E-Mail Server

kirksandallowl

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What exactly do you mean?

So instead of using a hosting service like Fasthosts etc to hold and manage our mail boxes, have our own server on a machine in the office where we can have unlimited mailboxes and no restriction on mailbox size (or not a tiny one anyway).

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

Because the mailbox size allowed on most is quite restrictive, unless you can advise a good hosting service.

Mailbox size on Azure cloud (O365) is mahoosive. Setting up your own mail server is relatively easy however what sort of services do you offer your clients? Are there security requirements that your clients expect/require? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Mailbox size on Azure cloud (O365) is mahoosive. Setting up your own mail server is relatively easy however what sort of services do you offer your clients? Are there security requirements that your clients expect/require? 

Its for our internal use only, not any specific security requirements above the norm.

2 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Its for our internal use only, not any specific security requirements above the norm.

You can get off the shelf Azure solutions for competitive rates. G Cloud are also very good.

The thing is if you are going to install your own server you then have the upkeep - security patches, admin stuff, building user accounts etc.

• Thanks 1

Soldierboyblue is right.

You don't need a dedicated mail server.

Azure is ideal for your needs, and everything is done for you.

A managed service is the way forward.

To be honest, mail servers are fine for large single site users, beyond that, managed services. If you need more e-mail accounts, no problem.

Here are a few providers.

https://www.ukwebhostreview.com/best-email-hosting/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Soldierboyblue is right.

You don't need a dedicated mail server.

Azure is ideal for your needs, and everything is done for you.

A managed service is the way forward.

To be honest, mail servers are fine for large single site users, beyond that, managed services. If you need more e-mail accounts, no problem.

Here are a few providers.

https://www.ukwebhostreview.com/best-email-hosting/

I should have charged him my day rate lol

No in all seriousness there are plenty of public cloud options and even though my firm are Tier 1 MS partners, G Cloud are very good as are AWS. If you are wanting enhanced services then you can look at Private Cloud providers also. Plenty out there to suit almost everyone's requirements these days

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I should have charged him my day rate lol

No in all seriousness there are plenty of public cloud options and even though my firm are Tier 1 MS partners, G Cloud are very good as are AWS. If you are wanting enhanced services then you can look at Private Cloud providers also. Plenty out there to suit almost everyone's requirements these days

Surely I’d be entitled to owlstalk discounted rates? lol

This question arose after a nightmare day dealing with our current provider, having now had a frank discussion (gave them a bollocking) the issues appear to be resolved and they’ve given us bigger mailboxes too, so for now issue resolved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

Surely I’d be entitled to owlstalk discounted rates? lol

This question arose after a nightmare day dealing with our current provider, having now had a frank discussion (gave them a bollocking) the issues appear to be resolved and they’ve given us bigger mailboxes too, so for now issue resolved. 

Pleasure to be of service (I'm applying the DC business model)!:Chansiri: