have been good to keep it going just so Rhodes had to take one.

Third is Izzy Brown running to celebrate.. shame he couldn’t be arsed running when we were paying his wages 

I haven't watched this back or the final. 

I never will