Keiren Westwood

Sad to see him go however I think the time was right. Been one of the best keepers I've had the pleasure of seeing. 

Think Wildsmith gets too much stick. He's a good keeper and will do the job for us in League 1.

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
15 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

I'd say by making Dawson first choice keeper when a far better keeper,  Westwood, was frozen out for some reason. 

Westwood saves us more points in a season the Dawson would/could, and therefore contributed to our downturn in results and ending up in Monk losing his job. So I'd say that was Monk shooting himself in the foot, or cutting his nose off to spite his face at the very least. 

I think Westwood would save us more points than if Dawson and Wildsmith played in the net together. Of course only one could use their hands so would probably get in the way of the other anyway. Worth considering if we are up against it in the last 10 minutes next season. Can't be any more stupid than bringing on Kachunga.

16 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

I'd say by making Dawson first choice keeper when a far better keeper,  Westwood, was frozen out for some reason. 

Westwood saves us more points in a season the Dawson would/could, and therefore contributed to our downturn in results and ending up in Monk losing his job. So I'd say that was Monk shooting himself in the foot, or cutting his nose off to spite his face at the very least. 

When exactly does he save us all these points then? The longest run of games that Westwood managed to put together without “injury” was 6 in a row at the end of the season. We got 6 points which was less ppg we were on under Monk.

Going to sound daft, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line for the 4th goalkeeper to get the home grown quota on one of the Manchester teams squad lists. Started his career at City, wouldn't need to play ever or move house, do a bit of coaching. Not like they couldn't afford it. Carson and Grants both done their spells. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

When exactly does he save us all these points then? The longest run of games that Westwood managed to put together without “injury” was 6 in a row at the end of the season. We got 6 points which was less ppg we were on under Monk.

Which of our keepers got the most points per game this season?

38 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which of our keepers got the most points per game this season?

Westwood 

W6 D5 L8  PPG 1.21

Wildsmith

W4 D 4 L11  PPG.0.84

Dawson

W2 D2 L4 PPG 1.00

That's counting the Swansea away draw as Wildsmith's as he came for Westwood after 14 mins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Westwood 

W6 D5 L8  PPG 1.21

Wildsmith

W4 D 4 L11  PPG.0.84

Dawson

W2 D2 L4 PPG 1.00

That's counting the Swansea away draw as Wildsmith's as he came for Westwood after 14 mins.

Thanks. I knew the answer, I strongly suspect the poster I was asking knew as well, which is why he didn't reply. 

5 hours ago, Loppy said:

Going to sound daft, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line for the 4th goalkeeper to get the home grown quota on one of the Manchester teams squad lists. Started his career at City, wouldn't need to play ever or move house, do a bit of coaching. Not like they couldn't afford it. Carson and Grants both done their spells. 

I completely agree. If I was a Liverpool, Everton or one of the Manchester clubs then id pick him up as 3rd/4th choice.  Grant's played twice for Man Utd in three seasons but he's a fantastic pro. I know Rob Green also had a couple of seasons in the Prem for Huddersfield & Chelsea respectively in a similar capacity. Would be a decent move for Westwood.

21 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Based on those facts

That’s where you’ve gone wrong, bringing facts into it. OT “experts” will always trump facts with, “worst I’ve ever seen” or “best I’ve ever seen” or my personal favourite “anyone who doesn’t agree with my opinion know nowt about football” 

24A28363-1086-4937-A9F6-84C20AFBD48D.jpeg

Well...he was comfortably the best keeper we've had since relegation and we have had some decent ones over the years. 

Not too often we could sit here and say we had the legit best player in the division in his position and I think Westwood was that for at least two to three seasons. 

It is a shame that his latter years descended into somewhat of a circus, with drops in form (then recoveries) and then with him not only getting dropped, bust exiled, for substantial periods. I suppose it was Monk and Jos who did that so make of that what you will. 

It was time for him to move on though. We need a new, younger number one. i hope to god we are looking for someone, because neither Dawson or Wildsmith or up to it. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

I completely agree. If I was a Liverpool, Everton or one of the Manchester clubs then id pick him up as 3rd/4th choice.  Grant's played twice for Man Utd in three seasons but he's a fantastic pro. I know Rob Green also had a couple of seasons in the Prem for Huddersfield & Chelsea respectively in a similar capacity. Would be a decent move for Westwood.

This may well happen. 

Go and sit on the bench for a few years, play a few games and earn a very tidy sum before hanging up the boots.