Euro 2021

3rd place for Switzerland with 4 points and a -1 goal difference means our 3rd place ranking will be higher than theirs if we suffer a 1-goal defeat to the Czechs on Tuesday and Scotland somehow hammer Croatia. 

A 2-goal defeat or worse for us would mean Switzerland ranked higher than us if we were to finish 3rd.

Shouldn't happen though should it........

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

What happens on Tuesday with us then? 

We only need a point to guarantee going through, as do the Czechs. 

Might be wrong, but isn't it in our interests to actually finish second which is where we are right now? 

Team who finishes top gets third place in the group of death, right? 

So does that mean the Czechs might want to try and aim for a narrow one nil defeat, as they have a slightly better goal difference? 

giphy.gif

Yeah, looking at it that way, it will actually be hard to engineer an actual result.  

Apparently Kane is definitely starting, but I expect us to play Saka, Sancho, Bellingham, White etc. 

There's two trains of thought in our scenario- keep the team together for consistency, or rest all players by using the squad.

It sort of worked against Belgium in the WC, we got the defeat that gave us the easier route, but I'm not convinced losing to the Czech republic will help us this time round.

Anyway,  there's a good chance we will lose anyway whichever route we go. They are a very dangerous side. 

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Yeah, looking at it that way, it will actually be hard to engineer an actual result.  

Apparently Kane is definitely starting, but I expect us to play Saka, Sancho, Bellingham, White etc. 

There's two trains of thought in our scenario- keep the team together for consistency, or rest all players by using the squad.

It sort of worked against Belgium in the WC, we got the defeat that gave us the easier route, but I'm not convinced losing to the Czech republic will help us this time round.

Anyway,  there's a good chance we will lose anyway whichever route we go. They are a very dangerous side. 

As has been said in this thread, finishing 2nd in 2016 got us a decent draw against Iceland..........

I'm not totally convinced we will but I'd rather we play to win, get some momentum and go into the next round with confidence and just deal with whatever the draw throws up. If we finish 2nd and win the last 16 game we likely end up with the winner of Group F in the quarter final anyway.

3 hours ago, owler66 said:

Modern football pretending to be badly hurt every challenge will eventually kill the game

Doesn’t even make anyone slightly concerned (about their supposed injured) at this point. I just sort of do this until they get back up. 

1A1D91D9-2951-49C6-B39D-9A8E54A9E2CD.gif.3d1cce16ea829adb21c27a05d1dcc807.gif

Hard to see past the Italians at the moment and I know it's early days, but this is probably the most exciting team I have ever seen them turn out.

Pressing, energetic, forward focussed play, with quality all over the pitch. Their midfield is incredible.

8 changes tonight, and a very decent Welsh team could barely get on the ball.  We'll see how they fare against tougher opponents of course, but I doubt many will want to face them.

Germany got an early wake up call, and as to be expected, came out in ruthless form against the Portuguese. As ever, they will be ones to watch and will no doubt canter into the last 8 at least.

Belgium, Holland, France and Ukraine have also impressed in their own way.

England, no chance. A coward of a manager who plays 2 defensive midfielders against an inferior local rival. Who insists on sticking with an out of sorts Kane and Sterling, whilst hooking Foden and leaving Sancho, Rashford and Grealish on the bench. The definition of beige, mediocre football in every sense.

We'll get our buns toasted should we come up against any of the above.

Edited by Sheff74
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Hard to see past the Italians at the moment and I know it's early days, but this is probably the most exciting team I have ever seen them turn out.

Pressing, energetic, forward focussed play, with quality all over the pitch. Their midfield is incredible.

8 changes tonight, and a very decent Welsh team could barely get on the ball.  We'll see how they fare against tougher opponents of course, but I doubt many will want to face them.

Germany got an early wake up call, and as to be expected, came out in ruthless form against the Portuguese. As ever, they will be ones to watch and will no doubt canter into the last 8 at least.

Belgium, Holland, France and Ukraine have also impressed in their own way.

England, no chance. A coward of a manager who plays 2 defensive midfielders against an inferior local rival. Who insists on sticking with an out of sorts Kane and Sterling, whilst hooking Foden and leaving Sancho, Rashford and Grealish on the bench. The definition of beige, mediocre football in every sense.

We'll get our buns toasted should we come up against any of the above.

I’m convinced that France will win it.

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I’m convinced that France will win it.

Their forward line is quite terrifying.  I wouldn't bet against them either to be honest, but just think Italy look the more rounded package.

Long way to go though.

Final will include two of France, Germany and Italy. I mean unless they end up facing each other too early. France and Germany can’t face each other until the final though? Or idk… that’s how it would work in a WC. This formats so confusing. 

10 hours ago, Sova said:

If we finish second, we play the runner-up in Group E, which could well end up being Spain the way things are going.

Runners up don’t play runners up. 

Only  teams to impress so far are Italy and Germany 

France and Spain obviously have the players but Spain are nothing to worry about, they’ve been as bad as us. I’d take that as the knockout fixture. France, for all their flair have only scored 1 goal (excluding Hummels OG). Hungary gave them a game. 

I think I’d rather finish 2nd and take chances with Spain than win our group and get demolished by Germany again. 

But finishing second involves drawing to Czech Republic which doesn’t give us any momentum for what’s to come. 

Another tourney , another England shitshow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Runners up don’t play runners up. 

Only  teams to impress so far are Italy and Germany 

France and Spain obviously have the players but Spain are nothing to worry about, they’ve been as bad as us. I’d take that as the knockout fixture. France, for all their flair have only scored 1 goal (excluding Hummels OG). Hungary gave them a game. 

I think I’d rather finish 2nd and take chances with Spain than win our group and get demolished by Germany again. 

But finishing second involves drawing to Czech Republic which doesn’t give us any momentum for what’s to come. 

Another tourney , another England shitshow. 

Interesting summary considering Germany lost to France.

Hopefully France believe their own hype & come unstuck like they did against Hungary.