Euro 2021

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Unfortunately, that's just how that generation was.

Gerrard said he did similar. Basically, we had an England dressing room split into cliques of the top clubs.

This current generation do seem different though. Seem much more pally with one another. Perhaps lacks the big personalities of some previous generations, but that might not be a bad thing.

That team was pathetic. 

We had bigger personalities in the 96 and 98 squads and they managed to get on with each well enough to not affect the team.

• Like 1

Thought yesterday’s game was pretty low on quality tbh 

Italy won easily, but that was more testament to how rubbish Turkey were from minute 1 - think the only good passage of play their had was in the last 5 mins when they won a corner 

The rest of the match they spent hoofing upfield to lose possession 

21 minutes ago, markg said:

That team was pathetic. 

We had bigger personalities in the 96 and 98 squads and they managed to get on with each well enough to not affect the team.

The only one who ever performed consistently well was Ashley Cole.

Beckham gave his all too and a handful of others.

That was it.

46 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Unfortunately, that's just how that generation was.

Gerrard said he did similar. Basically, we had an England dressing room split into cliques of the top clubs.

This current generation do seem different though. Seem much more pally with one another. Perhaps lacks the big personalities of some previous generations, but that might not be a bad thing.

This is what Southgate is best at

37 minutes ago, markg said:

That team was pathetic. 

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The only one who ever performed consistently well was Ashley Cole.

Beckham gave his all too and a handful of others.

That was it.

When I was at 6th form I went to some sort of sports enterprising day at Keepmoat and they had a sports analyst that worked with England and McClaren got him to make this video which was to the music best of you by Foo fighters and kind of a highlights real of all the players, it was a bit cringe but he was on about McClaren trying to get them to behave more like a club. 
I think for all those strong characters to not actually sort those issues out is pathetic because they should have known it’s not conductive for a winning team to behave like that.

Current generation seem to look forward to England duty which is great, when you hear them talking to media they are obviously really enjoying it. 

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

This is what Southgate is best at

Neville made an interesting point on Waistcoast.

The one thing be does have is he understands what it is like to be a player for England at international tournaments. That sort of experience and knowhow has got to be handy.

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Got a feeling Wales will beat Switzerland. Denmark should see Finland off and Belgium will find it tougher in Russia than people think but still narrowly win. 

Wales are dark horses for me,  a front 4 of Moore, Bale, James and Ramsey can give any defence a tough time when they’re at top form.  And they have the solid pros like Davies and Allen, and a couple of very good youngsters in Rodon and Nico Williams. 

They probably need a draw today and a win against Turkey to get out the group which is achievable.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The one thing be does have is he understands what it is like to be a player for England at international tournaments. That sort of experience and knowhow has got to be handy.

As long as he’s not giving advice on taking penalties

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That’s the only silver lining I can think of for this man, because tactically he’s miles behind his counterparts and I don’t trust him to get it right…starting with tomorrow’s selection 

40 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

That’s the only silver lining I can think of for this man, because tactically he’s miles behind his counterparts and I don’t trust him to get it right…starting with tomorrow’s selection 

I'm far from convinced.

Think he's overly cautious and negative and we may see that tomorrow.

Almost certain it is a back 3/5 tomorriw.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

The rest of the match they spent hoofing upfield to lose possession 

To be fair Italy's high press didn't give them any other option. 

7 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Can anyone explain to me how Azerbaijan is in Europe?..........it's like Israel being in the Eurovision song contest, bloody annoying.

I don't understand it, my understanding was Israel group in with Europe because they are shunned by many Arab nations but I don't think it would be the same for Azerbaijan. Not sure about Armenia and Georgia. But you would've thought they rather play in asian competitions as more chance of winning something? Weirdest one is Kazakhstan lol