Euro 2021

11 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

I'm loving Gareth Southgate's formation and selection.

Phil Foden was initially given a starting position but for me, he was occupying spaces where Harry Kane drops deep.

We're better for having Kane's vision and our other attackers running beyond him. Playing the likes of Saka, Sancho, Sterling, Grealish ahead of Foden seems the way forward. 

Have to agree

I don't think Foden is a good fit for this England team although he is a fabulous player

It's similar (ish) to how we tried to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same team even though it was obvious it didn't work  - and shamefully put Scholes wide left thereby completely nullifying one of the best attacking midfielders we've ever had

• Like 1

Just now, scram said:

Have to agree

I don't think Foden is a good fit for this England team although he is a fabulous player

It's similar (ish) to how we tried to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same team even though it was obvious it didn't work  - and shamefully put Scholes wide left thereby completely nullifying one of the best attacking midfielders we've ever had

I think the benefit for Foden though is that his inclusion almost feels like a free hit. I was surprised when he started the tournament, and the quality of the rest of the squad seems to be sparing him a pressurised clamour to just shoehorn him in anywhere.

He’s 21 and is still only really just breaking into his stride under Guardiola. There’s time for everybody to figure it out. 

27 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Think I agree with that as well 😂

There's such a disparity with penalty analysis though. Bonucci's was slight right of centre, slightly off the ground, pretty much the same as Morata's. Difference is the keeper has gone the wrong way.

There are pens that are ridiculous though and are almost unsavable ala Jorginho and Bernadeschi.

Remember Pirlo pen. Really embarrassed  Joe Hart who was trying to be a Grobhalar. 

image.gif.34065ee1f463fe4de7bb8f5c6f4dd303.gifIt’s a load of psychology and a wee bit of skill. 

Could see Foden and Mount playing as CMs with against weaker opposition in future. 

Looking at the squad we have, 

Bellingham, Foden, Greenwood, Saka, Sancho, Mount, James

All 22or under... Very strong spine to build on for next euros and freshing up the squad 

28 minutes ago, scram said:

Have to agree

Plenty more tournaments for Foden to make his real mark. 

Easy to forget how young he still is. 

As you say, perhaps we are not quite the right fit for him atm, or perhaps it has come a bit too soon after his first proper, full season with Man City. 

Oh god 

right up until now I was mentally prepared for us to go out, but now I’m super hyped and it’s gonna hurt so much if we don’t win tomorrow now.

this is what happened in 18. I was like… eh we’ll get knocked out soon, then it was ah beat Croatia and were in the final and we lost and I was angry I let myself get excited. 

i could have handled losing in the quarters.

I can handle losing the final.

but don’t get me this juiced to lose to Denmark in the semi.

arrrggghhhhh

Fantastic game last night, lovely starter before today's main course. 

I was confident against Ukraine, that worried me but in the end we were far too good. I'm fairly confident about tonight too. We can beat Denmark. We have the squad and the momentum and the spirit. They have the last 2 in spades, our squad is better, our first 11 is too I'd say. It's gonna be a hell of a tense night. These are the games we dream of though so there's no way I'm spending the next 12 hours or so panicking and worrying. Enjoy it. 

I think this one is going to be tougher than the rest. Thought we would beat Ukraine fairly comfortably, but I don't have the same feeling tonight.

Still think we will win, but will be close. Would say 2-1, maybe going to ET.

Come on England!

• Like 1

A statement from the family of the young German lass trolled online

"In the interests of our daughter and our family we would like to remain private however we wish to thank everyone for your amazing support.

Our daughter would like to request your generous donations go to UNICEF, knowing that your kindness will do good."

• Like 5

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Last night was a decent game. Technically highly proficient, Pedri and Busquets looked as good as anything in the world when they were controlling the game in the first half but I think that the pundits were going a bit far with their effusive praise of the Spanish. The amount of pretty patterns you create doesn't count, it's the goals that do and Italy always looked the team with a cutting edge.

I was genuinely shocked when Spain scored, they just didn't look like the had it in them. It also felt like Spain had to win it in that last 10 minutes after they equalised as you knew they would bottle the penalties. As soon as Morata stepped up it was over. He must have known he was going to miss.

Italy set out with a very specific gameplan and carried it off almost to perfection. Losing Spinnazzola meant they had to adjust and they did so very well. 

49 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

A statement from the family of the young German lass trolled online

"In the interests of our daughter and our family we would like to remain private however we wish to thank everyone for your amazing support.

Our daughter would like to request your generous donations go to UNICEF, knowing that your kindness will do good."

Really. Has a little girl been trolled. 

Some proper low life’s masquerading as both civilised people and patriots. 

5 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Last night was a decent game. Technically highly proficient, Pedri and Busquets looked as good as anything in the world when they were controlling the game in the first half but I think that the pundits were going a bit far with their effusive praise of the Spanish. The amount of pretty patterns you create doesn't count, it's the goals that do and Italy always looked the team with a cutting edge.

I was genuinely shocked when Spain scored, they just didn't look like the had it in them. It also felt like Spain had to win it in that last 10 minutes after they equalised as you knew they would bottle the penalties. As soon as Morata stepped up it was over. He must have known he was going to miss.

Italy set out with a very specific gameplan and carried it off almost to perfection. Losing Spinnazzola meant they had to adjust and they did so very well. 

Did you see those chances Spain had before they actually scored?

Agree about Spinnazzola. They did miss his wing play and will miss him on Sunday. 

Not exactly sitters thought were they. Oyarzabal miscontrolling a pass and the chance where it dropped kindly to Olmo? I think Busquets shot over the bar. What else? Oyarzabal had the best chance with the missed header but that was after Italy had taken the lead. I thought Italy missed the best chance in the first half when they dicked about on the edge of the box after Simon rushed out of his goal.

Spain continually made the wrong choice in the last third. Up to that point they played beautifully but no I didnt think they were going to score.

I don't think Kane is suited to Man City.

Man City's possession style of attack with Silva, Foden, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Sterling, Gundogun etc..leaves them wanting a poacher and it'll negate a large piece of Kane's game.

Leroy Sane would have been perfect to run beyond Kane, but he's been sold to Bayern last year

28 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Not exactly sitters thought were they. Oyarzabal miscontrolling a pass and the chance where it dropped kindly to Olmo? I think Busquets shot over the bar. What else? Oyarzabal had the best chance with the missed header but that was after Italy had taken the lead. I thought Italy missed the best chance in the first half when they dicked about on the edge of the box after Simon rushed out of his goal.

Spain continually made the wrong choice in the last third. Up to that point they played beautifully but no I didnt think they were going to score.

I suppose the difference is that Italy's defence is one mean motherf*cker - and Spain did look to be able to get at them with relative ease

I accept what you say that Spain look very wasteful - both in spurning opportunity and missing the chance to create opportunity