Keiren Westwood

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think it was due to a clash of personalities. 

I think it was reported that Westwood didn't see eye to eye as well with Ireland manager Martin O'Neill.

Another poor manager?

• Like 1

When you look at the quality of keepers we've had over the years it's astounding 

Woods

pressman

grant

carson (loan) 

Wevier

hodge

Kirkland

The most important signing this season is a new number one and send Dawson out on loan.not sure about wildsmith he doesn't fill me with confidence but stepping down a league may be the making of him if he gets games who knows, 

Thanks for the memories keiren Westwood wish you well for the future. 

14 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Westwood 

W6 D5 L8  PPG 1.21

Wildsmith

W4 D 4 L11  PPG.0.84

Dawson

W2 D2 L4 PPG 1.00

That's counting the Swansea away draw as Wildsmith's as he came for Westwood after 14 mins.

So looing at that was the time right to let him go ??

If were going forward with Dawson and Wildsmith id say not.

I’m glad Westwood’s gone as I didn’t really rate him

Decent shot stopper, terrible distribution and slowed the game down inexplicably when we needed urgency.

He was made of crumbly cheese and balsa wood and could cripple himself just warming up

The problem is we need three keepers because our current crop of backup goalies are useless too

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 21:24, WBridgfordowl said:

Probably the right time for a parting of the ways and there’s no doubt he isn’t the keeper he was. That said, replacing him isn’t going to be easy and not replacing him surely isn’t an option. 

we all know how good westwood was at his best, BUT his best has gone, and been gone more than a season.

IF he is allowed to leave, it will be interesting to see who is in for him? how much first team football he plays? and how often he is injured in the warm up? or out for big games?

17 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thanks. I knew the answer, I strongly suspect the poster I was asking knew as well, which is why he didn't reply. 

Yes very interesting that you attribute our points per game gained to the keeper rather than attributing any praise or blame to the rest of the team. 

I prefer to look at the goals conceded and clean sheets as more of a mark of how a GK has performed given that it is their specific area of the pitch. I wonder what the stats are for those?

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yes very interesting that you attribute our points per game gained to the keeper rather than attributing any praise or blame to the rest of the team. 

I prefer to look at the goals conceded and clean sheets as more of a mark of how a GK has performed given that it is their specific area of the pitch. I wonder what the stats are for those?

Yes, very interesting that you attribute goals conceded to the keeper rather than how the rest of the team has performed.

See how easy it is?

Maybe you should look at percentage of shots saved if you want to assess a goalkeeper performance in isolation (steady how you go if you look this up though, it doesn't make good reading for Dawson especially).

I feel it was the right time to move Westwood on given his salary and his age but only if we replace him with an adequate keeper as the two we have have not proved they are good enough to be a long-term number 1.  

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yes, very interesting that you attribute goals conceded to the keeper rather than how the rest of the team has performed.

See how easy it is?

Maybe you should look at percentage of shots saved if you want to assess a goalkeeper performance in isolation (steady how you go if you look this up though, it doesn't make good reading for Dawson especially).

I feel it was the right time to move Westwood on given his salary and his age but only if we replace him with an adequate keeper as the two we have have not proved they are good enough to be a long-term number 1.  

Very true.

The thing with this squad is that it lacked balance.

If you lack an animal in the middle it puts strain on your defence, which in turn affects the keeper.

We never got the best out of that group because of the haphazard recruitment.

Compare that with the team Tufty built.

Not great individuals but pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle.

On 20/05/2021 at 21:21, Salmonbones said:

Westwood has been good, mostly.  He's also had some bad periods.

Pressman was class in the top flight, you cannot deny that.

Srnicek was class in the 2nd tier for us, as was Pressman too.

I'm not buying these apples, sorry.    Westwood has been good for us in the 2nd tier on the main.   Not totally.   

Srnicek never let a goal in for us in the 2nd tier. Great record.

5 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Very true.

The thing with this squad is that it lacked balance.

If you lack an animal in the middle it puts strain on your defence, which in turn affects the keeper.

We never got the best out of that group because of the haphazard recruitment.

Compare that with the team Tufty built.

Not great individuals but pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Can't argue with that. So may pieces of our jigsaw missing that the sum of the individual parts was far greater than the worth of the collective. Even with the very best individuals (which we didn't have) it is hard to succeed if key components are missing. 

48 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

See how easy it is?

League Stats, past 5 seasons:

image.png.d0be6d497ef7804d5e6cf62d4072dff4.png

Westwood's % of shots saved and goals conceded per game have gone down a little this season*. But even with this season's stats (66% of shots saved, 1.25 goals conceded per game) he's still comfortably outperforming Dawson and Wildsmith's career average.

*part of the reason Westwood's stats are worse this season is that we conceded so many penalties this season when he played. 5 penalties conceded in just 19 full games. Compared to 1 in 8 games for Dawson, 1 in 18 for Wildsmith.

And while Westwood was responsible for the penalty Blackburn got (although I think Reach's terrible header didn't give him much chance), the Borner, Dunkley, Hutchinson and Pelupessy penalties conceded were nothing to do with him. Terrible defending higher up the pitch.

If you look at this season's stats without penalties included, Westwood's save ratio is 69% (Dawson 68%, Wildsmith 59%) and goals conceded per game, excluding penalties, are Westwood at 1.04 (Dawson 1.00, Wildsmith 1.49).

31 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

League Stats, past 5 seasons:

image.png.d0be6d497ef7804d5e6cf62d4072dff4.png

Westwood's % of shots saved and goals conceded per game have gone down a little this season*. But even with this season's stats (66% of shots saved, 1.25 goals conceded per game) he's still comfortably outperforming Dawson and Wildsmith's career average.

*part of the reason Westwood's stats are worse this season is that we conceded so many penalties this season when he played. 5 penalties conceded in just 19 full games. Compared to 1 in 8 games for Dawson, 1 in 18 for Wildsmith.

And while Westwood was responsible for the penalty Blackburn got (although I think Reach's terrible header didn't give him much chance), the Borner, Dunkley, Hutchinson and Pelupessy penalties conceded were nothing to do with him. Terrible defending higher up the pitch.

If you look at this season's stats without penalties included, Westwood's save ratio is 69% (Dawson 68%, Wildsmith 59%) and goals conceded per game, excluding penalties, are Westwood at 1.04 (Dawson 1.00, Wildsmith 1.49).

Wildsmith's save percentage of 59% ranks him at 45 out of 53 goalkeepers to have played in the Championship this season. 

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

See how easy it is?

I just think it’s strange that whilst stats wise this season you can easily argue that either one is better than the other. Neither of which have had a good season yet one is fawned over and still rated by fans as one of the best in the league and you often see comments like “he commands his area so well” or “I always feel so much better with KW in goals”

Dawson however is constantly referred to as a calamity or a clown and L2 at best and yet statistically there is nothing between them. 

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I just think it’s strange that whilst stats wise this season you can easily argue that either one is better than the other. Neither of which have had a good season yet one is fawned over and still rated by fans as one of the best in the league and you often see comments like “he commands his area so well” or “I always feel so much better with KW in goals”

Dawson however is constantly referred to as a calamity or a clown and L2 at best and yet statistically there is nothing between them. 

But Dawson gets hooked as soon as things go south and they inevitably always have done, same with Wildsmith. Westwood was sidelined by Jos and Monk but the reasons behind both seemed not to be purely performance related, every other manager has picked Westwood without hesitation when fit. The difference between them all has become less over time as Westwood has gone past his best years, the concern in that respect is that rather than the other two improving to close the gap it is because Westwood is now in decline.

As I said, I wouldn't have gone with Westwood next season but have enjoyed seeing him be a key part of a successful back line over the years, even in the season before the play-offs. 

I can't see me ever enjoying watching a full season with Dawson or Wildsmith in goal. If that's what we go with next season then I hope one of them proves me wrong but as things stand it is in hope far more than expectation.  

29 minutes ago, 83owl said:

One has proven what he can do in the past and the other hasn’t. Simple as that really.

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can't argue with that. So may pieces of our jigsaw missing that the sum of the individual parts was far greater than the worth of the collective. Even with the very best individuals (which we didn't have) it is hard to succeed if key components are missing. 

Nailed it.