Euro 2021

2 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I think our midfield is Taylor made to play against the Spanish. Rice and Phillips are both tireless and, will get through any amount of work required. 

The fact that the Spanish been pushed to extra time 3 times shows they lack a cutting edge. They’ve hardly had a horror run have they? Croatia, Switzerland then the Italians, not a lot different to our run and, we’ve made a lot lighter work than them so far.

Graham Taylor?

Just now, shandypants said:

We have blistering pace, a world class forward who has just hit his straps, other forwards that can unpick a defence, and a miserly defence.  I wonder about Rice and Phillips but we do have a midfielder, in Henderson, that is obviously not amongst the absolute world elite but is close to being world class on his day.  I'm not one of the deluded "it's coming home mob" but I do believe that, in our own way, we are as good as the Spanish or Italians - and I come to that conclusion by thinking logically and objectively.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm quietly confident that we can win it. I just noticed that we look a bit pedestrian moving as a unit than these two do and they are better on the ball.   

If we do get to the final and we do play Italy i think it's essential we play 3 ball carriers up with Kane

So Sterling and 2 from Sancho/Saka/Grealish

I'd maybe sacrifice Rice for Mount (sounds very biblical) to give us better ball retention and even ability to carry the ball from deep

If it's Spain i think we would be more akin to how we lined up against Ukraine but cannot rely on scoring Sunday league goals against them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm quietly confident that we can win it. I just noticed that we look a bit pedestrian moving as a unit than these two do and they are better on the ball.   

Agreed.  It's a case of footballing development mindset isn't it? We are only just moving to the same sort of footballing philosophy as these two countries in terms of young player development; and that has only really come about since Pep, Klopp and the other top European and South American managers have been allowed to have a greater control at all levels within our Prem teams.  I think that we really have the potential for our national team to become similar to the great German national teams of the past that had a great blend of physicality and skill.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scram said:

If we do get to the final and we do play Italy i think it's essential we play 3 ball carriers up with Kane

So Sterling and 2 from Sancho/Saka/Grealish

I'd maybe sacrifice Rice for Mount (sounds very biblical) to give us better ball retention and even ability to carry the ball from deep

If it's Spain i think we would be more akin to how we lined up against Ukraine but cannot rely on scoring Sunday league goals against them

You seen unai Simon? Worst Gk in the euros