Euro 2021

3 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Just been looking back at this tournament and we had a good team, although maybe the good players were young, Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Owen etc. But Wise was a prominent player in this tournament? Wow!

Also looked at qualification and we scraped in. Only got to the playoff because Poland didn't get a point in their last game against Sweden who were already guaranteed top spot. Keegan really did have a mare

Yeah, he had Dennis Wise on the left of midfield. I seem to remember him trying Tim Sherwood there too. It seemed to be a time when we played 4-4-2 but hardly had any left sided players. Steve Guppy and Steve Froggat were tried 🙂

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I remember people literally partying in the streets after this

i think we were 2 up v Portugal then Figo turned it on IIRC, was the first I’d heard of him

Yeah, i remember it quite well. McManaman started against Portugal and was unplayable for about 15 minutes. Then Portugal turned it on. Rui Costa was amazing that game. 

2 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Just been looking back at this tournament and we had a good team, although maybe the good players were young, Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Owen etc. But Wise was a prominent player in this tournament? Wow!

Also looked at qualification and we scraped in. Only got to the playoff because Poland didn't get a point in their last game against Sweden who were already guaranteed top spot. Keegan really did have a mare

We always used to have problems with the likes of Poland in qualifying. We've become used to qualifying at a canter nowadays. 

On the other hand at least we always used to take it to teams, think Argentina in 98, and even Brazil in 02. We'd always cause problems. But used to get outwitted and lacked technique and couldn't keep the ball. So we changed to try to emulate those teams and its not really happened for us. 

When you look back at the players we had from 2002-2006 its amazing really. 

4 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

But even Capello was a bit passed his best was he not? (this is from memory so may well be wrong). At least in terms of style of play? 

When did we last have an elite manager that was still at their peak? 

From memory Sven had won the scudetto with Lazio the season before? That's the closest to the above description. 

I liked Hoddle, until he went a bit funny.

We played decent football under him and he was a quite modern thinking in terms of his play for that time, if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markg said:

Yeah, he had Dennis Wise on the left of midfield. I seem to remember him trying Tim Sherwood there too. It seemed to be a time when we played 4-4-2 but hardly had any left sided players. Steve Guppy and Steve Froggat were tried 🙂

Remember the left-sided problem so well. In the end we shoved Scholes out there which was a travesty. 

1 minute ago, markg said:

I liked Hoddle, until he went a bit funny.

We played decent football under him and he was a quite modern thinking in terms of his play for that time, if I remember correctly. 

Yeah he had us playing good stuff, we never lacked for an attacking threat, but he was still quite unproven when he got the job and wouldn't have been considered an elite club manager. 

Really looking forward to today’s set of fixtures. All 8 teams with something to play for. The way Hungary have played they could defo cause an upset against the Germans. But the main event Portugal vs France should be a reyt game 

im excited for todays action but then NOTING until saturday.

that first few days no games after a group stage always hits me... like do i really have to go back and entertain myself again. i was just getting INTO IT FFS 

13 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

That was a blinking hot trip.

In the Velodrome with no roof. 

Great trip though, via train from Donny.
😎

Remember watching it at school in Year 11. Our English teacher let us watch it 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

im excited for todays action but then NOTING until saturday.

that first few days no games after a group stage always hits me... like do i really have to go back and entertain myself again. i was just getting INTO IT FFS 

Yeah I was gutted when I saw the 2 day break. It’s the perfect midweek evening time killer. But tbh I watch more top level football than Wednesday these days anyway, becoming more of a neutral lover of football. I’ve fallen out of love with Wednesday this year, hopefully it comes back 

Oh and there’s always Copa America these if you can stay up late 😉 

2 hours ago, whatevertrevor said:

When did we last have an elite manager that was still at their peak? 

Is this even really a thing anymore, though?

Luis Enrique and Deschamps have won things but I'm not sure either are top class "managerial peak". The ball sniffer at Germany has a proper rogue managerial career and Belgium have entrusted their golden generation to Roberto Martinez. To be honest I barely know who many of the other managers in the tournament are.

I always like the idea of a Pep or Klopp rocking up to manage at international level but I'm not sure it happens all that often? 

21 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Is this even really a thing anymore, though?

Luis Enrique and Deschamps have won things but I'm not sure either are top class "managerial peak". The ball sniffer at Germany has a proper rogue managerial career and Belgium have entrusted their golden generation to Roberto Martinez. To be honest I barely know who many of the other managers in the tournament are.

I always like the idea of a Pep or Klopp rocking up to manage at international level but I'm not sure it happens all that often? 

Your right I suppose. But I'd love to see it. 

For England though I'd just like to see someone that has had some recent success in management and/or isn't past and/or plays decent football it to take it on. McClaren, Hodgson, Allardyce you just knew weren't going to work from the start. Southgate himself had done nothing to get the job. 

2 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Your right I suppose. But I'd love to see it. 

For England though I'd just like to see someone that has had some recent success in management and/or isn't past and/or plays decent football it to take it on. McClaren, Hodgson, Allardyce you just knew weren't going to work from the start. Southgate himself had done nothing to get the job. 

I’d honestly like to see Lampard or Gerrard have a go. Would both be better than Wolly Southgate, and I don’t think we’d get anyone better at club level