Euro 2021

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

They should increase the number of participants from 24 to 32, making it 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 (16 in total) qualifying for the knockouts - the same format as the World Cup. Surely there’s another 8 teams who could have qualified who are good enough to be competitive 

The format is confusing as it is. If increasing to 32 dilutes the quality then they should have 8 groups of three. There would be no dead rubber games in the group stages then top two from each group go on to the knockout stages. 

I think we could have 32 teams tbf. If you add Greece, Romania, ROI, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Albania and Bulgaria it wouldn't be any less competitive. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, boomshaketheroom said:

There's already enough terrible teams involved so less is better surely?

4 groups of 4 - TOP 2 GO THROUGH

QF

SF

FINAL

Yeah I see both sides. I’m all for inclusion and love to see the lesser teams and see them get their opportunity. I like to see as many nations as possible. Reducing it just gives me that feel of a closed shop for the big nations 

I’m sure the likes of ROI, Romania, Norway, Serbia, Greece, Belarus, Iceland would all compete as well as some of these teams currently in the Euros 

39 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

The format is confusing as it is. If increasing to 32 dilutes the quality then they should have 8 groups of three. There would be no dead rubber games in the group stages then top two from each group go on to the knockout stages. 

I think we could have 32 teams tbf. If you add Greece, Romania, ROI, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Albania and Bulgaria it wouldn't be any less competitive. 

But then you dont need qualifying. What you want is the Nations League and we already have that. The European Championship should be the top teams and that means a maximum of 16. 

The World Cup should be 32 teams max but that is going to be 48 and it's not going to be better for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Yeah I see both sides. I’m all for inclusion and love to see the lesser teams and see them get their opportunity. I like to see as many nations as possible. Reducing it just gives me that feel of a closed shop for the big nations 

I’m sure the likes of ROI, Romania, Norway, Serbia, Greece, Belarus, Iceland would all compete as well as some of these teams currently in the Euros 

I know what you mean, and it's only going to get bigger. It just makes the competition lack quality until the last 8. All the 'lesser' teams (no disrespect intended) just put 11 men being the ball, makes for dull games IMO.

Either way we are terrible so couldn't really care to be honest.

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

Because of close contact with Gilmour - yet no Scottish player has to isolate? 

What?

Further, no English player could get near Gilmour on Friday night. 

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

Because of close contact with Gilmour - yet no Scottish player has to isolate? 

What?

i can’t get my head around how this is even possible. What kind of interaction has Gilmour had with Mount and Chilwell that he hasn’t had with his team mates. 

Just now, Vaughan said:

i can’t get my head around how this is even possible. What kind of interaction has Gilmour had with Mount and Chilwell that he hasn’t had with his team mates. 

Er, they hugged each other at the end lol 

Honestly, I've seen people say that was the reason. 

• Like 1