Euro 2021

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not as if they haven't created enough chances to win this game comfortably, just not clinical. 

Yeah. There’s no divine right to win a game of football going by pass completion percentages and possession. 

Honestly I found Spain’s style a bit of a chore to watch even at their peak. Its possible to admire technical ability while not finding it particularly engaging to watch. Tonight was just a diet version of that, and ultimately they couldn’t beat Sweden today because they weren’t good enough. People will moan about Sweden but I’m missing the part where Spain actually did enough to win this game.

12 minutes ago, Taz said:

Seen Spain lose an opener and lift the wc before so.... not thinking too much about that. 

My prediction on this tournament is if England make the quarter finals we win it. If we don’t France will. 

I know that’s an odd way to view it all but I feel it in my gut that we will win if we make the quarters. 

Germany will be my favourites if they beat France. You cannot rule out ze Germans - they are inevitable in the euros. 

Can’t see us having the brains to win it to be honest. I can see us looking good against some good teams but being undone by a bit of Gamesmanship or an individual error.

Just now, 83owl said:

Can’t see us having the brains to win it to be honest. I can see us looking good against some good teams but being undone by a bit of Gamesmanship or an individual error.

In other words we’ll do an England lol

• Like 2

Guest T Hardy
46 minutes ago, Sova said:

Germany have already been chosen to host the 2024 Euros - sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

Ha. I didn’t know that. Just assumed this format was permanent.

8 hours ago, vulva said:

I think the Germans are dark horses in all this. Sane, Harvertz, Muller, Gnabry, Werner, Gundogan, Kimmich, Kroos, Neuer. Serious players. 

They have also brought back Matts Hummels, a quality of defender and character that England can only dream of having in their line up.

Obviously it all went wrong for them in the last World Cup, but I doubt they will have another poor tournament.  

8 hours ago, scram said:

Our central defensive area will undo us

TBH i was impressed with Mings in the Croatia game and i'd definitely stick with him for now

I think we are quite poor in that area so it's much of a muchness anyway

He was surprisingly impressive on Sunday.

Having been lucky enough to be there, I'd say he was one of our standout performers.

What I will say though is that if at any point we end up with him and Coady at CB (in a two), we might as well call it a night. Truth be told, the only way I see Coady coming in is if we switch to a back three and he can play similar to how he does with Wolves.

Spain definitely overplay. 900+ passes is triple the amount we had against Croatia. If we played them you'd think we'd just sit deep and counter with the likes of Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Saka etc. Sweden didn't have those types of athletes. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Spain definitely overplay. 900+ passes is triple the amount we had against Croatia. If we played them you'd think we'd just sit deep and counter with the likes of Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Saka etc. Sweden didn't have those types of athletes. 

Opposition teams have done this to Spain for 4 /5 years.  Refusing to play and sitting deep. 

Wish the rest of the world would grow a pair. 

1 hour ago, Bez said:

Opposition teams have done this to Spain for 4 /5 years.  Refusing to play and sitting deep. 

Wish the rest of the world would grow a pair. 

So you wish the rest of the world would open themselves up and get beat by Spain? 

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day, if you've had 85 percent possession or whatever it is, then you should probably be winning games of football, certainly against a team who are as mediocre as the Swedes are on paper. 

The idea that is the opposition's fault for not opening up is just ridiculous tbh.  

Probably the most boring game of the tournament so far yesterday, only got excited when Isak got the ball, looked lively.

Contrast with Italy and Belgium who still kept the ball well, but utilised runs from deep and forward passing to create chances quickly, before a team can set up defensively.

Morata should have buried his chance though tbf, then could have been different.

10 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Probably the most boring game of the tournament so far yesterday, only got excited when Isak got the ball, looked lively.

Contrast with Italy and Belgium who still kept the ball well, but utilised runs from deep and forward passing to create chances quickly, before a team can set up defensively.

Morata should have buried his chance though tbf, then could have been different.

And that chance, by far the best chance they created, game because the centre half missed the ball, not due to some great 50 pass move or owt. 

Very pedestrian from Spain. Shadow of the great team they had 10 years ago

• Like 1

Having seen Scotland V Czech Republic yesterday, I think our group is wide open.

It's looking like Croatia are the weakest team, Perisic looks a bit past it, they have no cutting edge up front, and Modric can't do it on his own. 

My concern would be that Friday is a more of a cup final than ever now, Scotland have to get something out of the game. I'm not convinced our players are up for that kind of battle.

Czechs? well that forward looks like he could best Stones and Mings, Soucek will need some controlling and tracking with his late runs into the box, and they have other interesting players. They can definitely give us a game, and they beat us in the last qualifier we played against them.

Put it this way, I'm very happy we got 3 points versus the Croats, so effectively we need a point from two games to progress.