Euro 2021

3 minutes ago, scram said:

But they still have  24 hours more recovery

Yep but we can’t change that so another 30 mins of physical and mental anguish would def help. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scram said:

And for those who don't like people trying to give an honest objective opinion on England and making this feel like Owlstalk Matchday

We haven't faced anything like the quality that is on display tonight

As Spain rue missed chances...

Although we haven't faced this typed of quality yet, I believe we have the ability to beat either side if we get to the final.  

• Like 1

Just now, shandypants said:

Although we haven't faced this typed of quality yet, I believe we have the ability to beat either side if we get to the final.  

Fair enough - i hope you are right

The intensity of this game alone is on another planet to anything we have had to cope with

But my main point is that it is not a crime to look at a game objectively and give an honest opinion

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Both seem to be a little better quality wise than England

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that.  It depends what you mean by quality.  Spain has quality in possession but not in defence and Italy has quality in defence but not in possession.  We have quality in defence and now have shown some promise in attack.   

If we made the final we’d have to be considered the underdog against either of these teams but, I think that helps us and once you’re in the final it’s anyone’s game IMO.

Really enjoying this game. Three stand out things for me in this tournament for me.

1. Refs have been very very good

2. VAR when it’s been used has been quick

3. No feigning injuries. Hardly remember a trainer coming on.

compare that to English football with crap refs, decisions changed five minutes later and players hobbling off the pitch to immediately sprint back on.

Lets hope this is how things are going to be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that.  It depends what you mean by quality.  Spain has quality in possession but not in defence and Italy has quality in defence but not in possession.  We have quality in defence and now have shown some promise in attack.   

They are much more comfortable on the ball, they don't seem to have think about what they are about to do.  

1 minute ago, scram said:

Fair enough - i hope you are right

The intensity of this game alone is on another planet to anything we have had to cope with

But my main point is that it is not a crime to look at a game objectively and give an honest opinion

I agree about looking at the game objectively - I hope you know by now that I really value your opinion.  I think that Southgate will have to really have to have his thinking cap on if we get to the final.  IMO, if we get there and meet Spain, we will have to go with three in midfield; if we get there and meet Italy, we have to address our forward line.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They are much more comfortable on the ball, they don't seem to have think about what they are about to do.  

We have blistering pace, a world class forward who has just hit his straps, other forwards that can unpick a defence, and a miserly defence.  I wonder about Rice and Phillips but we do have a midfielder, in Henderson, that is obviously not amongst the absolute world elite but is close to being world class on his day.  I'm not one of the deluded "it's coming home mob" but I do believe that, in our own way, we are as good as the Spanish or Italians - and I come to that conclusion by thinking logically and objectively.  

Posted (edited)

I think our midfield is Taylor made to play against the Spanish. Rice and Phillips are both tireless and, will get through any amount of work required. 

The fact that the Spanish been pushed to extra time 3 times shows they lack a cutting edge. They’ve hardly had a horror run have they? Croatia, Switzerland then the Italians, not a lot different to our run and, we’ve made a lot lighter work than them so far.

Edited by 0wl18